Mahogany veneer identfication

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfarris

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been given this Mahogany veneer that I would like to use in a upcoming project.
The project will involve some solid lipping so i need to know what the veneer is to match it.
rsz_ven.jpg

Any help great appreciated

There seems to be many woods that get marked as Mahogany but once you get into veneers that goes up Ten fold, but looking at your bit I'd say that looks very like pomel sapele, so sapele solid to match.

For lippings I often glue 3 sheets of veneer together to form a 1.8mm sheet . Then rip the glued up sheet down into strips. You get perfect match for colour and grain .

Cheers

Jon

Chrispy":1fg8zqcq said:
There seems to be many woods that get marked as Mahogany but once you get into veneers that goes up Ten fold, but looking at your bit I'd say that looks very like pomel sapele, so sapele solid to match.

custard":1fg8zqcq said:

Thanks chaps :) i don`t normally like Sapele because of its striped grain. I really like the 3d effect on this veneer.

JonnyD":1fg8zqcq said:
For lippings I often glue 3 sheets of veneer together to form a 1.8mm sheet . Then rip the glued up sheet down into strips. You get perfect match for colour and grain .

Cheers

Jon

Wow thanks for the top tip Jonny :) What glue do you use to glue them together?

Back