New table saw? Lumberjack TS1800

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack9595

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought I'd draw some attention to a new (?) table saw I saw listed on ebay. I've been keeping my eyes open for a table saw for a while and frequently check for local listing when I spotted this one. It looks to be a rebranded Ridgid R4512 (Which is only avaliable in the US). Cast iron top, induction motor... Sounds too good to be true.

Not sure how long these have been out so I was wondering if anyone has one or if anyone has any "Lumberjack" tools in general. It looks like rebranded draper / sealey type stuff.

The blade speed of 2800 seems low? I know it's something that people have slight issue with with the Evolution Rage machines which are similar. About jald the speed of things like the dewalt 745 and no doubt many others.

Maybe it doesn't really matter.

I do see the lumberjack stuff being pushed heavily on ebay so someone is spending money on getting it in front of eyes.

Interestingly, the website lists it as able to sport a 13/16ths dado stack as well as a 100mm port for dust.

I do wonder if the motor is hung off the table or directly connected to the blade or not.

DBT85":1o0fazgh said:
The blade speed of 2800 seems low? I know it's something that people have slight issue with with the Evolution Rage machines which are similar. About jald the speed of things like the dewalt 745 and no doubt many others.

That speed is very low if the number for the RPM is correct, in an ideal world you want the rim speed of a circular saw to be around 50-60m/s. The given RPM on a 250mm blade that would work out to be about 36m/s which will mean it will cut slower and less cleanly compared to a blade running at a proper speed. 4500RPM is about the ideal speed for a 10" blade.

Perhaps they mean the actual motor speed is 2800RPM (common speed for an induction motor) but with a pair of pulleys that ramps up the blade to the correct speed?

It's an old one. The website itself says it's the blade speed but also an induction motor.

Would it be hooked up directly on a saw this size?

Interestingly, lumberjacktools.co.uk is owned by toolsave, a tool retailer for the last 15 years or so.

I sent an enquiry about the blade speed so I'll report back if they reply.

Got a reply, it is the blade RPM and it is belt driven. So its a 1:1 to the induction motor. Makes sense as the Rigid version is also a 3400 RPM unit and induction over there would run at that too.

I did also suggest getting one to someone on youtube to use but that I don't have a channel of my own!

When I looked up the Rigid R4512 to compare the specs to the Lumberjack, a lot of the initial results were in regards to blade alignment issues. These were from a few years back and the manufacturing process could've changed / improved since, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence to see a previous flaw in the design.

It is nice to see another Amercian-type table saw available on the UK market at least, there should be more of them readily available. Previously I owned a contractor saw similar to a Grizzly G1022 and it was a fantastic bit of kit, stacked dado set and all. I wish I still had it today.

I thought it might be worth me updating this thread as I recently bought this table.

I'm pretty happy with it so far, but I've only just finished setting it all up (ie blade and fence aligned etc).

The blade seems to stay aligned if I raise and lower the blade so that's great. Everything seems pretty solid and the motor is pretty quiet compared to my previous (much cheaper) table saws. I suspect the dust extraction might even be a bit louder than the saw itself.

With regards to the blade speed the blade that comes with it had 7000rpm printed on it.

All in all I'm pretty happy, especially as Lumberjack told me that the table saw does support dado blades (but they can't advertise this due to EU laws).

MrSafferty":2ad96f0k said:
but they can't advertise this due to EU laws).

Yeah, that's not true.

It will be interesting to get your thoughts on it after you've had it for a bit.

I'm interested by the dimensions given and how this goes about extending. The webpage says "Table size: 512 x 685 mm, Extended 1015 x 685 mm" - how much of the table is cast iron? Is 512x865 the cast part and, what looks like a pressed steel plate on the left, and possibly the right too what they mean by extended, are the rails on the right telescopic?

Also that fence, how is it ?

Nearly forgot, how big (wide) are the mitre slots?

Sorry, many questions :)

MrSafferty":n7oznpqw said:
I thought it might be worth me updating this thread as I recently bought this table.

I'm pretty happy with it so far, but I've only just finished setting it all up (ie blade and fence aligned etc).

The blade seems to stay aligned if I raise and lower the blade so that's great. Everything seems pretty solid and the motor is pretty quiet compared to my previous (much cheaper) table saws. I suspect the dust extraction might even be a bit louder than the saw itself.

With regards to the blade speed the blade that comes with it had 7000rpm printed on it.

All in all I'm pretty happy, especially as Lumberjack told me that the table saw does support dado blades (but they can't advertise this due to EU laws).
I suspect that the blade speed on the blade is what it is rated to not what it spins at in that saw.

Do keep us updated on how it's working out for you!

I'd need need to measure the table (which I can do tomorrow) but I'd guess it's 512 x 512 as I'm fairly certain it's square. But I'll follow up tomorrow with the actual measurement.

The pressed steel is absolutely rock solid too - initially I was concerned about it but when I lifted them out of the box I wasn't worried anymore. They're heavy and solid - very stable from the little I've used it so far.

By extended they mean the support plates on the left and right, as well as the rails - they extend past the width of the cast iron table to the right, but once installed they're fixed. I'm not sure I fully understand the benefit of the un-extended measurement as the size once all installed is fixed to the larger dimension.

The fence is great - I've had to adjust it a little (which was pretty straightforward) but since then it's been solid and easy to use. It has slots on the top for jigs etc and it's generally well thought out.

The mitre slots are 3/4"/19mm wide I think - but I'll double check tomorrow.

I should stress that I've only used it to check alignment etc and made a few cuts to ensure all is square, so my impressions are only my initial ones so far :)

DBT85":34ymtq0m said:
I suspect that the blade speed on the blade is what it is rated to not what it spins at in that saw.

That's interesting - I don't know enough about that side of things yet. Thanks

MrSafferty":17xq7but said:
I'd need need to measure the table (which I can do tomorrow) but I'd guess it's 512 x 512 as I'm fairly certain it's square. But I'll follow up tomorrow with the actual measurement.

The pressed steel is absolutely rock solid too - initially I was concerned about it but when I lifted them out of the box I wasn't worried anymore. They're heavy and solid - very stable from the little I've used it so far.

By extended they mean the support plates on the left and right, as well as the rails - they extend past the width of the cast iron table to the right, but once installed they're fixed. I'm not sure I fully understand the benefit of the un-extended measurement as the size once all installed is fixed to the larger dimension.

The fence is great - I've had to adjust it a little (which was pretty straightforward) but since then it's been solid and easy to use. It has slots on the top for jigs etc and it's generally well thought out.

The mitre slots are 3/4"/19mm wide I think - but I'll double check tomorrow.

I should stress that I've only used it to check alignment etc and made a few cuts to ensure all is square, so my impressions are only my initial ones so far :)

Any updates on your saw yet? I'm looking to purchase a TS and this has piqued my interest! Have you had a look at the belt yet? Not to teach you to suck eggs, but if the pulley wheels are both the same size then the blade speed will be 1:1 i.e. the same speed as the motor. If the pulley wheel at the blade side is half the size of the motor wheel, then the speed will be roughly double.

I've just taken delivery of one of these.

For the money it's decent but far from perfect.

The cast iron top is well finished but take a straight edge and a feeler gauge and you'll find gaps, that's said they are all just about withing the BS for a hand plane so not a massive issue.

Assembly is pretty awful, screw hole alignment is poor and a threads are not parallel cut so be prepared to accept some cross threading. The folded sheet steel wings are solid but not flat and square so will take some forceful manipulation. Fitting the fence rails is also fiddly as pineapple.

The supplied mitre gauge is pointless for precision cutting - par for the course with most included mitre gauges so not to fussed as have a decent after market gauge.

On the plus side the fence can be square up without to much hassle and the plastic cheeks seem square.
Making a zero clearance throat plate is pretty easy compared to some other saws - use 12mm ply.
The NVR is great with a great big off paddle making it easy to turn off with the knee.
Dust collection seems decent.

The motor is smooth and seems to cut hard wood well but not as eagerly as some other saws with bigger motors I've tried.

I was looking at the iTech at about £300 more but not seen it in the flesh so can't comment.

The Lumberjack is good for what it costs, just be prepared to spend some time putting together and setting up.

Petey83":2jz47w3f said:

Hi Petey, nice one on your new saw, but just out of curiosity (ha yup OK I have a vested interest) did it have a CE certification page in the manual?

This post is not intended to say it hasn't or cause any concern, but I'd like to know if it has been officially CE certified as I know we had to change the paddle stop switch on Laguna Fusions to conventional NVR red/green push buttons.

I agree paddle off switches make more sense in the real world.

Thanks, Nick

Nick Laguna UK":3uvesgx0 said:
Petey83":3uvesgx0 said:

Hi Petey, nice one on your new saw, but just out of curiosity (ha yup OK I have a vested interest) did it have a CE certification page in the manual?

This post is not intended to say it hasn't or cause any concern, but I'd like to know if it has been officially CE certified as I know we had to change the paddle stop switch on Laguna Fusions to conventional NVR red/green push buttons.

I agree paddle off switches make more sense in the real world.

Thanks, Nick

I'd have to check in all honesty Nick. For what it's worth my Bosch site had a paddle cover as well - I suppose the difference on that is it covers the on button fully if that makes the difference.

My understanding of CE is that all Machines in the UK have to be CE marked or has this changed post Brexit? .gov website suggests nothing's changed and it's still required.

I cant remember which machine it was, but I bought one with a paddle emergency stop. But it was just a normal NVR underneath which required you to lift the paddle to push the green button.
As it didnt match anything else i just removed it so all the machines have the same start / stop arrangement.

Back