Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By rxh
Modern taps for wood have an angle of about 60 degrees. I have seen much larger angles on old wooden threads like this example from an olive press in Mallorca. I suppose that this one was made by drawing a helix and chiselling out the waste. I'd like to know how such large female threads were cut - a tap would require enormous effort to drive it.
Attachments
IMG_4565A-2.jpg
By AndyT
rxh wrote:At a closer look you don't have a topslide so thread cutting is harder for you :)

No, I can't use that excuse. I did approximately split the angle when cutting the thread, so as to mainly work down one side, but this doesn't feature in the photos.
By toolsntat
Sorry for the wild goose chase Andy.
I've found it (p59) in the Colonial Williamsburg publication "Historic Trades" hiding behind a TATHS journal :oops: #-o

The Carpenters Tap
Roubo, L'Art du Menuisier III 1769-1775 translated by Robert Lyon.

Cheers Andy
By Sheffield Tony
I had a closer look at mine. I'm sure it is a poorly made replacement V cutter - it is too prominent for a start, sticking out a long way beyond the wooden threads. But the give away is the tap, which is a symmetrical 60 degree triangular thread profile. Interesting design on the tap - it is bored out up the middle, with cross-drillings to make the cutting edge, and somewhere for the shaving to go.
20190320_210835.jpg

20190320_210859.jpg
By AndyT
Quick update on this.

After playing about with some more experiments, using different scraps of wood and different sized preliminary holes, I found I was getting a very sloppy fit. This is the reason why:

I'd made the tap 1/16" of an inch oversized. :oops:

So, it was back to the lathe, being pleased that I hadn't changed the way it was set up, or removed the end holes in the tap. A few passes with a file while the work was spinning removed enough material from the diameter, but that left teeth that were too shallow. I managed to line up a cutter, with the leadscrew set to work at the right tpi, and follow the original angle close enough. I really don't think I would have been able to do this with a powered lathe or a finer thread. As it was, I was able to pull the lathe round by hand, scraping away on one side of the thread, to deepen the teeth.

A few passes and it felt like it would work, and it does.

Sharp eyed readers will notice the addition of a cross-bar and retaining screw as well.

Now I could use the tap and box combo to make something, but I'll put that in the Projects, as it's wood, not metal.
By xy mosian
Good save Andy.
xy
By woodfarmer
A simpler way (lazy me) is to use over size round bar.
suppose you want a one inch tap. 25mm
use a 1 and a half inch round bar, mark the centre and scribe a 7/8 inch circle.
centre pop a few times around this scribed circle then drill holes. 4 equidistant is about right. Hole size not really critical 1/4 to 3/8 about right.
Now turn down the bar to 1 inch, you have your flutes and because the centres are inside the 1 inch diameter they will be a bit off set and will give a good cutting edge.
Cut your thread.. and you have a tap with not too much work.

suggest you make a wooden dummy one first to get the feel of what happens.

regards

hope this is of use to you
By AndyT
Thanks for the suggestion, but in this case I was also looking for something I could make with a bit of steel from the assortment of oddments I already have. Not always the easiest option and I didn't explain that in the original post.