Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By chaoticbob
Trevanion wrote:
chaoticbob wrote:Ben, this rang a faint bell and a look in my bits box turned up a length of 3/4" (19mm) brass round with an M8x1.25 hole threaded to about 40mm deep in one end - can't remember why I made it! If you're not sorted already I can cut off the threaded bit to 38mm - turning down to 18mm diameter if critical would be the work of minutes. Yours for postage.
Bob.

It's almost like it was meant to be :shock:

It was slightly weird - I remembered seeing a bit of brass in the short parts bin with what might have been M8 thread in the end, screwed in a bolt, lo and behold it was indeed M8 and went in about 40mm.
Reading further comments about this being a problem with other machines I wondered if an Acme or trapezoidal screw might be a better solution. I had a look at my own saw (Record 350, very much a hobby machine) and that's what they use for the tensioning mechanism. It must be an one of those areas where manufacturers cut corners.
Robin
By thetyreman
chaoticbob wrote:
Trevanion wrote:
chaoticbob wrote:Ben, this rang a faint bell and a look in my bits box turned up a length of 3/4" (19mm) brass round with an M8x1.25 hole threaded to about 40mm deep in one end - can't remember why I made it! If you're not sorted already I can cut off the threaded bit to 38mm - turning down to 18mm diameter if critical would be the work of minutes. Yours for postage.
Bob.

It's almost like it was meant to be :shock:

It was slightly weird - I remembered seeing a bit of brass in the short parts bin with what might have been M8 thread in the end, screwed in a bolt, lo and behold it was indeed M8 and went in about 40mm.
Reading further comments about this being a problem with other machines I wondered if an Acme or trapezoidal screw might be a better solution. I had a look at my own saw (Record 350, very much a hobby machine) and that's what they use for the tensioning mechanism. It must be an one of those areas where manufacturers cut corners.
Robin

recieved the part today, thanks robin, delighted with it, absolutely perfect and exactly what I wanted, that was super fast!
By chaoticbob
Glad you're happy - I have to confess thinking that as I should turn off the mill finish from the nominal 19mm bar I may as well swipe it down to 18mm in the process, and was dismayed when it came out as 17.96 :shock: .
I'd be interested to hear how the epoxy joint between the wooden handle and threaded rod holds up. I'd thought about something similar myself for a project, but wasn't confident that glue would be strong enough.
Robin.
By Lons
chaoticbob wrote: I should turn off the mill finish from the nominal 19mm bar I may as well swipe it down to 18mm in the process, and was dismayed when it came out as 17.96 :shock:

Shoddy, you need to calibrate your micrometer :wink: :lol:
I'd be interested to hear how the epoxy joint between the wooden handle and threaded rod holds up. I'd thought about something similar myself for a project, but wasn't confident that glue would be strong enough.Robin.

Just fix a reinforcing pin through.
By thetyreman
I'm still thinking about a better way to hold the handle in place, I will try the epoxy first and see how it goes, my plan is to epoxy in an insert into a piece of wood, glue some brass thread into it then glue that into the top of the brass shaft, if anyone has a better idea I would like to know, will have to see how it holds up, not all of the parts have arrived yet so there's time.
By thetyreman
Lons wrote:
I'd be interested to hear how the epoxy joint between the wooden handle and threaded rod holds up. I'd thought about something similar myself for a project, but wasn't confident that glue would be strong enough.Robin.

what do you mean by reinforcing pin? sounds like a good idea though.
By thetyreman
MikeJhn wrote:As a further refinement, how about a cam and lever to de-tension the blade after use?

would love to do that but would need some kind of framework or plan, it might be something I do once this is fixed, I genuinely don't know how they work mechanically.
By Lons
thetyreman wrote:
Lons wrote:

what do you mean by reinforcing pin? sounds like a good idea though.

Still epoxy the handle on then drill right through handle and rod with a small dia drill, insert a length of brass or steel rod / wire through ( a nail or panel pin can be used ), cut off just proud and hammer over the ends, finish off with a fine file and you'll hardly see it but it won't come off.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to do? That happens quite often. :oops:
By thetyreman
cool thanks for the tip, now it makes sense, that's an excellent idea, no misundertsanding at all, cheers.
By Robbo3
I'll second Lon's idea. I did the same thing some years back when I mounted a keyless chuck onto a file handle to save holding drills with pliers.