MDF grained look

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayben

Established Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I watched a programme that showed you how to finish MDF with a wood grain look can anyone point me in the right direction for this or explain how it is done.
regards Ray

MusicMan":3hkm68ed said:
and you can go fancy with a set of graining combs:

https://www.stonehouses.co.uk/index.php ... combs.html

and can look surprisingly effective.

my grandfather was a painter decorator and he used to use steel combs and 'feathering brushes' to paint grain on panels, doors etc.
incredibly skilled, you'd have believed it was real wood grain.
he did a lot of work making cheap commercial premises look expensive especially with walnut, mahogany and highly figured grains

Used to buy special paint, I think the process was "scumble". I only ever tried it once and it wasn't pretty. :oops:

Yes scumble, my father (not a pro but a good amateur) did it a lot and it was very presentable. As with everything, it's practice and maybe some training. He shared digs with a fabulous cabinetmaker in the war (they both worked at an ordnance factory) and picked up a lot from him. After the war, it was impressive how much he achieved with upcycled tea chests, about all the material that was available!

Back