Meaningless marketing-speak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
Like most of you I expect, I had an email from Axminster announcing their new improved Trade Series tools. Amongst the hype was this gem:

' Steel also has a natural frequency of oscillation and therefore reduces any potential vibration.'

They may be fine machines, but this sort of half-baked gobbledygook actually puts me off - it makes me wonder if they know what they're talking about.

I'm sure there must be even more egregious examples out there...
Robin

chaoticbob":2hd8ycdf said:
Like most of you I expect, I had an email from Axminster announcing their new improved Trade Series tools. Amongst the hype was this gem:

' Steel also has a natural frequency of oscillation and therefore reduces any potential vibration.'

They may be fine machines, but this sort of half-baked gobbledygook actually puts me off - it makes me wonder if they know what they're talking about.

I'm sure there must be even more egregious examples out there...
Robin

These are toe-curling, horrid things, I agree but it's SALES-speak. Please don't associate it with marketing - as a marketer I'd have nothing to do with that sort of nonsense.

Most people don't really understand what marketing is, but it's not junk mail and it's not junk phone calls and it's not terrible copywriting either! :)

Its computerised translation from the original chinese. No one bothers to start from scratch in english any more

Eric The Viking":32qy0d5a said:
These are toe-curling, horrid things, I agree but it's SALES-speak. Please don't associate it with marketing - as a marketer I'd have nothing to do with that sort of nonsense.

Most people don't really understand what marketing is, but it's not junk mail and it's not junk phone calls and it's not terrible copywriting either! :)

Apologies Eric - I hadn't understood the distinction, but having Googled I see what you mean. Sales-speak it is. It seems a particularly extreme example though - exaggeration is expected, but this is meaningless to me.
Robin

Back