Mounting glass roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dokkodo

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive got a job coming up to build a cover over an alleyway (almost typed back passage) out the back of someone's house. They would like it made from wood and to have glass overhead, as it leads to their back door and kitchen and they dont want it to get too gloomy. I was thinking maybe timber-frame sort of style frame with glass panels.

Im wondering what peoples methods would be for mounting the glass in such a scenario, in terms of water mainly. If im imagining it right, any glass which is rebated in or flush to any frame would risk collecting water, even on an angle.

I havent got round to designing it, in fact ive yet to go and measure up, so im open to any ideas... not trying to avoid doing my own homework, just not done something like this before, thought there might be clever ways...

Use the aluminium pieces designed especially for this situation, with in-built gaskets/ seals. It is essentially an upside-down T piece , with a cap which clips onto the upstand trapping the glazing. Conservatories all use this. This fixes to the top of wooden rafters. Trying to do it all in wood will only lead to problems.

Here's one of the B&Q ones, but there are hundreds of types out there:

http://www.diy.com/departments/snapa-white-roof-glazing-bar-h-25mm-w-45mm-l-3000mm/1778669_BQ.prd

This has more choice:

https://edgebp.co.uk/media/downloads/3/Roof_Systems.pdf

Any local glazier will point you towards their preferred system.

The B&Q bars are intended for multiwall polycarbonate sheets not glass although would be strong enough to carry the weight if fixed on rafters, providing you get glazed units to suit the thickness. If anything went wrong with those they would say they weren't suitable.

Have you considered polycarb btw, it's excellent for a covered walkway as you can use self supporting bars as much lighter than glass and when that's taken into account will allow as much light in because of thinner support sections as well as being cheaper and easier to work with.

Bob

Latest posts

Back