My Journey into Woodworking....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minotauruk

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I would share my journey into woodworking. I am a total novice and self taught....via you tube and the internet! My journey started when we moved house and we decided to make a wooden wall for the cinema room...this invoved prepping some 200+ wooden pallet planks for attaching to a wall. I then created a AV stand, bookcase, computer desk, 11ft dining table top and coat and shoe stand. All these projects have been made with reclaimed wood from a pallet yard. Not the best wood to work with but it gave me the interest and starting point to move onto other projects.

I realise that I have so much to learn but I guess I can only learn one project at a time. Most of my work is crude compared to others.....so apologies for bringing the quality of the forum down a notch!

I am now working on a bathroom vanity cabinet with some spalted beech and will post some pictures later.

Here are a few pics of my attempted projects....

Attachments

• home cinema-7.jpg
    home cinema-7.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 814
  • home cinema-9.jpg
    home cinema-9.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 814
  • coat stand.jpg
    coat stand.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 814
  • hc (1 of 3).jpg
    hc (1 of 3).jpg
    221 KB · Views: 814
  • table top.jpg
    table top.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 814
Looks like a you're doing pretty well, I particularly like the feature wall!

Your post struck a real chord with me because I'm pretty much doing the same as you: Teaching myself as I go, using YouTube & various forums. One of the great positives about the internet is that there is virtually nothing you cannot find some form of video on. It's surprising what you can pick up if you're prepared to take the time & effort. Also be prepared to make a few mistakes, realise what went wrong & try again.

I've been at it for 2 years & I'm just getting to the point where I feel things are starting to come together. I had access to some free plywood & I bought the right tools at the right price. Some tools I've kept & some have gone, but I never lost money on any of them (I'm a huge fan of Elu tools now).
I guess it's been a long apprenticeship!

It's very satisfying when you actually make something that you look at & feel a sense of pride.

More power to your elbow, hope you keep going and keep on posting your projects.

Good stuff! This forum can always do with more people posting about real woodworking projects. All the things you’ve shown look good to my eye. Welcome aboard!

Was just thinking about a low level rack and stand for the kids' things in the hall.... sit down for a cuppa and there it is! Was thinking about a little seat as well. Going to copy that and make it smaller - if that's okay with you!

All looks great, I hope it's appreciated by the family.

That wall looks great, good work minotaur.
Stanleymonkey":3fqcpud1 said:
Was just thinking about a low level rack and stand for the kids' things in the hall
I had kids in the house for 12 years before I realised a low rack would end the need for me to keep hanging their coats up for them. Bit slow...

Phil1975":1szn3m28 said:
Looks like a you're doing pretty well, I particularly like the feature wall!

Your post struck a real chord with me because I'm pretty much doing the same as you: Teaching myself as I go, using YouTube & various forums. One of the great positives about the internet is that there is virtually nothing you cannot find some form of video on. It's surprising what you can pick up if you're prepared to take the time & effort. Also be prepared to make a few mistakes, realise what went wrong & try again.

I've been at it for 2 years & I'm just getting to the point where I feel things are starting to come together. I had access to some free plywood & I bought the right tools at the right price. Some tools I've kept & some have gone, but I never lost money on any of them (I'm a huge fan of Elu tools now).
I guess it's been a long apprenticeship!

It's very satisfying when you actually make something that you look at & feel a sense of pride.

Thx Phil. Yeah you do get a sense of accomplishment...espeically when you have done anything like this before. Elu tools I havent heard of...I will check them out.

Stanleymonkey":8mbdsfv5 said:
Was just thinking about a low level rack and stand for the kids' things in the hall.... sit down for a cuppa and there it is! Was thinking about a little seat as well. Going to copy that and make it smaller - if that's okay with you!

All looks great, I hope it's appreciated by the family.

Of course, please go ahead....I hope you post pictures of your project :)

Back