M.D.F Painting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coat of primer - then sand down with very fine wet and dry paper. Pay attention to the edges - make sure you get them smooth.
Hoover up the dust, wipe down with a cloth soaked in white spirit, add another coat of primer.

I use the Wickes Trade series of water based paints. 2 coats - WT Super grip primer, 2 coats - WT Truewhite undercoat & 2 coats - WT Truewhite liquid gloss. Denibbing between coats with 180, 240 or 320 grit. I usually use a small 6" roller (not a foam roller, these leave loads of bubbles behind) to apply all the products but keep a decent 2" brush to hand to deal with any tight corners or awkward edges.

I've been using this system for a few years on MDF and find it applies well, builds up nicely, stays white (no yellowing at all) and best of all you can clean up with water.

I usually put the primer coats on pretty heavy at the cut edges of the MDF and then sand it back level with a block and 180 grit paper. In warm conditions the gloss sometimes benefits from a bit of Floetrol paint additive to help it level out and keeping the wet edge live.

Stanleymonkey":ubyjt41r said:
Coat of primer - then sand down with very fine wet and dry paper. Pay attention to the edges - make sure you get them smooth.
Hoover up the dust, wipe down with a cloth soaked in white spirit, add another coat of primer.

Any recommendations re: primer? Solvent or water based? Particular brand?

I saw a video on YouTube not long ago comparing various edge treatments, the result was that there was no difference between solvent and water based paints, both caused the edges to go a little furry and needed to be sanded down to attain a smooth finish.

With this in mind I always go for water based as it is so much easier to clean up brushes and rollers. As I mentioned earlier the Wickes Trade Super grip primer has always done well for me.

Back