Miniature Queen Anne chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
Spent some nights over at Newark College and thought I would do one of their apprentice pieces but take it a stage further. here's the result. Help! I am trying to source some handles for the drawers but for the life of me can't find them, they need to be about 15mm dia. (ish) and obviously period to match.

The CD is for reference to show the size and you get an extra brownie point if you can name the CD.

Queen Anne 1.jpg

Queen Anne 5.jpg

Queen Anne 2.jpg

Queen Anne 3.jpg

Queen Anne 4.jpg

Andy

Attachments

• Queen Anne 1.jpg
    Queen Anne 1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,742
  • Queen Anne 2.jpg
    Queen Anne 2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,721
  • Queen Anne 3.jpg
    Queen Anne 3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,737
  • Queen Anne 4.jpg
    Queen Anne 4.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,720
  • Queen Anne 5.jpg
    Queen Anne 5.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,722
That is absolutely gorgeous! (the chest of drawers I mean not the CD) :lol: How long did it take to make? Like to see it when the handles are fitted.

A few nights! Don't give us that load of old cobblers! :shock:

Be honest, how long?

Lovely work by the way! :)

P.S. you wouldn't get my fly tying kit in that either! :mrgreen:

That is a fantastic piece. Did you do that on an evening course? wow.
How long did it take? Any wip photos or a talk through of how you did the legs.
Owen

A gorgeous piece, inspired by the golden age of English furniture, Andy. =D>

Either drop or plain plate handles would suit it well, but I'd go for the former, as plates would detract from the beautiful veneer of the drawer fronts. Not sure how easy it will be to find handles small enough though.

Personally, I've had good service and quality from Martins. Not cheap, but your piece deserves quality fittings.

http://www.martin.co.uk/orderOnline_Pro ... goryRef=67

Corset":1vgl76em said:
That is a fantastic piece. Did you do that on an evening course? wow.
How long did it take? Any wip photos or a talk through of how you did the legs.
Owen

Tony Spear":1vgl76em said:
A few nights! Don't give us that load of old cobblers! :shock:

Be honest, how long?

Lovely work by the way! :)

P.S. you wouldn't get my fly tying kit in that either! :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the suggestions for the hardware but I have tried all those and they don't do anything small enough, I know they exist it's just finding them.

Spent about ten evenings over at the college but most of that was talking, it was a course I thought I would join and enjoyed it and met some nice people on it, did most of it at home and really didn't keep track of the hours but a couple of weeks in total if the hours were all put together.

The legs were made from 50mm x 50mm x 360mm Walnut, ideally I would have liked some bits with the end grain going across at 45 deg but only had these bits.
Firstly the feet have to be turned, slightly off centre (see drawing) then templates are cut out, stuck to the wood, two per leg, then cut on the bandsaw, after cutting one side the bits are taped back together to provide support and the other side is cut, if you follow the lines up you will see that only the two outside sections are removed from the wood, finish was achieved by sanding and scraping, shellac then Danish oil and wax.
I really should do some wip pictures!
Andy
Leg details.jpg

Attachments

• Leg details.jpg
    Leg details.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 877
Sawyer":1dq98pw1 said:
A gorgeous piece, inspired by the golden age of English furniture, Andy. =D>

Either drop or plain plate handles would suit it well, but I'd go for the former, as plates would detract from the beautiful veneer of the drawer fronts. Not sure how easy it will be to find handles small enough though.

Personally, I've had good service and quality from Martins. Not cheap, but your piece deserves quality fittings.

http://www.martin.co.uk/orderOnline_Pro ... goryRef=67

I think I may have found handles there and just my luck, out of stock for another 5 weeks, Oh Hum.........

Andy

I think I might have seen this in the flesh.......Andy did whip this up in no time at all.

Very impressive I must admit, especially compared to my green MDF efforts!

Latest posts

Back