UKWorkshop Woodworking Forums

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018, 12:42 
Participant

HI Everyone

I've had a workshop build in mind since we moved to our new place a few years back and I thought to go about it in the way on "Mike's workshop build" post.

However, my wife's fed up of me commandeering the two front rooms as workshop space and reckons it will be a lot faster to get the brickies in who built our extension.

I'd be really grateful for any advice on the pros and cons of a block or brick workshop (single or double skinned) vs. Mike's type of timber built one.

Also, in terms of permitted development, I'd ideally like to be higher than 2.5m does this mean 1 or 2m from the boundary?

Many many thanks!!!

Aidex :P

PS - All the best for 2018 to everyone! :deer

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Digg
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018, 13:42 
Settled in Member

Hi,
Assuming you live in an area that benefits from Permitted Development rights you can have a ridge height of up to 4m as long as it has pitched roof. For this you need to be more than 2m from the boundary. In either case the eaves height is a max of 2.5m.

Which is a better construction depends on a number of factors including access to the site, your capabilities if you intend to build yourself, how insulated you want it to be and I guess what you prefer. I have built a single skin block garage in the past rendered to match the house but that needed planning permission which wasn't too difficult and I drew the plans up myself. Personally I wouldn't compromise what I wanted to just avoid PP.

I'm thinking of putting up a home office at the moment but my current thinking is a block building with a cedar cladding so you can mix and match to some extent. Unfortunately I live in an AONB so have no permitted development rights. My workshop hasn't started yet but will be subterranean given the site and consequently quite expensive. Need to get my finger out and put the PP application in.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018, 13:56 
A Regular Member

If the pockets are deep enough for a brick building I would go that direction. I would also pop into a friendly estate agent and find out what sort or additional building adds the most value in your area. I.e.have in mind what the next owner may want, Office, work room, gym, granny flat etc etc. I would then plan and build it with the second use in mind......without compromising your intended use. It’s perfectly possible to achieve a design that will add more value to your house than it costs to build / gain planning permission.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018, 16:25 
Valued Contributor

To fit the same amount of insulation into a brick wall as a timber wall you will need walls up to 200mm thicker. Most people can't afford that sort of space, but if you can, brick and block is a perfectly good alternative (albeit much, much more expensive). Timber frame is definitely quicker, too.

How to build a shed properly: here

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018, 17:40 
Settling In

I built a block workshop approx. 2 years ago, it’s 12ft wide by 30ft long, we put a natural slate roof on which was in keeping with the house. Rendered the outside and painted. Our other option was for a log cabin type construction. They both worked out very similar costs, however, the one I have will last significantly longer and is more secure

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2018, 19:09 
Settled in Member

I'm moving house very soon, and i've just finished taking my shed down to move to the new property.
My timber framed shed was built nearly 3 years ago based on the design of MikeG.
Now i know 3 years is not long to judge a shed's life expectancy but 2017 was quite a damp and wet year here in my part of Norfolk.
And i can happily report that every part of that shed is in as good condition as it was when i made it.
I would guess that in 10 years and more it would still be sound.
No signs of damp or rot whatsoever.