UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jalker

Reaction score
Would like to say hi to everyone :D

I just brought a Axminster Trade Series Precision Pro Lathe and really like it.

The problem i have is that axminster does not make a chuck for this lathe. I have searched Google for hours on end and still can't find one to fit the 24x1mm thread that the collet system uses, think it's a ER20.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Keg

Hi Keg. Unfortunately I think you're out of luck with getting a chuck to match the unusual spindle thread on that lathe. Axminster do sell a faceplate for that lathe, and Mike Waldt does a series of great videos on Youtube showing how to go about turning items without a chuck, but often using a faceplate (watch?v=zH7EpmTqvfQ).

CHJ posted on another thread a means of mounting an ISO chuck to a faceplate, or you could buy a Versachuck with an unthreaded backplate and get it threaded somewhere - you'd still have the chuck if you upgraded, you'd just need another backplate.

Sad to say I think you have purchased the wrong tool if your target was chuck mounted turnings.
Suspect design specification are intended for precision spindle turning and light decorative work, I doubt it was designed to carry the loads a standard wood chuck would present.

It would be possible for someone with a metal lathe to provide you with an adapted 50mm micro chuck to fit the collet system or the faceplate but these are designed for metal holding not wood clamping. This sort of thing may be OK for Jewellery type projects.

If you purchase/obtain a faceplate which has the correct thread, with a metal lathe you would only need to turn a small amount of the front face to make it fit the back of a versachuck. Easier than custom threading a blank faceplate.

Thanks for all the ssuggestions. Gives me loads to think about and try out.For now i think the videos showing how to work without a chuck will be the best way to go.
I'm so glad to find these forums can't believe how quick all these nice people got to send me such helpful information.

Thanks keg

I would suspect that a 100mm VersaChuck would not be an ideal addition to such a lathe, it's a heavy beast.
The lathe has a brush motor with 400-3,600rpm speed range. that's a lot of start up inertia for a lathe weighing just 22 kg without any wood loads such a chuck might encourage.

Think in terms of using the screw chuck, faceplate sacrificial wood and hot melt glue for such items as fruit and small boxes.

Back