Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By Dalboy
A new toy arrived today as I asked for money as Christmas presents so I could get things I wanted.

Not a turning tool but for use on my turning

Got this airbrush to do some decorating of my turning this is for finer work not general coverage like my other one and finer than the other two cheapy brushes that came with the compressor. Made by Harder and Steenbeck and certainly feel like quality even if it is the cheaper one in their range.
Can't wait to play but other jobs to do first

DSCF8887 (800x600).jpg
By NazNomad
Is that a big paint reservoir and a small one? It's a bit shiny, innit? :-D
By Dalboy
NazNomad wrote:Is that a big paint reservoir and a small one? It's a bit shiny, innit? :-D

Yes has two sizes of paint reservoirs. I may just frame it and look at it don't want to get it dirty :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Brandlin
my other hobby is paiting toy soldiers ... shhhh dont tell anyone here i'm a nerd.

I have a few airbrushes ... harder and steenbeck is an excellent brand for detail work... whats the needle size on that one? thats far more important than cup size*

*note cup size may be important in other ... endeavours.
By Dalboy
Brandlin wrote:my other hobby is paiting toy soldiers ... shhhh dont tell anyone here i'm a nerd.

I have a few airbrushes ... harder and steenbeck is an excellent brand for detail work... whats the needle size on that one? thats far more important than cup size*

It came with a 0.2mm and a 0.4mm that is why I brought this one as i needed an air brush for more detailed work, the larger cup sizes is an handy extra
By Brandlin
Dalboy wrote:
Brandlin wrote:my other hobby is paiting toy soldiers ... shhhh dont tell anyone here i'm a nerd.

It came with a 0.2mm and a 0.4mm that is why I brought this one as i needed an air brush for more detailed work, the larger cup sizes is an handy extra

depending on the model you may be able to get a 0.15mm that fits too. I know a couple of painters that can paint the eyeballs on a 30mm tall figure with that set up. ;-)

I'm intrigued what you may do with it in a wood working context?
By Dalboy
Brandlin wrote:
depending on the model you may be able to get a 0.15mm that fits too. I know a couple of painters that can paint the eyeballs on a 30mm tall figure with that set up. ;-)

I'm intrigued what you may do with it in a wood working context?

I have a few ideas but that will be for another day. But it will be to decorate bowl rims and some hollow forms.

I use to make model boats as a hobby
By Brandlin
ah now proper wooden boat models now thats a skill..

colour me impressed and keen to see what you do
By Dalboy
Brandlin wrote:ah now proper wooden boat models now thats a skill..

colour me impressed and keen to see what you do

No longer make the boats but now make wooden models and toys as well as turning THIS IS the last model I completed Go to page 6 to see the completed model
By SVB
What paints do you plan to use. I use the ‘Golden’ transparent pre-mixed acrylics in the dropper bottles (except for white that is the solid colour) and can’t fault them.

The wonderful late Binh Pho’s dvd on airbrushing wood turnings is well worth a watch.

S
By Dalboy
SVB wrote:What paints do you plan to use. I use the ‘Golden’ transparent pre-mixed acrylics in the dropper bottles (except for white that is the solid colour) and can’t fault them.

The wonderful late Binh Pho’s dvd on airbrushing wood turnings is well worth a watch.

S

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD Simon will have to look for it. I mainly use cretex airbrush paints the wicked range but have just ordered from Ed Oliver a couple of Golden paints to try.

There are 4 video's on some techniques for airbrushing that I found on u tube
By SVB
Ok. Are the paints you have ‘solid’ colour or transparent. I’ve tried both and much prefer the latter on the work I do now.

Either way, have fun and look forward to seeing the output!

S
By Dalboy
SVB wrote:Ok. Are the paints you have ‘solid’ colour or transparent. I’ve tried both and much prefer the latter on the work I do now.

Either way, have fun and look forward to seeing the output!

S

Most are transparent I brought a set of basic colours and then got ones as I needed them
By Dalboy
Doug B wrote:I’m sure you’ll put it to good use Derek, you’re a lucky lad :D

I hope to Doug the blanks are now nearly all cut and sealed so maybe be able to get a piece of wood on the lathe and do some turning