New to turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sal Memon

Reaction score
Hi all .Having watched various videos on you tube etc etc over the past few years , I've finally decided to give it ago myself. So I went onto ebay (Dont really have a huge budget) and found this lathe ARUNDEL TYPE J4 MK II 9" SWING LATHE WOOD TURNING. Fella has owned it from new since 1977. It looks like a pretty solid machine and apparently works as it should. So should i buy this or get a newer one thats not as heavy . Personally I'm a fan of solid and bulky machines haha

Old is good as much better made than the Chinese stuff...... Check spindle size to make sure you can get additional accessories. The heavier the better as it dampens any vibration and makes the whole turning process smoother, mine is 350kg.

One thing to be aware of with the older lathes is the spindle thread may be one no longer in common use so you may find it difficult to get a chuck to fit it.

Look for something like a Coronet Major. Great starter lathe, easy to get spares for, easy to get adapter plates for.

Back