Need a bit of help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nandesuka

Reaction score
Hi,
Not only am I new to the forum, but also woodworking. However in my wisdom, I decided to make some tool boxes for all my other tools. I have lots of sockets, ratchets, extensions, files spanners , taps, dies, drills, etc.etc.. I decided to do this by recessing shaped holes in a board and then fitting a box around it. I decided that the easiest way to do this was with a router. While shopping in Lidl, I saw they had a router for sale for £30 so bought it. Got it home and checked it out. It didn't seem to be a bad bit of kit. I wasn't going to spend a lot on a high end unit in case things went the wrong way up. I then decided that i needed a router table. The same expense rules applying, so i bought a second hand Trend CRT Mk2 off fleabay for £50. Trend seem to have a good rep. The thing is, it only comes with a fence and extractor connection. I'd like to get a few things like featherboards and such for it, but there seems to be a distinct lack of places on the net where I can get the trend items. I realise that the table is discontinued but thoght parts would still be available. Can anybody give me advice on where to go, or can I get other items that will fit?
Cheers,
Nandesuka

Youtube is your friend, there are plenty of helpful videos and I am sure there will a fellow woodworker along soon to give further advice.

Welcome and happy woodworking.

John

Welcome, Nandesuka. I am sure someone will be along in a minute with an answer to your principle query, but I just wanted to say that the very first auxiliary item you should have is a push stick, or preferably two. You can make these yourself out of scrap wood, or buy plastic ones.........but a self-taught newcomer to woodworking is at very high risk when it comes to a router table, and you really don't want your fingers anywhere near the work.

Roxie":215andr8 said:
Youtube is your friend.......

........and your mortal enemy. There are 10 idiots on there showing you the wrong way to do things for every one person doing it properly.

The most sensible advice would be to try and find a day course on using a router. Many people are lucky enough to grow up working around such things, but if you're not one of them I would be reluctant to say just watch some videos as very small errors can result in unpleasant and potentially injury producing results. It sounds like you have some experience with tools and stuff so it shouldn't take much to get you going.
Best wishes.

Axminster Power Tools have just realeased an instructional video on using a router. I have not watched it myself but would expect the content to be of a good standard.
Code:
https://youtu.be/X-JZfJKPIKs

If it looks dangerous, then it probably is. Routers frighten the willies out of me, and free hand always seem to leap about and take lumps out of the workpiece. Very groovy tool ( #-o ) but a bit like riding a horse - everything is going great, until suddenly it isn't, and then you have the embarrassing task of asking your wife if she has seen your other fingers. (Wives always know where everything is.)

You can make featherboards, and most other jigs - YouTube has it all, but Americans are famous for laughing in the face of danger, and being immune to safety features.[youtube]BJmdSgWeaas[/youtube]

Aren't we a bunch of sad old fuddie-duddies. Have fun, make cool stuff, and post it on the forum.

Oh, and try to keep all your fingers attached. Really.

"Mastering the Router, a complete course" by Ron Fox.
ISBN 1 86108 194 4
Is the book to get. Written by an acknowledged expert. Covers all the basics.

Bod

Hi all,
Thanks everyone for the safety advice. Mike G, I've already got a pusher stick which came with my Evolution table saw.
On the safety side, I'm an ex marine then maintenance engineer. I think the most dangerous thing encountered when I was at sea was my wife who I met in Japan. I'm not unfamiliar with lathes, drills, shapers, millers grinders etc. and up to now still have all fingers and tootsies. At sea it's one hand for the job and one hand for yourself, especially when the ships rolling and I think that's a good base for making sure you're doing something in a safe manner.
Again, thanks everyone.
Nandesuka

Hi Fezman,
Thanks. I logged on to the site and registered. I put some part numbers in that I got from a users manual on line. The answer came back "no results found". I've sent an email asking why.
Regards,
nandesuka

Latest posts

Back