Nearly finished oak staircase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been making these for the last couple weeks. Got around to fitting them yesterday.
3959bbe2dea4bea44346603ec09a76d8.jpg

c2dcb8bf979e89b69a24cd115302d1b6.jpg

1cf53240da58531ebf8c88a8c04fd2d9.jpg

aff3bb6ae303fa5afe3b0df564e258af.jpg

Hopefully they will have had a lick of osmo by now. Haven't made winders for a while so it was a relief when everything fitted o.k. The builders gonna plaster/dot and dab them in so that'll fill up the wiggle room gaps around the outside. It's the first time I've ever had to leave the top nosing sticking up so an oak wooden floor can butt into it. Just the glass panels and nosings to follow (once the floors down)

My next job is windows and doors to match existing mouldings. Tbh it's not very exciting, but it keeps the money coming in. That's also oak, so I'm looking forward to smashing some big rebates out of it to make it a little lighter ! ha

Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Six winders.....that's not something you see every day.

Does this need to be passed by the Building Inspector? (Is the minimum going at the newel 50mm?)

I'm hoping they'll pass inspection Mike
683c2e57bce15f70fd1ca27473bcc4e5.jpg

[WINKING FACE]

Oh good, an optical illusion then.

Funnily enough I had almighty trouble drawing a stair the other day and the answer was to do as you seem to have done.....not have all the winders springing from the same point.

MikeG.":2ie0r5dt said:
Oh good, an optical illusion then.

Funnily enough I had almighty trouble drawing a stair the other day and the answer was to do as you seem to have done.....not have all the winders springing from the same point.
It does take a bit of faffing around to get the going 50mm on the newel. The easiest way would be to have a whopping great post and work off the same point but that would look out of place and need joining. I do always wonder if a building inspector would or even could check it. Even though it's only got a minimum of 50mm it's also got the 25mm nosing and a riser underneath supporting it.
The biggest unknown I have with building inspectors and stairs is the continuous handrail. I'm half expecting he'll want it going all the way around the wall. Generally builders/clients prefer not to have it but occasionally I get the odd phone call saying it has to be done to pass regs. Bisecting and joining all those angles is fun ! Ha.

There's also the question of how they measure 50mm as it goes around a corner (of the newel). I had a Building Inspector once say that the 50mm was "as the crow flies".........ie direct from one nosing to the line of the next, measured through the depth of the newel. I put this to another, and he laughed.

Do you think it's just a recommendation for strength ? I'd have thought the going in the centre of the tread is more important.

No, it's because people walk around the inside of turns in a stair, and if you don't have a minimum going you actually just have a vertical ladder with 25mm nosings as the only thing to get a toe-hold onto. I have walked up old cottage stairs with such an arrangement and they're damned lethal. Of course, the correct going at the centreline is a building regs requirement. It's almost impossible to check accurately in situ on a stair, so building inspectors just take a quick spot measurement and check that its roughly OK.

You've used a rectangular newel to get over the difficulties of getting 6 nosings to work, which is fine. More often you see a double newel, with one post going all the way up, and a secondary (short) post planted on one face to give the necessary wider face to take the extra nosings. That's even necessary with 4 winders, never mind 6.

It's hard to see any real benefit from the increased going at the newel post compared to the traditional method of lining up the front face of the risers with the centre point of the newel post. The increase in tread width at the walking line is very small.
As already suggested, you can use a much wider newel post, or, put the first and last risers of the winders into the strings to make more travel.
As an ancient woodworker I have made flights under both sets of rules, I always set them out in full size plan view.
Mike.

ColeyS1":2ilvx2uj said:
I've been making these for the last couple weeks. Got around to fitting them yesterday.

Blimey, that's impressive!

I wouldn't know where to begin on a job like that, but I bet measuring and laying it all out is a very satisfying challenge.

=D>

I built a new staircase for our house a couple of years ago. It has two 90-degree turns rather than the 180 degree turn yours has. I found the layout difficult and it was further complicated by having to fit in to the existing stairway and all the structural work behind the stairs, a lot of which had shifted in the 120 years since the house was built. Also the stairway walls have wood panelling and I needed to avoid messing around with that and keep it looking nice with no gaps. The biggest issue though was to achieve consistent risers. The old stairs had seemingly random height steps and I made a consistent step height a priority. I did achieve that but what a headache it was! A story stick was invaluable.

Great work Coley. Stunning. I'd have love to had similar installed in mine. Look forward to seeing the finished job if you can post some pics?
Unfortunately, because I'm a Billionaire but really don't want anyone to know I had mine made from Ancient Bog Oak, glued up with zebra hide glue then lovingly veneered in MDF. (Can't have the friends and family knowing about the money an' that ya see . They'd never leave me alone).
I hate to besmirch this thread with my oiky new stairs (but where else am I going to be able to ask the likes of yourselves if I need to install a handrail to comply with regs. Sorry Coley. I'm a little embarrassed but if it helps I was down the shed this morning at 7 am with a hangover knocking up a stolen idea epoxy sanding blank and wishing i was dead while gagging on the fumes. Can't remember where I got the idea for the sanding blank from... :wink:
Onwards and upwards. Might as well front it out.

Photo 1
OpbWOtM.jpg

You can see from this picture just how well the Elvish makers have applied the mdf veneer. Fair play to the pointy eared little beggars, they have even painstakingly applied the illusion of plaster stains to the treads. You have to wonder at the workmanship... Mind blowing attention to detail.
So the handrail would be attached to the right hand wall if necessary.
The recess on the left is due to be 'bookshelfed' by yours truly. Probably sometime in 2347 at this rate.
I'm currently trying to convince the Wise One that slanty shelves will be a design feature to save me some working out and maths and stuff.
Picture the conversation....
Yeh, if you want level shelves, I'd probably need to buy a table saw because of physics and that love or we could have my idea of slanty shelves and I can save us money on a table saw. Its pretty obvious when you look at it that way love...
Joking aside I would actually like to fit it with slanted shelves. The Wise One is yet to be convinced.... Other than gravitational forces (and who worries about them) I personally can't see an issue.
[-o<

Picture 2
hlpjvVp.jpg

I only include this picture to show just how good my undercoating skills are.
This is not a white balance issue on my rubbish phone camera. It's a God given gift at decorating.
Just saying. Look at the post and newel. Probably a bit like how that Paul fella turned out when he was off to Damascus.
Skills. Just saying. If you've led a troubled life, take a moment to look, because this is as close to Heaven you will get.
Heathen.

Picture 3:
OFAYYwV.jpg

I only include this one because I was baffled to how they would finish the back of the stairs. I could not figure it.
Then they tacked a load of mesh up and I'm standing there trying not to look concerned.
*Thinks to self: are they making one of them volcano things with Bicarb and poster paint?
Keep quiet Chris, keep very quiet.

And thank the Lord for a proper plasterer. Man is a Genius.

Annnyway. So do I need a handrail then?

Thanks Mike. Much appreciated. Grub screws it is then. And it whip it off once the fella has passed it. Smoke and mirrors. Or it would be if we could afford mirrors. Or smoke.

Mike Jordan":207hgb6s said:
It's hard to see any real benefit from the increased going at the newel post compared to the traditional method of lining up the front face of the risers with the centre point of the newel post. The increase in tread width at the walking line is very small.
That's the way I look at it as well Mike. I had one tread that meant the nosing came right on the edge of the newel if I stuck to the 50mm. I shimmied it along a little so it meant the nosing was a couple mm back from the newel post corner - good luck to the building inspector if he wants to argue over a couple mm.

custard":f7khyoo9 said:
ColeyS1":f7khyoo9 said:

Blimey, that's impressive!

I wouldn't know where to begin on a job like that, but I bet measuring and laying it all out is a very satisfying challenge.

=D>
Thanks Custard, but it's really not impressive compared to what you do. Making the full size rod requires the most thought along with not forgetting everything else that's going on on site such as headroom, floor levels etc. Once those have all been checked off its pretty methodical. The rise never changes, so it's just a case of housing the right amount of treads. It's nice when it fits together in the shop, it's nice when it goes together on site, but it's even better when the builders have gave it a lick of something so it doesn't start getting grubby as soon as I leave it. I'd have loved to have been a furniture maker, I always enjoy seeing your projects... with a little bit of envy lol.

Coley

Bm101":34o8kaah said:
Great work Coley. Stunning. I'd have love to had similar installed in mine. Look forward to seeing the finished job if you can post some pics?
Unfortunately, because I'm a Billionaire but really don't want anyone to know I had mine made from Ancient Bog Oak, glued up with zebra hide glue then lovingly veneered in MDF. (Can't have the friends and family knowing about the money an' that ya see . They'd never leave me alone).
I hate to besmirch this thread with my oiky new stairs (but where else am I going to be able to ask the likes of yourselves if I need to install a handrail to comply with regs. Sorry Coley. I'm a little embarrassed but if it helps I was down the shed this morning at 7 am with a hangover knocking up a stolen idea epoxy sanding blank and wishing i was dead while gagging on the fumes. Can't remember where I got the idea for the sanding blank from... :wink:
Onwards and upwards. Might as well front it out.

Photo 1
OpbWOtM.jpg

You can see from this picture just how well the Elvish makers have applied the mdf veneer. Fair play to the pointy eared little beggars, they have even painstakingly applied the illusion of plaster stains to the treads. You have to wonder at the workmanship... Mind blowing attention to detail.
So the handrail would be attached to the right hand wall if necessary.
The recess on the left is due to be 'bookshelfed' by yours truly. Probably sometime in 2347 at this rate.
I'm currently trying to convince the Wise One that slanty shelves will be a design feature to save me some working out and maths and stuff.
Picture the conversation....
Yeh, if you want level shelves, I'd probably need to buy a table saw because of physics and that love or we could have my idea of slanty shelves and I can save us money on a table saw. Its pretty obvious when you look at it that way love...
Joking aside I would actually like to fit it with slanted shelves. The Wise One is yet to be convinced.... Other than gravitational forces (and who worries about them) I personally can't see an issue.
[-o<

Picture 2
hlpjvVp.jpg

I only include this picture to show just how good my undercoating skills are.
This is not a white balance issue on my rubbish phone camera. It's a God given gift at decorating.
Just saying. Look at the post and newel. Probably a bit like how that Paul fella turned out when he was off to Damascus.
Skills. Just saying. If you've led a troubled life, take a moment to look, because this is as close to Heaven you will get.
Heathen.

Picture 3:
OFAYYwV.jpg

I only include this one because I was baffled to how they would finish the back of the stairs. I could not figure it.
Then they tacked a load of mesh up and I'm standing there trying not to look concerned.
*Thinks to self: are they making one of them volcano things with Bicarb and poster paint?
Keep quiet Chris, keep very quiet.

And thank the Lord for a proper plasterer. Man is a Genius.

Annnyway. So do I need a handrail then?

Chris there's nowt wrong with those stairs !!!! I struggle to find fault with anyone who trys making things themselves instead of paying others. That takes grit and determination and judging by your photos you did a good job [WINKING FACE] I'm intregried to what your stolen....half off head idea you were making this morning. I think copying is the best form of flattery so this was my attempt today.
9c25e33baa2bbc2e72b8428c9651b908.jpg

d586d6dbc821b51c74f5b1e022d0b1a5.jpg

d4983ab60eff2db268309352771bad27.jpg

dbf4325098bd337af080215fc6a6eeb6.jpg

It was a good tablesaw excercise. I just made it to see if it was possible- I'll smash it up later wink wink [WINKING FACE]
Cheers
Coley
I'm tempted to ask what's your poison ? I've got 10 litres of still cider in a box that's apparently only good for a couple weeks lol.

Ah, I'm afraid I didn't make them Coley. A bloke made them up on a cnc. I did help fit them though which was, let's say, interesting, due to the architect being a dead loss.
Hence the makeshift space on the left that's now to due to be bookshelves and a slightly smaller bathroom. Still. Where there's a will there's a way eh?

Funny you mention still cider. :D
I get mine delivered on a pallet (really) from the Lyme Bay Winery. Award winning organic Jack Ratt scrumpy. Bosh. (hammer)
https://www.lymebaywinery.co.uk
Not sure about it going off... best to crack on just in case. :wink:

The epoxy was just a bullnose sanding blank. Great idea.

Love the cow. Very mooving. Don't break it up. Leave it on a local roundabout and bring a smile to some faces while they go to work mate.