Magma Black Line Titan 400 , the photos / review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Some forum members have asked for the photos , so here we go :mrgreen:
IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

Good so far :p

2.2KW 3 HP Siemens motor
IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

with speed readout and adjustable start and stop ramps
IMG_0776.jpg

Nice size hand wheel , bored through for knock out bar also tapped 1/2 UNC for a vacuum adapter
IMG_0777.jpg

The drive belt pulley cover has a micro switch to stop the lathe when the door is open
IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

The chassis number and CE approval
IMG_0785.jpg

Nice tight indexing facility
IMG_0774.jpg

With 1/2 a turn lock and unlock lever
IMG_0773.jpg

The tail stock has a measure fitted as standard that is useful for drilling / boring
IMG_0788.jpg

and a good size hand wheel
IMG_0786.jpg

The head / tail stock and tool rest fixing are the best I have ever seen , the joints are huge , I have place a £2 coin so you can see the scale of things
IMG_0787.jpg

The thickness of the lathe construction is amazing
IMG_0800.jpg

all components are laser cut for accuracy and the welding is spot on

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

Even the legs are made from thick steel
IMG_0790.jpg

and each leg is height adjustable
IMG_0791.jpg

The main chassis is hollow and can be filled to increase the weight :shock: , it already weighs 300 KGS :shock:
IMG_0799.jpg

The head stock locking leaver is big
IMG_0792.jpg

The head stock can be moved and fixed to any position on the lathe bed
IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Now on to my niggles :?

The main body end caps are held in place with double sided sticky backed magnetic tape
IMG_0802.jpg

The knock out bar is just a bit of rod , no handle and I think it could do with being a bigger diameter ( more weight )

IMG_0798.jpg

Most of my chucks are Axminster super precision , and are M33 x 1.5 , as it the Titan 400 , however the spindle on the Titon is longer and the chucks bottom out before reaching the spindle flange :?

IMG_0793-1.jpg

I spoke to Classic Hand Tools and they are aware of the long spindle and suggested I contact Axminster to see if they could overcome the problem , Axminsters reply was " sorry cant help " as we dont do small runs on our machines ? , so to date I am still looking for a engineering firm to make me 2 spacers
When purchasing a lathe they normally come with the following :-

Drive center
revolving center
face plate
sometimes a chuck
a screw chuck
Instruction book etc

What does the Titan come with ?, nothing :shock: , however I did manage to get a One-Way tail stock center included in the deal , but it was hard work

sorry it does come with a 300mm tool rest , but I had to buy this lot to have full use of the lathe facility's , at an extra cost of £500 notes , as they are 40mm dia I dont think anyone else makes them that big ? maybe VB but I cant remember !

IMG_0739.jpg

also comes with several a4 bits of paper in a 1p ring binder sleeve ( The instruction manual ) :(

What would I do to improve things :-

1, Have a proper instruction book in a nice leather binder ( will get one to shut me up )
2, Do away with the sticky tape and have proper fixings for the end plates
3, Include the drive center / revolving center and face plate and a decent knock out bar
4 Have a laser etched stainless steel plate made with the Titan logo rather that a cheap plastic sticker , would you get a plastic sticker on a Rolls Royce ???

So what do I think of the lathe ??????????????????????

I am in LOVE with a machine :oops:

its fantastic I love it ,Love it ,Love it

I can't see me changing in the near future as I think I am as near to a perfect lathe as I can now get

And boy do I know as I have had a few lathes in the past :oops: :roll: :roll: :oops:

Blurb from the Magma web site

TITAN 400
Specification:
- Swing over bed 400 mm - Distance between centres 800mm - Smooth running - Perfect torsional rigidity - Efficient ejection of wood shavings - Swivelling and sliding head stock - Morsetaper MT2 hardened - Spindle thread M33/DIN800 hardened - Inside thread 1/2“ at back for vaccum connection - Hollow spindle diameter 60 mm - extremely flat toolrest support - for 30 mm and 40 mm stem - Tailstock with 200 mm quill travel, MT3 - Extendable bed - 48 position indexing - Weight approx. 380 kgs - Motor 2,2 kW, 50 Hz - Inverter 230 V - variable speed up to 3000 rpm - Powder coated - Handwheel - 2 step Poly-V-Pulley drive - Forward / Reverse drive - Sturdy A-frame height-adjustable legs

and a link to the web site if needed

http://www.magma-tools.de/Director/idKe ... lack+Line/

Hope you enjoy the photos and review

:ho2 :ho2 :ho2

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Looking forward to seeing the table tops you turn on it :lol:

john

Looks amazing - if only I had the cash to buy one. And a new workshop with a decent amount of room and a strong floor, although if I could afford the lathe then I'd be able to afford a new workshop.
Unless I have a lottery win I don't think I'll be seeing one soon :(
There's a review of the 315 in this month's Woodturning magazine. No mention of your negatives, but they were testing a lathe that was already set up at Classic Hand Tools. One thing they mention is the speed reading not always being a true speed indicator - the low range indicator needs to divided by 3

WOW, that is a serious lathe Blister.

I agree with your niggles, they put all that effort into making a seriously heavy duty lathe and the finishing touches are an after thought.

It's these small details that people really reflect on, I know they're not detrimental to the lathes performance but it'slike turning, you can have the perfect bowl but if the finish isn't right?

Thanks for taking the time to do this m8.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Allan,
Don't forget you have a customer waiting out here for your titan when you decide to get a record :lol: I really like the woodfast I bought from you & have no plans for changing it for a long time
All the best Barry

Blister

You lucky so and so :lol:

Nice review of the lathe. I think you covered some points missed by the magazine review.

Regarding your niggles I think I may be responsible for one; I have the instruction book to review and edit :oops: Though I don't think it'll be issued leather bound :)

I believe the idea of the end caps being attached by magnetic strips is so that they can be removed easily to store items in the bed body. If you can think of a better solution I'm sure Magma would consider it.

The knock out bar has never been an issue for me personnally and I seem to remember in some of the literature mention of customising to suit individuals eg turn your own wooden handle cover for the headstock and tailstock locking bars (I see you have in the pictures). Some Titans I've seen with a turned cover of the headstock hand / indexing wheel.

The headstock spindle length is an issue and I believe Axminster produce 4 different M33 backplates to cater for some of the variations out there. I've turned my own wooden spacer to be able to use the Super Precision on the Titan. The one chuck I know that does fit is the Oneway Stronghold.

I think someone mentioned about the speed display having to be divided by 3 when on the low speed range or was it in the magazine review? I must admit I found that perplexing at first and then amusing. I don't know of any electronically variable speed belt driven lathe where the inverter knows when the speed range has been altered when the user moves the belts and adjusts the display accordingly. :lol:

By the way I thought you had the toolpost stem reducer as well with the lathe?

Enjoy
Mark

cookie777":ojzk2zzq said:
Hi Allan,
Don't forget you have a customer waiting out here for your titan when you decide to get a record :lol: I really like the woodfast I bought from you & have no plans for changing it for a long time
All the best Barry

Hi Barry

" Get a Record " er been there , done that , no going back now , although I have to admit I do own a RPML300 :mrgreen:

I am pleased you are enjoying the Woodfast , it looks good in your workshop , I had no intention of selling it , until I went to the Cressing Temple show :roll: and evicted Rolly Munroe off the lathe for a look see , and ended up buying it

But I don't regret it one little bit :ho2 :ho2

Have fun , and I like the web site :mrgreen:

Mark Hancock":2cej4iox said:
Blister

You lucky so and so :lol:

Nice review of the lathe. I think you covered some points missed by the magazine review.

Regarding your niggles I think I may be responsible for one; I have the instruction book to review and edit :oops: Though I don't think it'll be issued leather bound :)

I believe the idea of the end caps being attached by magnetic strips is so that they can be removed easily to store items in the bed body. If you can think of a better solution I'm sure Magma would consider it.

The knock out bar has never been an issue for me personnally and I seem to remember in some of the literature mention of customising to suit individuals eg turn your own wooden handle cover for the headstock and tailstock locking bars (I see you have in the pictures). Some Titans I've seen with a turned cover of the headstock hand / indexing wheel.

The headstock spindle length is an issue and I believe Axminster produce 4 different M33 backplates to cater for some of the variations out there. I've turned my own wooden spacer to be able to use the Super Precision on the Titan. The one chuck I know that does fit is the Oneway Stronghold.

I think someone mentioned about the speed display having to be divided by 3 when on the low speed range or was it in the magazine review? I must admit I found that perplexing at first and then amusing. I don't know of any electronically variable speed belt driven lathe where the inverter knows when the speed range has been altered when the user moves the belts and adjusts the display accordingly. :lol:

By the way I thought you had the toolpost stem reducer as well with the lathe?

Enjoy
Mark

Hi Mark

So you have my instruction book :mrgreen: , is it any better than A4 bit of paper in a ring binder sleeve ?

Regarding the end caps , I do understand the storage part of it , but cant get my head around sticky tape on a lathe of this quality and value :?

The knock out bar I think is quite pony , little or no thought go into it , but again its not the end of the world , I will make one more suited to the quality of the lathe , no big deal

The headstock spindle length is an issue :? and none of Axminsters back plates fit as I phoned them today , They advised going to a local machine shop and getting a spacer made , O bum , I have a One Way stronghold chuck as well but as yet Have not tried to use it on the lathe but will in the morning :( anyone want to buy a chuck .

Speed display , To be honest I never look at it anyway , always have the speed set for me when I can see all is well :mrgreen: , big out of balance items are set slow ( yes I am a coward ) the more in balance the faster the speed :lol:

Toolpost stem reducer , yes It did come with one but as All the tool rest post bar one are 40mm , it only needed for one rest

As stated I love the lathe , but its like buying a RR with some cheap bits that just slightly take the edge of it , Quality should be quality 100 %

Thanks for the reply's

Allen

She's a beauty!

Can't see any of the niggles being remembered once you've spent a few weeks turning wood. I'll be gobsmacked if/when you sell this one! :lol: :lol: (You've got my number for when you do :-" )

Reminds me, The tailstock on my Statesman has broke. Can I have a refund? :lol:

Dunno Allen, it literally just broke. I think the thread has stripped. It just turns but doesn't move the MT. I need to get on to Silverdrive.

wizer":1kg18k40 said:
Dunno Allen, it literally just broke. I think the thread has stripped. It just turns but doesn't move the MT. I need to get on to Silverdrive.
Tom

I think I read recently that Silverdrive have gone bust :(

You may find that the grub screw that keeps the tailstock quill in position has worked loose?

Hi Allen

Blister":310lfizu said:
So you have my instruction book :mrgreen: , is it any better than A4 bit of paper in a ring binder sleeve ?

Don't know about the ring binder but a lot more than an A4 sheet, that's why it's taking me so long :(

The knock out bar I think is quite pony , little or no thought go into it , but again its not the end of the world , I will make one more suited to the quality of the lathe , no big deal

Be carefully you don't overdo it with the knock out bar. You may damage the end of the MT.
The headstock spindle length is an issue :? and none of Axminsters back plates fit as I phoned them today , They advised going to a local machine shop and getting a spacer made , O bum , I have a One Way stronghold chuck as well but as yet Have not tried to use it on the lathe but will in the morning :( anyone want to buy a chuck .
I've had the same issue on other lathes with the various back plates I have for my Super Precision where they don't register fully.

If you are serious about selling yours let me know, I could always do with another :)

Speed display , To be honest I never look at it anyway , always have the speed set for me when I can see all is well :mrgreen: , big out of balance items are set slow ( yes I am a coward ) the more in balance the faster the speed :lol:
Not a coward, that's the way to do it =D>

As stated I love the lathe , but its like buying a RR with some cheap bits that just slightly take the edge of it , Quality should be quality 100 %
Yes I can understand that and do agree

Blister":2n1e37og said:
big out of balance items are set slow ( yes I am a coward ) the more in balance the faster the speed :lol:

I guess the standard technique of setting the speed of out of balance items by starting slow and increasing the speed until the lathe starts to wobble does not apply with that behemoth ;)

I am so jealous... I wonder if I can convince SWMBO in a couple of years that getting one for my mid-life crisis would be cheaper than a Porche or a Harley ;)

Thanks for sharing.

Tha lathe is dreadful - wot no leather-bound instruction manual.

Just to help you out with the offending item I'll come and collect it from you so these don't continue to trouble you - at no charge !!! How's that for being helpful.

I think it looks magnificent. must be good to have a workshop big enough to accommodate such a beast of a machine.

Enjoy

Colin

Hi Allen,
What a serious piece of kit! It always seems that as you move forward there are always those little niggles to slow your progress to full enjoyment.
As you require spacers to obtain a suitable fit for the chucks can I offer my services to turn these up for you as cost effectively as i can.
Please let me have the dimensions if you cannot find anyone more local to turn up some suitable spacers.
Regards,
Ian

Latest posts

Back