New old lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been bitten and i need a larger capacity lathe so i can comfortably turn up to 12-14" bowls/platters.

I think i'd like to go for an older model, does anyone have an old lathe that they love and think its worth waiting around for? I've seen a few union jubilees going but are these adequately weighted and powerful enough for my needs? Ideally i don't want to (/cant) spend more than £500!

your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Joe

A jubilee lathe is perfectly adequate. £500 should get you a single phase example easy enough. If you look hard enough you might find a Graduate. Both these machines are built to last. The Grad is probably the better of the two due to the full cast iron construction. The jubilee has a steel trunk. Changing the bearings in these lathes is fairly easy and worth doing.
Chris

I have a myford mystro variable speed lathe which I have found to be superb, and to be honest I dont ever foresee having to upgrade, bearings and belts are easily sourced as are inserts for different chucks. Look about you can probably pick up a decent one for less than £400.

Hi John, have a Mystro maybe you could help me? Do you have the bearing numbers for the headstock? All I can find are the Myford part numbers which bear no resemblance to the bearing type numbers I need. Also if I may could I ask which grease you use to lube them?
Kindest regards
Paul

Back