NAILER / STAPLER - best option

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
As I don’t have an air compressor I was looking at a cored version, so, I was considering the Tacwise Duo Corded. Does anyone have any experience or better suggestion? I would like to stay under £80 ish, so if someone suggested an air compressor and Nailer, that would work.

I bought a Tacwise nailer and it is rubbish. Doesn't work anymore and is in the tool graveyard now.

If you shop around, you can get a small compressor for about £80 and air tools are not that dear. Over your budget i know but that is the route i would take. Good quality corded nailers/staplers are expensive in comparison. I wasted £80 on the Tacwise.

This has come up a couple of times before, the best corded brad nailers by a country mile are an Italian brand (who's name I forget!) they're the ones you see in most professional workshops and the ones that most flooring installers use..

I use an Arrow EBN 320, not the best but I think it was still a couple of hundred quid (although used ones crop up for about £50 or so)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjTAsx-qumw

it works fine and has lasted well, but if I was using a corded nailer all day long I'd certainly be upgrading to the Italian version. Drop much below the Arrow and to be honest I'd rather just use a warrington hammer. The cheaper corded ones are underpowered and pretty erratic in the depth that they sink the brad, plus they're very susceptible to jams and breakdowns.

I also purchased an electric stapler/tacker, it was rubbish and went back after one trial use. A compressor is a must.

custard":1sv38cdv said:
This has come up a couple of times before, the best corded brad nailers by a country mile are an Italian brand (who's name I forget!)...
That’d be Maestri; had mine for donkeys years, completely bulletproof. Put off buying one for ages (price) but worth every penny if you have the need for one, long-term.

I’ve forgotten how many Tacwise nailer/staplers I’d gone through prior to getting the Maestri - too many, and best avoided IMHO.

As mentioned above, for your kind of budget then a small compressor and air tools is the way to go, unless you need the extreme portability an electric will provide, in which case you need to up your budget.

HTH P

I have had a Rapesco (spelling may be wrong) for many years. Used mainly for staples with no problems. I also have air powered ones so it does not get used so much these days.

Many thanks all, glad didn't go for it....What are peoples recommendations for a small shop air compressor?

skipdiver":3afnzi8g said:
I bought a Tacwise nailer and it is rubbish. Doesn't work anymore and is in the tool graveyard now.

If you shop around, you can get a small compressor for about £80 and air tools are not that dear. Over your budget i know but that is the route i would take. Good quality corded nailers/staplers are expensive in comparison. I wasted £80 on the Tacwise.
Tacwise do air tools. I have a tacwise air stapler (obviously demands of it are different to a nailer) It is actually pretty good. Wife has used it for quite a few reupholstery jobs and I've used it for a few canvas frames. It is holding up well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0094F ... ds=Tacwise

I have a Makita air nailer and it doesn't seem significantly better in quality and operation.

ScottGoddard":bkmzm1te said:
Many thanks all, glad didn't go for it....What are peoples recommendations for a small shop air compressor?
I have a small 6Litre SGS (UK brand) compressor that I got about 18 months ago. It seems to be fine. Light enough to lug between to workshop and house.

Fine for Brad nailing and stapling jobs. You probably want something bigger for anything else...

Get a super silent compressor, also known as oilless or dental compressor, you can pick them up second hand for not much. Bambi are a well known make but there are others. I have one for small tools and for blowing chips off machines when I don't need to fire up the noisy big boy. I have it on a remote socket and its a joy to use :) I plumbed in the big 'un with copper pipe and PCL fittings down the metalwork side of the workshop and have the little quiet compressor down the woodwork side but haven't plumbed it in yet. I can hardly tell its running.

I’ve got a silent compressor as well and it does make the tool so much more usable. Mine is 50l and 3hp so enough for my needs.

I think Aldi or Lidl do one from time to time for £80. Not sure of the quality but it would come with a 3 year warranty. If it's just for nailing, then a small one will do, but if you want to use it for anything more air thirsty, it will be striking up constantly.

I also have an airmaster from Machine Mart, though slightly bigger than that one. I borrowed it from work a few years back and never got around to taking it back. They never asked, so i kept it.

From everything I have been told in the past a compressor if worth having should be belt drive and twin cylinder, but then I don't know anything about them.

Mike

thanks all, if i buy a compressor i would like to buy one that can also support spraying, inflating tyres and if possible air guns.....What size would i need for this?

There's a weird thing about compressors in professional cabinet workshops. Anyone under the age of about 25 just loves them. They constantly dust down their work with compressed air, blow their clothes clean at the end of the day, and assemble their jigs with an air powered brad nailer. But anyone over about 40 rarely touches them.

It's like workshop aprons, anyone under 25 wouldn't be seen dead in an apron. Over 40, and they never take them off!

Back