Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By MickCheese
Coley

How did I miss this?

Fantastic write up and I fully appreciate how much time this must have taken so for that, I thank you.

I have waded through all five pages and every word, (good job I'm at work at the moment) really enjoyed it, a great insight into how a window is made.

I'm not sure I will ever need to make one but after reading this I really think I could have a good go and make a passable job, to me it's just a hobby but the way you have written it up would certainely give me the confidence to follow your instructions and get there in the end.

I just want you to know the window you made looks fantastic but more that your efforts were worth it as I gained a lot and enjoyed the read.

Thanks

Mick
By ColeyS1
MrDavidRoberts wrote:This is simply amazing work you have done!
Attention to detail is what I like the most, I have never attempted to make a window in quality like this and I think I will never will because of all the machinery needed.
Good job!

Thanks David.
Don't be put off whatsoever by the machines I used. They are only used for speed. Every process the machines did, are easy enough to do with routers, hand tools etc. What I was hoping to show was the arrangement of the joints, timber sections and the orders in which they can be done. The machining stage is fairly boring, it's using the hand tools that's most enjoyable.
Anyways, I appreciate your comment.
Cheers
Coley
By Mutley Racers
Wow, what an amazing thread. Thank you so much h for posting this guide to building windows. I love wood and have wanted to try and make some nice windows to replace my plastic fantastic ones. But what you did was so precise and beautiful I believe I will not even attempt it.
By ColeyS1
Mutley Racers wrote:Wow, what an amazing thread. Thank you so much h for posting this guide to building windows. I love wood and have wanted to try and make some nice windows to replace my plastic fantastic ones. But what you did was so precise and beautiful I believe I will not even attempt it.

Only just noticed this, thanks for the compliment. Don't be put off by it. Yes there are alot of steps, but that's all they are. Treat each step as it's own little job and before you know it, you'll have a window.
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By ColeyS1
AJB Temple wrote:Outstandingly helpful thread. Thanks Coley. I don't have a spindle moulder but can see how to adapt my kit to do this. Very helpful tips.

Glad you found it useful ;) Good to hear that even though you haven't got the exact same kit, you've got other options that will enable you to end up with the same.
Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By Aidex
Hi Coley

What an amazing and informative post! Thanks so much for sharing it all with us!!!

Without wanting to insult you or any other craftsman, I’ve heard mention of some folk using the Domino to make doors, windows and gates rather than M&T joints. Clearly there’s a lot less skill involved with the Domino. In practical terms though is using a Domino OK or would you regard it a big no no/botch that could or will lead to premature failure if the sash and frame? (Please no one shoot me down I won’t be making a window anytime soon and certainly nothing that would look anything like Coleys!) :?

Many thanks again for kindly sharing your expertise!

Aidex