Maple Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
A long, long time ago in a galaxy far away I happened to stumble on an add for a couple of maple beams left from a renovation - not long really but chunky - for a really good price. I'd always wanted one of those massive maple benches that all the yank magazines have but the cost was waaay out of reach. So I bought them and swore I would have a nice proper bench one day.

Anyway, I finally got into it even though I should be doing important things like finishing my kitchen.
IMG_0027-800x600.JPG

That was the main beam and machining it square was a real pain; I was going along the 'keep it as long as you can for as long as you can' line. Not next time - that weighs somewhere over 50kg.

It took quite a bit of work but eventually broke it down to the bits. Because I hadn't really bought the timber with a design in mind it meant I was limited by it in my dimensions but to build what I ideally wanted price d out at somewhere north of £700.
IMG_0156-800x600.JPG

I wasn't quite sure how high I wanted things so decided to start at the bottom and work up. As I don't use handtools that much - tbh I seem to be tied to projects with mdf - I thought this was an ideal time to practice. Although I did drill out most of the mortices squaring up big lumps of hard maple was probably not the best time to play with hand tools.
IMG_0159-800x600.JPG

Not quite sure where the photos of the tenons went but I had a hell of a time getting square shoulders all round; until I realised the legs had gone out of square.

Next, still a bit discouraged by the tenon screw up I thought I'd do some thing easy.
IMG_0429-800x600.JPG

I'd bought a couple of Liogier rasps earlier this year just for this and really, really enjoyed using them. Quick, quiet and really satisifying - still needed a bit of sanding but it would've taken ages without them.

Thats it for right now.

Attachments

• IMG_0027-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0027-800x600.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 1,101
  • IMG_0156-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0156-800x600.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • IMG_0159-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0159-800x600.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,101
  • IMG_0429-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0429-800x600.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,101
Looks nice and beefy. Is the maple European or US?

Are you winging it with the design or do you have a plan?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

That maple I think was US; its not a hugely popular wood over here so it seems. I bought some more week before last and the guys at Tylers, who carry serious stock of everything else, were saying how little the sell of maple. Come to think of it I've never seen European maple advertised.

I do have a design in mind based on a serious load of reading (spend a lot of time at sea). Very simple with sled feet, base is 1500mm between legs, maple top and veritas twin screw vise which I bought last year in the states. Kind of like this - http://www.chrisbillman.com/Projects/Bench.htm No fancy stuff like a wagon vise etc. I'll be putting in a few 20mm dog holes but not many until I need them (sticking with 20mm to match my mft top table). I'll make a planing stop and either buy or make a veritas surface vice type affair. At some point I might make some cupboards for underneath - hence the 1500mm to keep it standard and I don't have so much room for an 1800mm + top.

Ok, tyring to play catch up with this WIP - been hard at it for the last week.

After some serious analysis paralysis I decided to go with bridle joints across the leg tops; I think I went that way instead of mt as the dimensions meant better resistance to racking but frankly it was as much because I'd never done one and felt like it.
IMG_0034-800x600.JPG

I was pretty nervous about sawing dead parallel and straight so bottled it and used the new bandsaw. The first pair of legs I drilled out the waste and squared up the bottom with my nice new LV pmv11 butt chisels (stupidly extravagant use of bonus - but I guess they took a proper beating without losing their edge).
IMG_0432-800x600.JPG

I cannot tell you how hard that was - literally - this stuff makes cast iron seem like chocolate. So next pair got the full bandsaw;
IMG_0430-800x600.JPG

Then cut out the waste with the coping saw and cleaned up with a chisel. It did take some time to clean up the bottoms as that end grain is properly hard, I'm not sure I'm anxious to try that again.

The 'other' bit (tongue?) was super easy tbh. Was a bit concerned at first about keeping the cheeks parallel but the router plane kept me right - had to make a false base for it as it wouldn't otherwise reach.
IMG_0435-800x600.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0034-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0034-800x600.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,029
  • IMG_0432-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0432-800x600.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,029
  • IMG_0430-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0430-800x600.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,029
  • IMG_0435-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0435-800x600.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,029
Yeah it was a bit of a treat; shoulda seen what else I got while over there! Mind you was at sea for 5 months straight - online shopping rocks!

At some point I should do a proper review I guess; they are good for chopping as they do hold that edge but if you chip and edge, say because you didn't pack them correctly, you'll be wishing for a honing guide double quick!

After all the sawing, bashing, planing the bridles were finally ready for a test fit. Well, that went ok I guess - didn't split at least. Had to shave down the cheeks a touch but I was pretty damn chuffed with the fit.
IMG_0426-800x600.JPG

Feeling a bit pleased with myself I thought things needed complicating so time for a bit of draw boring action. Happened to have some 20mm walnut dowel gathering dust.
IMG_0418-800x600.JPG

I got all but one pretty much spot on - last one needed the big club of ignorance to persuade of its error. All said the glue up wasn't too stressful. Even square straight off the bat which was a first.
IMG_0422-800x600.JPG

IMG_0423-800x600.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0426-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0426-800x600.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,015
  • IMG_0418-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0418-800x600.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,015
  • IMG_0422-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0422-800x600.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,015
  • IMG_0423-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0423-800x600.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,015
Walnut might be a bit soft for the peg to be doing much "drawing". Saying that, it almost certainly doesn't need to, and is for aesthetics only.

Ach maybe. But when I belted them in there was NO movement in that joint not even a creak. so with those and the glue it'll take explosives to get it apart. Meant clamping the mt's was a no brainer too.

I was pretty pleased with finally getting the ends done so getting the stretchers should've been quick and easy - it wasn't.

Machining them went fine. Changed my mind on the length - had allowed for 1800mm but when I looked it was too long; I'd have too little overhang and it would just dominate the shop. So really all I had to do was make 8 lousy holes with counterbores. Couldn't possibly take long surely. It did.
IMG_0448-800x600.JPG

That took nearly all morning. Big mistake I made was not doing it when the legs were separate because trying to position and clamp those end sections accurately on the drill press was a proper pain.

I used 180mm cs bolts and M12 bed bolts from axminster. The 'nuts' were really pricey at £8 a pair and didn't even come slotted (I cut the slots).
IMG_0449-800x600.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0448-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0448-800x600.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_0449-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0449-800x600.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 878
Ooops didn't mean to press submit.

Anyway, once I got the legs drilled I could use that hole to guide my auger bit into the stretchers - this was nerve racking as I could easily imagine blowing out or just ging off centre. I wasn't dead on but close enough that just a little fiddle got it all together.
IMG_0447-800x600.JPG

And this is how the base came out so far. Next just the tiny matter of the top but that can wait until tomorrow, or err later.
IMG_0465-640x480.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0447-800x600.JPG
    IMG_0447-800x600.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 876
  • IMG_0465-640x480.JPG
    IMG_0465-640x480.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 876
I worry about benches like this. You're using wood that is far too nice for a workstation. You're going to be frightened every time you pick up a tool that you'll leave a mark on the surface. Personally, I would have made a beautiful piece of furniture from it, rather than a beautiful bench. Each to their own and all that.

If it didn't cost a lot then why not? The beech I bought for my bench has cost me less than £150. I paid more than that for a thicknesser. Hopefully the bench will be around a lot longer than the thicknesser.

Although the Maple here is nice enough, it isn't as if it some highly figured exotic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This bench is looking superb so far !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bodgers said:
If it didn't cost a lot then why not? The beech I bought for my bench has cost me less than £150. I paid more than that for a thicknesser. Hopefully the bench will be around a lot longer than the thicknesser.

Although the Maple here is nice enough, it isn't as if it some highly figured exotic.

Mike's entitled to his opinion although I take a different line.

You're right the maple you see there cost £80 and although its ok I wouldn't use it for furniture really - its not rustic but its not prime really. TBH I'm not mad keen on maple furniture; the figured stuff is fantastic but otherwise a bit plain. Secondly I like my workshop and spend more time there than I do in the house so its important to me that it looks ok. Lastly and most importantly workshop furniture is a great way to practice something newish - if it doesn't come out perfectly well its only a workshop and if it does then great. My shop is pretty nice - mostly cherry - and is my way of doing dry runs or using up bits from other projects. The cabinets are the trial for my first kitchens, the tool boards are bits that would've gone on the fire pit and the worktable is a knackered worktop I bought for £20.

As to been precious about the bench, err I think that will last about a week tops.

mbartlett99":295imf2k said:
As to been precious about the bench, err I think that will last about a week tops.

That's how I am as well. Once I've taken a few pictures it's no longer a precious project and more something to be handled and used.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I use bearers on my bench, basically three timbers planed up the same height,
These are marked on the ends so they don't get mixed up with other timbers
I find these really handy as it elevates the work to help my back, but also makes things a lot more visible as the light shines underneath making the more accurate work easier.
Also making gluing easier too.

Good luck with the rest of the bench build

Tom

Back