New Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack F

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have just joined this forum in the hope to share knowledge and experiences with other people who have wood working as a hobby, or maybe even as a profession, and hopefully learn a lot this way just as I might be able to offer suggestions or personal experiences.

Realising that this question has been asked before I am nevertheless asking it once again, since I believe that the market with regards to table saws are changing regularly, and that what might have been the case 6 months ago might not be the case today.

Anyway! I am planning to upgrade my current Dewalt DW745 with the aim of getting a more stationary cast iron topped 'proper' table saw. As always there is the budget limit, which seems to leave me with a choice between the AXMINSTER AW10BSB2 (in which case I would need to also get the extension tables) or the SIP 01332 (which comes with extension tables included). Either of these options would then end up costing more or less the same - in the region of £1.100.

I realise that there are other saws available like e.g. Charnwood or iTech, but as far as I am aware these are more or less copies of the other two saws produced at lower cost probably meaning lower quality and accuracy as well. I could of course be mistaken?

Living quite far away from everything I was hoping that there might be someone here who might have some experience with either of the mentioned saws, or maybe even suggestions as to a saw I have not thought of myself, as it is not going to be too easy for me to go and see the actual saws myself......at least not until I have zeroed in on which one I would like to buy.

As for my priorities I am looking for a 10" single phase saw with a precision machined cast iron top of similar size to the SIP 01332, a solid and accurate working fence, and standard sized mitre slots. I do not currently need a sliding table, but it would of course be welcome if it could be purchased and fitted later if requirements, and not least funds arise. (Axminster and SIP offer this option but in the £500+ range which I cannot currently justify (read afford)).

I can also mention that the Dewalt, that I have had for about 4 years, has served me very well and still powers on just as well as when it was brand new. The table is of course not particularly flat, the mitre slots are just a tiny bit uneven, making runners fit a little bit tight, or a little bit loose, depending on where in the slot they sit, and any fine adjusting on the saw ends up being a little bit on the rough side even when being very meticulous in setting it up. I am of course not expecting miracles within my limited budget but would hope to end up with a more precise saw, with a bigger cast iron table, and a good solid fence.

As said, any experience, tips or advise would be very much appreciated.

Jack

pretty sure the itech is the same saw made to the same standards and spec mate. also dont think sip make anything only brand stuff

not heard a bad word about the itech but im sure somone who knows more about those two will be along shortly

I wouldn't bother considering buying a new table saw personally. The quality and reliability just isn't there on most of what you can buy for less than £1500. There's plenty of much higher quality machines for much less money on the second-hand market if you're willing to go pick them up or have them couriered.

The much revered Wadkin AGS is a little gem of a table saw and you can quite often pick up a single phase one for around the £500 mark pretty much anywhere in the country. Even on your budget, you could stretch to a 3 phase Wadkin PK with sliding table and have change left over for all the gear to convert it to run on single-phase.

Single phase Sedgwick table saws often pop up for similar money to the Wadkins, Occasionally you can even pick up a nice Felder saw with sliding table for less than £1000. There's a lot of SCM L'invincible table saws with sliding tables around for less than £1000 which are very high quality (Some regard them as a higher build quality to a Wadkin).

I don't see the point in buying new when there's such amazing kit for so much less and will last a lifetime more than a new cheap machine. You won't ever lose money on a second hand machine either as they always hold a good value, New machines drop like a stone after a couple years, I've seen people buy a brand new Felder for £12K and in 4 years it's dropped to £6k worth. Same goes with the cheap with machines, Moreso I believe. You but a Charnwood, Sip, or whatever now for £1000 and in a few years it won't be worth £300. At least if you buy an old Wadkin for £500 it will still be worth that any day of the week.

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum.
I had the Axminster AW10 and found it super to use, solid and accurate. I only sold it because of the lack of space in my small workshop. I upgraded my bandsaw which has turned out to be a good compromise, but if you are looking for a new table saw then the Axi model would be a good choice in my opinion.

John

Thanks Trevanion. I am sure that you are right that a lot of money is lost when buying new - just like with cars I suppose. As for buying an old second hand Wadkin, Sedgwick or similar, I certainly find that tempting, and I will look further into that option too. I am not sure if I have the confidence though, or experience really, to decide if a deal is a good deal or not - if a machine might have seen some abuse in its life, and may require a lot of costly repair. It is that awkward time when I feel that I have grown away from my Dewalt, but have absolutely no experience with 'real' table saws/saw benches, and need to learn to 'walk' all over again. Thanks for your very good advice, which is highly appreciated.

For every tale of success making an old piece of machinery like new, there is the caveat that if its true, why is it being sold.

The Axminster AW10 gets a lot of good review on here, do a search you will find them, but do you really need a saw like that or would it be just nice to have, I went through this myself a few years ago and ended up with a smaller machine for a lot less money and have not regretted my choice, I was not restricted on space or funds, but just thought that the machine I chose was sufficient for my needs, so think carefully on what it is your needs require.

Mike

Alexfn":14ki9cnx said:
pretty sure the itech is the same saw made to the same standards and spec mate. also dont think sip make anything only brand stuff

not heard a bad word about the itech but im sure somone who knows more about those two will be along shortly

Thanks Alexfn. You might very well be right. I just read somewhere (written by someone who had the iTech) that even if it looks identical to the SIP they are made from different, or partly different components. This is the typical issue with modern lower budget machines being made in China etc. ,under several different brand names, and sometimes with very little differences if any at all.

MikeJhn":2i7gkulp said:
For every tale of success making an old piece of machinery like new, there is the caveat that if its true, why is it being sold.

The Axminster AW10 gets a lot of good review on here, do a search you will find them, but do you really need a saw like that or would it be just nice to have, I went through this myself a few years ago and ended up with a smaller machine for a lot less money and have not regretted my choice, I was not restricted on space or funds, but just thought that the machine I chose was sufficient for my needs, so think carefully on what it is your needs require.

Mike
Thanks Mike
I think that the idea was to buy an old saw, of more superior brand, and then make it like new myself, which I am not sure I am confident enough to do, but which could potentially result in a very nice saw.
I agree that you need to think about your requirements and not just aim for something that would be nice to have. I do not know if there are many smaller table saws than e.g. the Axminster AW10, maybe with the exception of the 8" Charnwood, without ending back in the 'contractors' saw category, which I am currently wanting to upgrade from (Dewalt DW745 10" 1.8kW).
Which table saw did you end up with then?
Jack

I just sold a cast iron topped table saw, with sliding table etc, in favour of buying the DeWalt DW745. The decision was primarily driven by the size (small) of my workshop not allowing me to get the best use of the machine. However, the DeWalt has exceeded expectations in the short while I've had it; not least because I can carry it outdoors when I need to cut larger pieces.

On the question of dust extraction/control It seems the older the saw the worse the extraction was, there are tales of getting the apprentice under the old Wadkins to sweep out the accumulated dust and debris, most of these older saws also seem to have lost most of their safety equipment, riving knifes and crown guards just being two, at least all the ones I look at did not have them, looking on e-bay they all seem to be missing something, motor guards, belt guards, the list goes on.

I ended up with the Axminster TS250-2, but as with all table saws the dust extraction was not as it should be, however the modifications I carried out to the TS250-2 have made it into a clean to operate machine, with better dust extraction than any other machine I have used, you may like to look at this thread: axminster-ts250-2-modifications-t102284.html this saw has taken everything I have thrown at it, including 70mm oak, there are reviews on the Axi web site that say it wont run a Feud blade, its nonsense, I run Feud blades, but the right one for the job, if you try to use a 80 tooth blade to rip down a length of 60mm timber it will stall and/or burn, but use the right blade as in a 40 tooth and it will sail through without protest.

Mike

matt":12v9defk said:
I just sold a cast iron topped table saw, with sliding table etc, in favour of buying the DeWalt DW745. The decision was primarily driven by the size (small) of my workshop not allowing me to get the best use of the machine. However, the DeWalt has exceeded expectations in the short while I've had it; not least because I can carry it outdoors when I need to cut larger pieces.

Too bad......we could have swapped then! The DW745 is a great saw, particularly for construction and such, and very mobile, but I need something with more accuracy and a bigger cast iron table.

Back