More grunt from kids ride on toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

We’ve been given a huge lump of Green ‘John Deer’ plastic ride on tractor that can’t pull the skin off a rice pudding. Just about moves on flat, hard surface but grass or any hill, forget it.

It has a new 6v battery that has been fully charged so this is it’s design best!

It is U/S to my lad as it is so I want to see if I can help give it some more grunt for him. Power / torque is the desired outcome rather than increased speed (although one may come with the other given start point!).

The battery compartment has space for an additional 6v battery.

The motor is an RS 550 SF which is a generic Chinese component and appears to be rated for 6 - 18 or 24 volts.

So, Q is how to proceed:

1) buy additional battery and wire in series to give it 12v?
2) buy additional battery and wire parallel to give 6v but greater current if reqd?
3) Replace motor with ..........?
4) accept it is rubbish and move on?
5) other options???

Any thoughts / advice from you elec engineers much appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

i would imagine these will be 12v, if it was me i would measure the space in the battery compartment and get a 12v one to fit, wheelchair or golf cart batteries come in 12v and different dimensions,

All the toys like this I have seen are 12v, so are you sure it's only meant to be 6v, if it's second hand that could be your problem right there.

does it have lights ?, if not i would just for the hell of it go with 12v, the wiring should handle it ok, unless there are other issues like the rheostat being faulty, you could always bypass the switch circuit and wire the motor direct to the battery and see if that runs any better, make up a couple of fly leads with crocodile clips if you can and use them, taking out the switch circuit completely as a temp fault finding process, then go from there,

Mike,

Nope - no lights so minded to go for 12v as you say.

Really surprised at size of motor fitted to these toys, no more than 40mm dia x 70 mm long.

S

Maybe consider replacing the motor with an electric drill. It has more torque and probably a speed controlling trigger. Only issue is how to link the two up

Well, this is the motor you seem to have in there and it does go up to 24v.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RS-550s-18v-El ... B00TE42PME

And I have one similar that I have just taken out of a 2 metre electric powered glider weighing in at about 16oz because it was gutless. It was running on on 8.4volts of Nmh batteries. I replaced it with a brushless motor weighing about 1/4 the weight and twice the power running on a 9.6v LiPo battery pack.

Have you any photos of both the 'toy' and the motor/battery setup?

That (visually) looks just like the motor.

The toy is actually a ‘ride on’ toy like this one:
http://pegperegobatterytoys.co.uk/peg-p ... r-trailer/

The motor drives through a small gear box. Motor weight is not an issue as it is quite a lump of plastic + small child sat on it so the odd oz (or lb!) will not make a difference.

Power is from a seal lead acid gel type battery.
Simon

When younger our kids had the John Deer Gater and that had 2 motors driving each back wheel.
Had plenty of grunt to take 2 kids.
If second hand is one motor missing ?
Can you add a second motor ?

Reminds me of the joke my FIL (retired agricultural engineer) regularly uses:
Why are John Deere's painted Green? So you can push them in to the ditch when they break down, and no one will know where you dumped it.

Back