Metabo HC260 - and many a Planer/Thicknesser clone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Vastano

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have this planer and while the planer side of things I'm happy with, every time I come to use the thicknesser the belt has snapped, and it sets me back another thirty odd quid.

The only thing I can put it down to is I don't use a dedicated chip extractor just an festool vac (great for dust not for chips) that is not really up-to the job, and you probably know this thing creates lots of chips.

So as far as I can see my options are ...
1. Keep the unit just for Planning and buy a DeWalt thicknesser I saw recently that extracts its own chips (sorry cant remember the model)
2. Buy a Chip Extractor
3. Buy a cyclone and fit it too m y festool ctl

Option 1 is obviously most expensive but if I go with option 2/3 and it still don't work I will be forced into option 1 at even greater expense.

Whats the general opinions?

Thanks

A shop vac - even a festool - isn't adequate to clear the chips from a machine like this. I've tried it on my own 10x8 PT. I'd have to stop and hoover it out after every pass.
A cyclone won't help - that will only add resistance and reduce the already inadequate airflow.

Unless you are allowing it to clog with the ejected chips, I'm surprised that poor clearing is snapping the belts so regularly.
As well as fixing your extraction, I'd try :
1. clean and wax the lower table used when thicknessing so the machine can pull the timber through more easily.
2. run it in thicknesser mode for several minutes without and wood in it to make sure the pressure rollers and toothed feed roller are turning freely
3. try a session where you limit your cuts to 0.5 to 1mm in case it's an overload problem

I've only ever played with the SIP version of what I think this is and is seemed like a basically sound machine.
If you have space, it can be nice to have a separate planer and thicknesser so you're not swapping back and forwards between modes on the one machine but that would be a last resort for me, and in any case they both make lots of chips and both need high volume airflow to clear them away.

Incidentally - the SIP had a crazy plastic guard / hood for thicknessing that just ejected chips through a slot - no provision for attaching a hose on the one I used. It spewed chips all over the shop but it did clear them effectively from the cutter. If you want to live dangerously, VERY CAREFULLY run your thicknesser with the chip collecting hood part open so the chips can clear freely. You'll have an almighty cleanup to do after but it will tell you if choking on chips is the cause of your problem ...

I have an Elektra Beckum HC260 which I think is an earlier model of yours? I might be wrong but the machines look very similar.
I've had mine for 12+ years and never had a problem with the belt - I did need to replace a worn roller but that's about it.
In terms of extraction, I can run mine without any extraction - it makes a huge mess but it does run.
I now use a cyclone attached to a domestic vacuum and whilst it isn't brilliant, it does OK.
I may need to occasionally clear the chute with woods like sycamore as it fills up and the airflow isn't sufficient to shift it but overall it's not too bad.
The reason for boring you with all the above is that it seems strange if failure to clear the chips is causing the belt to snap.
I'd certainly try Sideways suggestions before buying anything but I only ever remove <1mm over a boards width.

Thanks for the advice.

I only ever take the minimum off per pass and I also was a bit skeptical that this may be the reason behind the belt snapping. But I am at a loss to work out what it is I don't use it that often and that may also be a factor.

I keep things lubricated with PTFE spray (non sticky so doesn't collect dust) but still no joy it wouldn't be so bad if the belts where less than a fiver but 30 - 40 quid is a bit steep.

Sounds fine to me Mike. , what's the belt tension like ? If it was a bit slack and slipping, the belt will heat up and that can cause the failure. I had a recent experience with a SIP biscuit jointer when I ordered some replacement brushes and the ones sent were quite different from the ones in the machine I was repairing. They had physically changed the machine over the years "making improvements" but had kept the same model and parts numbers all the way through. Is it possible that the belts that they're sending you are a bit slack ? Though if that's what it uses, multi V belts aren't supposed to need a lot of tension ...

Hi Mike.
I just went through some old posts and the guy who talked me through replacing the roller was called Hemsby. Unfortunately he left this Forum as he couldn’t get on with the new format. However, several members are also on other woodworking forums and tend to use the same name so that might be worth a try as he was very knowledgeable on the EB HC260.

Latest posts

Back