Makita RT0700 vs Katsu Routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone noticed any difference in how they work, or how long they work for? Does one produce better results than the other?

GrahamF":gpyrddmt said:
Bodgers":gpyrddmt said:
GrahamF":gpyrddmt said:
Maybe I should have said "manufacturer" rather than "Katsu".

When I spoke to Makita UK, about collets, was told many well known brands are sourced from manufacturers churning out goods which can be tweaked and rebranded to order. The part number on the Katsu is identical to the Makita.
Have you links for that?

The part numbers don't seem the same to me:

http://www.makitauk.com/accessories/rou ... eeves.html

https://www.aimtools.co.uk/products/sp1 ... 6518864586

Comparing the nut and collets side by side, they are slightly different colours with a different surface texture. Doubt they are made in the same place.

I'm not in the UK at the moment so can't look at anything. When I said the part number was the same on both, I was referring to the router part numbers on the badges. As far as the collet is concerned, I just ordered a Makita (IIRC 8mm) collet and nut which fit the Katsu perfectly.
Yep, you would expect that as they have designed the Katsu to be compatible. The collets are pretty standard anyway.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Chris152":1xw2mru5 said:
Has anyone noticed any difference in how they work, or how long they work for? Does one produce better results than the other?
I have both (as shown in the video). The Katsu is noisier in operation. The speed controller isn't quite as effective as the Makita's, it gets bogged down quicker in my experience.

Not sure of the run out difference.

Durability wise it wouldn't surprise me if the Katsu packed up first, but at a third of the cost, who's complaining?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Either way of who copied who or made in the same place, I don't care. I got 3 Katsu(ii ?)for the price of the Makita, all the relevant (to me) Makita bushings, bases and parts etc fit and when I give the finished piece to the customer they can't tell which one I used. I got my first 1 about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago and it's been in used nearly every other day and is still going so I know which I will get when it dies

Droogs":2rihntye said:
Either way of who copied who or made in the same place, I don't care. I got 3 Katsu(ii ?)for the price of the Makita, all the relevant (to me) Makita bushings, bases and parts etc fit and when I give the finished piece to the customer they can't tell which one I used. I got my first 1 about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago and it's been in used nearly every other day and is still going so I know which I will get when it dies

I completely agree.

The reason for doing the video and this thread wasn't really this point though. It is a more wider point that Chinese companies like these are getting very good at making something that seems identical, trading off the back of the brand association to the point where people are convinced that the genuine item may be "made in the same factory" or even that the original product is a copy! I think that's when they cross a line.

A different product, but Mid century modern furniture makers such as PP Mobler and C Hanson in Denmark are frequently on the receiving end of this kind of treatment and the authorites there have cracked down, destroying copy cat
imported furniture even when it doesn't have the badges on...

Back