Making a cabin bed and need some advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblue777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am going to be making a cabin bed, it will be be for a double mattress for 2 adults. the head and one side will be fixed to the wall (one timber wall and one breeze block).

I have 3 designs and I am just wondering what would be best suited? also what would be the best way for mounting the middle slat support to ensure it is nice and rigid.

The frame is 6x2 with a 2x2 ledge for the slat support the legs are a 90 x 90 engineered post. The height to the bottom of the bed is 1.2m

bed_zps7ibsboxu.png

Or should an option be to have the bracing like B but also have some on the long length as well to help prevent movement.

Help appreciated.

Regards
Mark

If it is fixed to walls on two sides then it doesn't need any bracing, other than for protection of the one "free" leg from knocks. In fact, if it's fixed to the wall it only needs one leg.

Hi Mike,
Thanks, I was sort of thinking this as well. So as long as I anchor it well to the wall then I should not have any issues really then?

What are your thoughts on fitting the middle slat support. I don't want to just screw into end grain as I can see that being an issue (or will it not) can you think of any better ideas? Maybe like a small joist hanger or something of a similar nature.

Cheers
Mark

Back