My tool storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcW

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you all,

for the positive feedback on my yet unfinished tool cabinet. I thought better make a new topic. No not for gloat, not me :oops:

First a pic showing the whole with the pivoting chisel rack. Some of the chisels aren't even being prepared, i don't know why I don't use them. I made the chisel pocket board pivoting because normally I open the frame when working to have access to the planes. This way I have access to them with the frame opened.

Werkzeugschrank_11.JPG

Second pic shows the new place at left for the screwdrivers and a decent home for the fore and the jointer.

Werkzeugschrank_9.JPG

The radiator, well being human, it's cold to me too, but I do not use it, because of the tool cabinet and eventual changings in humidity. Anyway planing goes faster when the thermometer drops below 15 degrees :wink: The shop is a two car garage too without much daylight, so far no paradise here. :)

Maybe the cabinet appears to be smaller, because of the 3 cm thick boards.

So these are my latest pics, the door has yet to wait, the frame and the T&G boards are ready, only the gluing... I'm looking for one that gives me 20 minutes to assemble.

Thanks for sharing,

Marc,

Excellent work - not sure if I am more impressed with the quality of the cabinet,or the enormous collection of planes it contains :D

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Andrew

Very nice indeed. Just one question - where will you put your next plane or chisel? Oh, and don't imagine we'll believe you if you say you don't need/want any more. :wink:

PowerTool":247wrp4n said:
Excellent work - not sure if I am more impressed with the quality of the cabinet,or the enormous collection of planes it contains :D

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Enormous?

I have very nearly that many. :)

PowerTool":3rotfhc1 said:
Enormous?

I have very nearly that many.

Err - I have three :oops:
And one of those is electric... :wink:

Andrew

Oh, yeah, I missed your nick.

I love the OP's cabinet and look forward to the article. I'm going to need some unique design tweaks for my own cabinet due to living 2km from a major earthquake fault.

Hi MarcW
I am glad to see there was no gloat :roll: :wink:
Its just that my eye hurt from all that shiney (LN :mrgreen: ) metal and a weel thought out cabinet, very nice.
Lucky I dont have many planes myself :^o :whistle: ( no LN in there )
Ps what are you getting next :-k :)

Very nice tool cabinet. I have envisioned myself making one as capable as that but it usually falls quite short. I like how you have the planes hanging. Thats a neat idea. Also is that a load bearing box of altoids supporting the jointer on the left? :wink:

Hi Mark,

That is a very nice cabinet and I'm envious of the stuff you have stored within it. I'm keen to see how you tackle the door of the cabinet.

While I would like to store my tools in such a cabinet I have avoided it because of my fear of rust. My house (and the little workshop I have in the corner of my garage) is about 150 metres from the ocean and the salt air is a tool killer.

After each time I use my planes and chisels etc. I wipe them down with a light machine oil and then wrap them in an oil cloth. I have a few Lie-Nielsen planes (nowhere near as many as you) and after each use I wipe oil all over the soles and blades, place them in a plane sock and then store them back in the boxes they came in. Thankfully this manages to keep the rust at bay.

Nick W":1byun234 said:
Very nice indeed. Just one question - where will you put your next plane or chisel? Oh, and don't imagine we'll believe you if you say you don't need/want any more. :wink:

That is a good point Nick. Although I am not getting tired to look at such a nice tool cabinet made from nice walnut I would always fear that it will become too small.
According to my (and other experience) it will become too small :p

Of course there is always the possibility to reoranize the cabinet but to my opinion it is much easier to reorganize an open wall hanging system.

Bernhard

MarcW":3oq7vfz0 said:
Maybe the cabinet appears to be smaller, because of the 3 cm thick boards.
That'd do it :shock: :lol:

Thank you for the extra pics and info, Marc. Very interesting and inspiring. I was wondering if the catch/lug that the chisel rack rests on when closed physically holds it shut, or what? Spring-loaded or something perhaps? Does that make any sense? :oops: The other thing was, on WoodCentral iirc you said the Japanese chisels should be kept horizontal - I confess that was news to me. Is there a particular reason why?

Cheers, Alf

Super: I've seen that sort of plane hold system before, but confess I'm always slightly puzzled as to exactly how you get them in/out: does something twist/turn (can't be those top lugs with two screws in them?), or do you pull 'out' at the bottom?

Because of this very confusion, mine sit on an angled ramp.

You just push the toe of the plane up into the toe holder and that gives room to pop out the heel from the bottom rebate. It's just a matter of getting the spacing and holder design right. I used to have my planes stored that way and its economical on space if you need a shallow cabinet, but I always worried that in a hurry I wouldn't get the plane in place quite right and hear as shattering crash as I turned away, so I gave it up.

That and the cabinet got way too small... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf - I guess it's one of those things that's blindingly obvious once you've done it/grasped it. Makes sense.

Nick W":3mxg58gm said:
... where will you put your next plane or chisel? Oh, and don't imagine we'll believe you if you say you don't need/want any more. :wink:

Enough room left, think on the door and yes there will be some planes and chisels more. :lol:

Can't see any space for the two Stanley #45s, Marc Will they be going in the doors
Paul

Paul, I don't know yet. There will be two jacks and a #112 to install first, then I will see how I will fit them in. Planning this is not one of my strongest sides :lol:

Colin C
...Ps what are you getting next
Next will be the scraper or the #5 1/2 or the BU Jack...Hm I don't know yet. The project will decide. :roll:

JesseM
... Also is that a load bearing box of altoids supporting the jointer on the left?

Jesse, the load bearing box of altoids is not supporting the jointer but hiding under. The jointer is supported by a small beveled batten. But ...what's a load bearing box of ALTOIDS :? I didn't find that in any dictionary. So for the children, the box holds the blades for the beading tool, sincerely :oops:

Werkzeugschrank_12.jpg

Bernhard

...According to my (and other experience) it will become too small

Of course there is always the possibility to reoranize the cabinet but to my opinion it is much easier to reorganize an open wall hanging system.

Bernhard

Bernhard, don't forget the door and I can imagine a rolling tool cart fitting neatly under the hanging cabinet with some nice dovetailed drawers... So lots of possibilities even in a small shop. :oops:

Alf
... I was wondering if the catch/lug that the chisel rack rests on when closed physically holds it shut, or what? Spring-loaded or something perhaps? Does that make any sense? The other thing was, on WoodCentral iirc you said the Japanese chisels should be kept horizontal - I confess that was news to me. Is there a particular reason why?

Cheers, Alf

Alf,
The catch has to reasons for being alive: First it prevents the chisel rack danging in the planes and second as the frame is dovetailed merely and there is no diagonal stiffening aid and much weight, think of the chisels, mallet and hammers... the catch relieves the stress from the frame. On the pic you can see I have lowered the tip of the catch

I don't think japanese chisel should or most be stored horizontally, I wanted to say that they are installed this way traditionally. That was my starting point placing them on two dowels and then I figured out, pivoting on a rack 'd be more comfortable and so I got on with this idea. I always have these nasty issues expressing myself cleanly in english. :oops:

Werkzeugschrank_13.jpg

David C
With very ingenious rotating chisel rack?
David Charlesworth

Many thanks, I take it as a compliment 8)

Shady
Super: I've seen that sort of plane hold system before, but confess I'm always slightly puzzled as to exactly how you get them in/out: does something twist/turn (can't be those top lugs with two screws in them?), or do you pull 'out' at the bottom?

Shady,
Alf gave you already an excellent answer, maybe I can add this pic. You see that the heel rests inbetween a bevel and the cabinet's back. The dust traces show you how the heel slides in.

Werkzeugschrank_14.jpg

I hope every question's answered and I want to thank you all for your kind words. :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:

Marc

Marc, many thanks for all the close-ups and explanation. Your attention to detail is excellent. It's a superb cabinet that I'm extremely tempted to plagiarise. :oops: Just need to see the doors now :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. A forum full of Brits is the last place you need worry about language skills - odds are you can speak it better than we can. :D

Marc,

yes, I remember you mentioned once the movable tool cart. That is an excellent idea especially as you have the space for it. Maybe it would even work partly as an assembly or gluing table?

Coming back to the tool cabinet you are right. You still have the space in the doors. On the other hand (being German :oops: ) I prefer to have the tools organized together i.g. planes to planes, chisel to chisels....
I would drive mad when one plane is hanging in the left door while all the others are somewhere else.

But that is just my personal style of working and there is no doubt your cabinet belongs to the finest I have ever seen. In my eyes you can compete with Becksvoort and Dave Anderson.

By the way are you planning a rack for your saws?

Bernhard

Back