Mail order razors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing lots of adverts for mail order razors. Loads of new startups, like Harry's, as well as trad names like Bic.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience of them. I'm tempted.

Nothing better than a traditional double edge razor blade such as Feather in a decent holder such as Gillette Rocket. 10 for under £4, use a nice soap like Mitchell's Woolfat and a stiff badger brush and you will have a lifetime of shaving for a fraction of the cost.

Beg to differ on that, having had to shave every day for 17 years mostly without the aid of a bathroom, found the cheapest to be a good ol' cut throat razor. I bought mine in 1986 (a Dovo plain S/Steel for £80) and still use it every few days, though now I do have a bathroom to use it in ;)

Droogs":17ob8cj1 said:
Beg to differ on that, having had to shave every day for 17 years mostly without the aid of a bathroom, found the cheapest to be a good ol' cut throat razor. I bought mine in 1986 (a Dovo plain S/Steel for £80) and still use it every few days, though now I do have a bathroom to use it in ;)

You could be right, I have never tried to self shave with a cut throat but they are the cheapest as long as you can sharpen it well.

cutting42":2gjaiext said:
You could be right, I have never tried to self shave with a cut throat but they are the cheapest as long as you can sharpen it well.
That begs the question; what's the best way to sharpe... on second thoughts, never mind ;)

cutting42":3hdj891z said:
Nothing better than a traditional double edge razor blade such as Feather in a decent holder such as Gillette Rocket. 10 for under £4, use a nice soap like Mitchell's Woolfat and a stiff badger brush and you will have a lifetime of shaving for a fraction of the cost.

Wot he said.

John

Johnboy":3q86cep6 said:
cutting42":3q86cep6 said:

Wot he said.

John

I am not sure about "best" or "cheapest" but I also favour the double edged approach. Feather blades are my preference, but I did buy a simpler pack of a few different types to try. All were usable, but there was quite a difference between brands. I like the idea of a cut throat, for feeling extra manly, but I cba sharpening one!

Boots used to do a cheap handle for them, but don't seem to now. I have an alternative which wasn't expensive though.

Steve Maskery":2czgkjls said:
I'm seeing lots of adverts for mail order razors. Loads of new startups, like Harry's, as well as trad names like Bic.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience of them. I'm tempted.
I signed up to Harry’s, after a trial of their blades & foam. I like them. Only had one refill so far but I was emailed before it was due to be sent and could have delayed it if I hadn’t needed it. And you can cancel anytime.

I think the trial was £4 (handle & blade, foam) why not give it a try?

Hurray, someone has answered my original question! Thank you Peter.

Actually, thank you all the rest too. Part of me fancies a trad razor set, but it is a much bigger investment just to try it out:
Clickbait

Dibs-h":19ktfrrx said:
Or just watch too many episodes\series of Vikings and end up with a beard. LOL

I buy all my razors from occam's.com. The simplest solution is the best, don't do it.

Another shaving tip...

I switched to DE’s a couple of years ago. Blades £2 for 10 and you can get several shaves from them. They cut cleanly rather than drag.

https://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/ro ... lades.html

Feathers are good blades but very very sharp and can be a bit “fierce” . You can buy a trial selection if different makes to find the ones that suit.
And of course there’s Forums for shaving like Badger and Blade and plenty of how to shave properly videos on U Tube.

Rod

Beard trimmer once a week for "designer stubble" as they call it these days. Works well for me. On the very rare occassion I do shave properly I like the convenience of electric, a rotary philishave.
I used to be into wet shaving, DE and straight razor but facial scarring makes it more difficult as I get older and I don't like my appearance when smooth shaven anymore. Stubble hides that.

I use Shavekit via post and have been very happy...I never run out of blades, my nearest shops are half an hour away, and it works out cheaper for me.The blades are good quality and because they are sent regularly I change them more often. :eek:ccasion5:

Back