Makita SP6000 Plunge Saw flaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy rivers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We own a Festool TS55 plunge saw and have recently purchased a Makita SP6000. However we're struggling to get it to complete a basic 4ft / 1220mm panel cut on the standard 1.4m rail due to it's wider spaced rail tolerance adjusters . One has to either start with the rear adjuster off the track or allow the leading adjust to pop off the end which leads to all sorts of problems. We could set the blade deeper but this would leave a lot of exposed blade as well as chopping the table in half :shock:

Our saw is set 2-3mm below the stock on a sacrificial 8x4 MDF bed/table.

Surely Makita couldn't have missed this? DeWalt have a wide spacing on their rail tolerance adjusters too however their standard cross cut rail is 1.5m which accommodates this. We could clamp two 1.4m's together but this would be impractical if not ridiculous on a 4ft cross cut- floppy overhang bridging in the middle, stutter as you pass the joint etc.! All I can think of is buying a 3m rail and chopping it in half (expensive)

Has anyone else had this issue?

Jim

The Makita had a few extras such as the anti-tip rail lock, positive stops for 45 and 22.5 degrees. -1 degree cut. 5mm quick set depth stop, more grunt in the motor, Festool track compatibility, a bigger 165mm blade and ...

...it was £120 cheaper :?

Lol, thats why I've been trying to buy the best tool recently. Pay out for something then it just doesn't quite do what you want 100%.

Ah ... a sensible reply - Thanks Mick. After 1 post I was just about to give up on this forum.

That's right it works on the Festool rail however the Festool rail is also 1.4m. The Makita really needs 1.5m of travel.

We may end up buying a 3m Makita rail for £100, chop it up and fashion some jointing bars. The additional length will come in handy for long rips and the 1.4m can become a handy 600-800mm rail for grooving and chop outs - Happy days.

Might approach Makita first though. The saw is manufactured in the UK - which is a nice surprise :)

Has anyone had any past dealing with Makita UK customer service?

Hi Jim

I've spoken to Makita on a few occasions and they've been very helpful, but I was only asking for information, so it cost them nothing. Their website is appalling and, FWIW, I often look at the Canadian Makita site if I want manuals or pictures with decent resolution.

Not sure if that's much help though...

Duncan

jimmy rivers":3ueydq5z said:
Ah ... a sensible reply - Thanks Mick. After 1 post I was just about to give up on this forum.

If thats your attitude then maybe you should give up on this forum. :wink:

If you speak to Charlotte Payne at Makita she is very helpful well she has been for me in the past anyway.

Hope that helps you :roll:

I know my Festool ts55 is tight for lenth on the 1.4m rail but i didn't realise the Makita needs more room. A couple of my mates bought the Makita purely on the cost thing, both now say they wish they paid the extra for the Festool.

Woodguy

I've noticed recently (via. eBay and Google Shopping) that you can get the "standard" TS55 for a little more than £300 (well, certainly less than the £400+). The main difference seems to be that this model is single speed and does not have a braked motor. Some offers included a rail; some don't. Might be worth a look... :)

jimmy rivers":2v9v95go said:

That's right it works on the Festool rail however the Festool rail is also 1.4m. The Makita really needs 1.5m of travel.

We may end up buying a 3m Makita rail for £100, chop it up and fashion some jointing bars. The additional length will come in handy for long rips and the 1.4m can become a handy 600-800mm rail for grooving and chop outs - Happy days.

Might approach Makita first though. The saw is manufactured in the UK - which is a nice surprise :)

Has anyone had any past dealing with Makita UK customer service?

Did anything come of this, Jimmy? We are looking at plunge saws at the moment and I'm interested to hear what happened with your Makita.

Also, does anyone know why plunge saws are left handed?

Thanks

Nick

I have had the makita 6000 for several months and use it quite a bit. I can't say I had noticed a problem cutting 4ft widths. If the saw is tightened up to the rail then a combination of sideways/forward pressure seems to stop it moving off line. Or maybe they have fixed the problem ?

What do you think of the blade changing mechanism? It seems a bit awkward at first, but I wonder how well one gets used to it?

That's ok. I just wondered how much of a fiddle that little blue button might be. It took me a while to work it out (oh to read the instructions). The plunge mechanism isn't the smoothest of those on test with ours: is that the same with yours?

Thanks

Nick

Back