measuring holes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
This may be a daft question, but how do you accurately measure centre to centre of 2 existing holes? do you measure to the edge and add half of the diameter of each hole? Or can you get some form of conical centre finder ? It seems such a smple measurement, but if you are talking accuracy of half a mm you cant really guess at it.

marcros":1chokugh said:
This may be a daft question, but how do you accurately measure centre to centre of 2 existing holes? do you measure to the edge and add half of the diameter of each hole? Or can you get some form of conical centre finder ? It seems such a smple measurement, but if you are talking accuracy of half a mm you cant really guess at it.

You can either measure inner-surface to inner-surface (with a normal caliper) then outer-most surface to outer most (with an inside caliper), and average the two measurements, or you (indeed) get conical tips for calipers, beam compasses etc.

BugBear

If the holes are the same size why dont you measure from the right hand edge of hole A to the right hand edge of hole B? That will tell you exactly what the hole centres are

If they are withing the range of digital callipers you will get close enough by doing as you say inside edge to inside edge plus half of each hole dia.

Better is to fit shafts into the holes and measuer overall then subtract half the dia of each hole.

You can then go to plug gauges and slip gauges or centre pitch callipers

J

spinks":3ai6cu2x said:
If the holes are the same size why dont you measure from the right hand edge of hole A to the right hand edge of hole B? That will tell you exactly what the hole centres are
do as spinks says simples

spinks wrote:

That only works if you are using a ruler - marcros's method works with callipers and will allow greater accuracy.

Regards Mick

with a decent rule you should be able to get within 1/4 mm....the OP asks for 1/2 mm accuracy so the method i mentioned should suffice!

I was taught as an apprentice, which was many, many years ago, to use the method that Spinks, described, assuming both holes are the same size, always served me well, and I am now five years retired. :wink:

Take care.

Chris R.

If the holes are the same size then measure one with digital calipers and then zero the calipers at this dimension. Then measure outside of one hole to the outside of the other this will give the centre distance directly.

John

marcros":1f1s88tj said:

Couldn't you use an appropriately sized brad point bit?

You could hold a piece of wood on the other side. Press the drill through each hole. Measure the distance between the two pin-pricks which represent the centre positions of the holes.

spinks":3sgevsm3 said:
+1
I used this method when fitting roof trusses , a friend who helped was marking the centre of each truss until we pointed out our way, the look on his face was one of amazement.

BH

Yes, that's fine - as long as you are certain the holes are the same size. It wouldn't work if for some reason your trusses were different thicknesses. If you go back to Bugbear's post and do it that way, it works for different sized holes as well. If you've drilled the holes, and you KNOW they're the same size, fine.

my main application, when asking the question is when copying something that has already been made, or for drilling a router plate etc.

Near edge A to far edge B plus far edge A to near edge B all divided by 2

Will give the centre to centre distance even if the holes are different diameters

Easily done with digital very nears. Measure one dimension, zero and measure the other, mentally divided by 2 and ignore any sign

Back