Myford ML8 headstock bearings.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weg

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know where I can get some new bearings for Myford ML8,any suggestions would be appreciated. Regards Weg.... (hammer)

Hi Weg,
Your lathe may have either imperial, earlier lathes or metric, later lathes, bearings. Try bearing boys or simply bearings for both, Give them the numbers stamped on the outer races, they are single row angular contact bearings.
hope tis helps, Paul

Assuming it's the common imperial version the bearings are coded MJT1 for the outer race and MJT 1 1/8 for the inner one. Readily available - though you may need to be sitting down when you look at the prices these days.

You need to make up a tool to extract the old bearings - PM me if you need more details

Hi. I've been fixing up my Myford ML8. The spindle has some lateral play in the headstock. I'm assuming new bearing are needed.
Can you please describe the tool I need to make up to extract the old ones
Thanks

Hello You will need three short (about 25mm) lengths of 3mm dia silver steel and a piece of brass or aluminium plate about 70mm square and 8 or 10mm thick.
Once you have the sindle removed you will see three small holes in the inside ofdthe headstock arranged in a triangle corresponding to the diameter of the outer race you are going to remove. Fit he pins in tholes until they reach the race and then place the brass/ally plate on all three. Using a drift through the opposite bearing you sholld be able to knock out the bearing race to the outside of the headstock. This is a bit of a game as the races are very tight but take your time to get all the bits level and give the drift a solid whack not lots of little taps!
I hope this helps, regards Paul

PS to my earlier reply, The bearings a re huge angular contact bearins and they ar adjustable, On the outboard end you will see a collar threaded onto the spindle, remove the grub screw but do not lose the brass pad inth hole thaprotects the fine thread on the spindle, make sure the bearings are well oiled,never use grease and the gently screw up the collar until the end play on the spindle has just gone. Myford were very vague about this adjustment merely pointing out that too tight is bad. With this fee,is every thing, back off first to loose and then tighten with finger pressure whilst turning the spindle,once done fit the grub screw on its brass pad and you should be good to go.

Back