Luna W59

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanG

Established Member
Reaction score
I became the proud owner of a Combination machine yesterday but it needs lots of TLC.

I'm missing the manual and a few bits - mainly the crank handle for adjusting the blade height, angle and thicknesser height. The fence for the planer, a spindle block and the sliding table top (there is an arrangement of bars and bearings on the side of the table).

Does anyone know where I can source parts for this machine? Or can anyone offer advice on it's operation?

I've never owned anything like this before and any info would be gratefully received.

My most immediate need, is the crank handle. It needs to fit over a 16mm rod and none of my internet searchs have shown a suitable size being available.

If there is any interest in pictures of rust I can provide quite a few.

Sean

Is it a round 16mm rod or is the end shaped in some way to stop the handle spinning?

JAson

Unfortunately, Sean, Luna ceased manufacturing woodworking machinery something like 20 years ago. There was a firm in Sweden or Finland who did some spares a couple of years back, but I can't find any reference to them on the web any longer :x

To be frank I think you'll struggle with a fence for the planer. Luna had a distinctive arrangement where the fence was attached to a round bar at the infeed end of the planer. The nearest I can think of to that system is the Felder planers which also have the fence attached to a dovetailed block at the end of their planer/thicknessers. At least with the Felder you can buy the attachment block and the fence so if you can't get one anywhere else that's somewhere to go to. Almost all other planers you'll come across have a fence which attaches to the side of the machine.

The sliding table is possibly a bit more hopeful as I have a couple of photos of the arrangement. The top is little more than a steel (or ally?) plate so fabrication is possible there. The fence bar might present a few more problems if that's gone. although once again Felder sell theirs so they might be worth looking at. It is visible at the back of this shot together with the peculiar-looking fence/mitre fence assembvly supplied with the machines, As you can see it is little more than a flat piece of steel folded over at the two edges, so hopefully you can estinated the length from this photo (admittedly of the spindle, but I believe they utilised the same components as the saw and saw/spindle) and get the width from the existing metalwork:

LunaL28withtooling.jpg

At least many of the other items such as saw blades, planer irons, etc are standard, as is the spindle moulder (you do have a fence for that, don't you? If not APTC sell a shaper fence which is actually pretty good), which is has a 30mm shaft, so the blocks are readily available.

On the subject of the crank handles might it not be possible to get a 16mm square drive socket (such things used to exist in the catalogues of industrial hand tool suppliers like Snap-On), saw the end off and have a bent steel handle welded on? I even wonder if there's something like an electrical equipment bosx access key somewhere which looks like that, or what about the possibility of getting someone to turn you up some hollow shaft extenders (because I think the ends of the shafts may be too far inside the framework to attach handwheels directly) and fitting modern nylon hand wheels such as those made by Cotel ("Britain's No. 1 for Knobs"). This is the type of handle they used on the L28 stand-alone spindle moulder and Cotel make somethink very similar (these are generally supplied with a 6mm hole bored in the middle so that you can reamer/bore out to your required diameter):

LunaL28cutteradjustment.jpg

jasonB":1o1jjfw7 said:
Is it a round 16mm rod or is the end shaped in some way to stop the handle spinning?
I thought the ends of the shafts were square and the key was a Z-shaped piece of steel with a square socket in one end.

For anyone not familiar with it, this is a W59 (mid 1980s advert):

LunaAdvert.jpg

Regards

Scrit

Ahhhh, I see, the table looks quite simple and from the carriage section I've got I can visualise how it would work. A fence for it would be simple enough to make as well.

The planer fence will be trickier I think.

The 16mm control levers are round bars with a pin through them, it looks as if a handle would just slot over - again simple enough to make - just time consuming. I'll get the Cotel catalogue as their range seems very comprehensive

I have the guards for the spindle moulder (sans spring strips) which is fortunate - from what I've read here I'd go nowhere near an unguarded SM.

Thanks for all the info.

Scrit, you didn't look hard enough, they are indeed in sweden, there are a few parts listed for the W59 but all in swedish but looking at the sizes I suspect they are bearings.

http://www.lunaexport.com/

Jason

Sean,

I have the same machine - for some years now - been a good friend and done lots of work!

Take the table top off and take to a good machinist and have the miter slot milled to take the standard 3/4 bar all standard ancillaries will then fit

I have the parts listing and user guide if you pm me with your address i will send you a copy in the post - if you need any photos of the machine our bits just let me know.

Scrit - would you like a copy for your vast archive of woodworking memorabilia?

Duncan

If it's any help I have the standalone Table saw by Luna - the sliding table arrangement looks exactly the same, also the saw fence - I'm happy to provide photos/dimensions etc - pm me.

Chris.

Hello everybody!

I found this site in some strange way. I´m from Sweden and know a little bit of the Luna brand. I bought a Luna W 57 3 months ago. Luna was/is just a distributor and branded these machines, The company which manufactured the machines is still alive and in good health. They still have spareparts and whatever you will need.
www.ejca.se
Call them they probably speek a good english

If you have any questions you are welcome to get in touch with me. I live 100 km from Ejca and have some contacts in the town where Ejca is situated

Sten-Åke Granberg

Scrit":174fbqj7 said:
Unfortunately, Sean, Luna ceased manufacturing woodworking machinery something like 20 years ago. There was a firm in Sweden or Finland who did some spares a couple of years back, but I can't find any reference to them on the web any longer :x

To be frank I think you'll struggle with a fence for the planer. Luna had a distinctive arrangement where the fence was attached to a round bar at the infeed end of the planer. The nearest I can think of to that system is the Felder planers which also have the fence attached to a dovetailed block at the end of their planer/thicknessers. At least with the Felder you can buy the attachment block and the fence so if you can't get one anywhere else that's somewhere to go to. Almost all other planers you'll come across have a fence which attaches to the side of the machine.

The sliding table is possibly a bit more hopeful as I have a couple of photos of the arrangement. The top is little more than a steel (or ally?) plate so fabrication is possible there. The fence bar might present a few more problems if that's gone. although once again Felder sell theirs so they might be worth looking at. It is visible at the back of this shot together with the peculiar-looking fence/mitre fence assembvly supplied with the machines, As you can see it is little more than a flat piece of steel folded over at the two edges, so hopefully you can estinated the length from this photo (admittedly of the spindle, but I believe they utilised the same components as the saw and saw/spindle) and get the width from the existing metalwork:

LunaL28withtooling.jpg

At least many of the other items such as saw blades, planer irons, etc are standard, as is the spindle moulder (you do have a fence for that, don't you? If not APTC sell a shaper fence which is actually pretty good), which is has a 30mm shaft, so the blocks are readily available.

On the subject of the crank handles might it not be possible to get a 16mm square drive socket (such things used to exist in the catalogues of industrial hand tool suppliers like Snap-On), saw the end off and have a bent steel handle welded on? I even wonder if there's something like an electrical equipment bosx access key somewhere which looks like that, or what about the possibility of getting someone to turn you up some hollow shaft extenders (because I think the ends of the shafts may be too far inside the framework to attach handwheels directly) and fitting modern nylon hand wheels such as those made by Cotel ("Britain's No. 1 for Knobs"). This is the type of handle they used on the L28 stand-alone spindle moulder and Cotel make somethink very similar (these are generally supplied with a 6mm hole bored in the middle so that you can reamer/bore out to your required diameter):

LunaL28cutteradjustment.jpg

jasonB":174fbqj7 said:
I thought the ends of the shafts were square and the key was a Z-shaped piece of steel with a square socket in one end.

For anyone not familiar with it, this is a W59 (mid 1980s advert):

LunaAdvert.jpg

Regards

Scrit

The manufacturing company is named Ejca and they are stlll producing machines. Luna just branded their machines.
Try www.ejca.se

Sten

Hello All, I came across this thread because I am considering buying a Luna W57. Seems to be in good condition and including accessories. Do you think £1000 is a good price (seems it to me) and what other advice can you give me about buying this machine? Many thanks!

My impression is that it is a sturdy and good machine!
It is manufactured in Sweden by EJCA and branded by LUNA
They have a Brittish representative and you can get the name of that company
from [email protected]. No problems with spare parts!

Stenis49

Thanks Stenis, I have emailed Ejca and found them helpful. They say they do have limited spare parts. The machine has no braking mechanism though and this would be hard to retrofit - so I wonder if it will be too much of a liability as I will be taking on more staff.

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone out there has a manual for the W59? I'm in Melbourne and just picked up a Luna to kick along my passion for backyard woodworking. Used to play with a Felder 20 odd years ago and am super excited..... An operations manual would be great for a weekend warrior like me though. Just a few photos of the key info would be great.

Thanks in advance Sam

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone out there has a manual for the W59? I'm in Melbourne and just picked up a Luna to kick along my passion for backyard woodworking. Used to play with a Felder 20 odd years ago and am super excited..... An operations manual would be great for a weekend warrior like me though. Just a few photos of the key info would be great.

Thanks in advance Sam
Hi SamKiwi
I just saw your request for a Luna manual. I have excellent quality manual, parts list, colour brochure. Still need that?
Happy to send along.

Cheers,
Scott Taylor
Queensland

Back