Machine wax

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradshaw Joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
I have prettymuch run out of the old tin i have,and cannot find it for sale anywhere, so what do you guys reccomend?

Any info on the rutlands boeing spray? seems expensive and would prefer a tin of wax.

thanks marcros, so thats a liquid that sets and then is buffed off? do you use it, and how long before reaplication?

no sorry, I dont use it. I happened to see it whilst looking on the liberon site for something else the other day, and it was in my mind.

Hi

I use the Liberon wax, which is a sort of gloopy waxy fluid, let it dry and buff. I think it's great - no rust and the work slides freely. Sorry but I can't comment on the longevity of the application as I'm only an occaisional woodworker and I think it would depend on use of treated surfaces.

A can has lasted me for several years :D

Regards Mick

Spindle":28tlb5np said:
Hi

I use the Liberon wax, which is a sort of gloopy waxy fluid, let it dry and buff. I think it's great - no rust and the work slides freely. Sorry but I can't comment on the longevity of the application as I'm only an occaisional woodworker and I think it would depend on use of treated surfaces.

A can has lasted me for several years :D

Regards Mick

Same here Mick, works great, very economical and easy to use, my can has lasted probably five to seven years too, on a hobbyist basis too mind !

Cheers, Paul

Good to hear the liberon stuff works well, as its quite well priced!

i think the Wh stuff is probably overkill for me to be using day to day, but thanks for the link! Next time i put an order in i might buy a tub for comparison! :D

I agree on microcrystaline wax (Rennaisance wax) on my bandsaw table and other stuff. Even works great on my plywood router table.

It doesn`t seem to work on planes though , I mean to prevent rusty finger marks. Does anyone have a tip for something this purpose?

Ollie

This might sound daft, but Pledge furniture polish has been recommended to me as the cheapest option for protecting my bandsaw table. I'm told (but can't vouch for) that it has the same compounds as the more expensive waxes from Axi or Liberon. I've had a look at the ingredients, but it's all Latin to me (Dimethicone and Polydimethylsiloxane anyone?).

Noggsy i think the spray type polishes contain silicone, so proably best to avoid!

i ordered some liberon stuff, never heard of rennaisance wax before though!

Need to be careful with silicone near anything that you want to apply a finish to. When i orked in the automotive industry, the paint sprayers had a list of banned personal care products (certain deodourants, hair products etc.). If they used them they used to get cratering all over the cars. Probably explains why they were such a filthy bunch!!

I have been using the Liberon Wax for over a month or so, definately noticed a difference in application times ove the old wax, probably waxed the planer/thicknessor 3 times, and the spindle, but everything else has had just the one coat and still slick when pushing wood over.

I just applied it at night thinly and left to dry, then straight to work next day.

Back