Luban Spokeshaves - Are they any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
If the luban shaves are faithful copies of the lie Nielsen, the should be good for fine work. If you're roughing something, the small mouth on the lie Nielsen shaves can leave you wanting a little bit. Since you already have the Stanley for that, it shouldn't be an issue. The small mouth can certainly come in handy for some things.

No opinion on the bronze vs iron, but most say that the ln shaves are really nice pieces of kit.

Can't find one of the lubans set properly to judge the mouth size. It hinges completely on that.

Machining looks a bit crude compared to the lie Nielsen.

I have the cast iron version, but I think it has a better iron than the ones Rutlands presently sell - it's extremely hard steel, about 4-5mm thick, and takes and holds an edge very well indeed. There is nothing stamped on the iron, but from memory (about six years ago), it was one of the "posh" steels. I have no trouble sharpening it ("scary sharp").

I like it a lot. Like the OP I have never got on with the standard style of metal shave, although that might just have been ignorance of correct usage (my #80 scraper plane I find comfortable). I find the Luban one comfortable and I get nice results with it. I've been tempted to get a second one and grind it convex, as the only issue really is doing concave curves.

But as I said, I'm not sure of the steel used in the newer irons that Rutlands sells. For that reason I might go for a bronze one (and grind the cast iron body one I already have). Or perhaps just buy a more expensive, but predictable, US-made one.

Trouble is that I so rarely need one (and a convex plane even less so), that I usually think about that just after I've struggled for a bit, and then found another way, usually involving sanding.

Using the box lid as a reference, it's remarkably easy to set up: just assemble it loose, and put the sole down on the lid, with the iron lined up with the grain of the plywood. Use thumb pressure VERY gently on the back of the iron whilst you tighten up. That usually gives excellent results for beech, at least as a starting point.

Having a hard steel is helpful too, as the middle of the iron gets consistently hard wear, and it means a reasonable time between honings.

E.

PS: on mine the overall weight is nice, as are the Bubinga handles. If you get one, watch out for the small, thick brass washers under the thumbscrews. They're easily dropped (and non-magnetic, obviously), and you do need washers. This thread reminds me to put some cheap steel washers in the box for actual use, and keep the brass ones safe!

I have been fine using a vintage stanley 151, it was in excellent condition though, almost NOS, admittedly I flattened the sole which is probably overkill, but it really does work well, once it was set up, I'm wondering whether you've got a rubbish blade and that could be causing it? it's common to find modern blade replacements which are inferior to the older ones, I think mine is an earlier one but have no idea on the exact age.

Having used Eriks one I was going to say "wot he said", but he beat me to it. It was easy to use and control, certainly nicer than my stanley, shame he keeps it in a locked box.....

I have the Boggs style from Workshop Heaven. It's great, I'm sure you'll like it! Custard gave me the helpful tip of adjusting blade depth by tapping it on the bench. Works a treat.

D_W":3co4t4vd said:
Can't find one of the lubans set properly to judge the mouth size. It hinges completely on that.

Machining looks a bit crude compared to the lie Nielsen.

I was thinking that, but always hard to tell completely from photos.

Eric The Viking":1mcs70y2 said:
I have the cast iron version, but I think it has a better iron than the ones Rutlands presently sell - it's extremely hard steel, about 4-5mm thick, and takes and holds an edge very well indeed. There is nothing stamped on the iron, but from memory (about six years ago), it was one of the "posh" steels. I have no trouble sharpening it ("scary sharp").

Good info - thanks.

I wonder if that is the difference between the two on the Rutlands site at the moment - maybe one is an older designer with the better steel. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell the difference other than the price.

I use a record for flat spoking. Seems to hold an edge a loooong time. It's quite well cast tbh. The Chinese luban etc are usually excellent though. The irons tend to embarrass lie Nielsen et Al imho! They feel a bit like Sheffield made tools workmanlike and good where it matters. Lie Nielsen(et Al)are a bit over preened to really enjoy using.( Like one of those plough planes given to long serving joiners)

Get a Hock low angle blade and make your own spokeshave, the instructions are in one of the David Charlesworth books. You can get blanks with the blade fitted just leaving the handles to shape.
They work very well and stay sharp for ages.

Pete

I have all three of the LN Boggs spokeshaves. Over the past weekend, I had a close look at the Luban knock off. The mouth was about 1/8" wide when closed up. This is unacceptable. I suspect that it could be corrected with a few layers of brass shim stock. I would do that with a cheap Stanley #51, but I would expect that of the Stanley and not for the Luban.

The best vintage spokeshave is the Stanley #53, which has a variable mouth (it may be opened- or closed).

Regards from Perth

Derek

The best vintage spokeshave is the Stanley #53, which has a variable mouth (it may be opened- or closed).

+1

The 53 is a really excellent spokeshave, and it comes in both flat bottomed and round bottomed variants.
Spokeshaves-02-(053).jpg

The problem, in the UK at least, is that the great majority of the 53's I see for sale are pretty much past saving. Either the irons are worn right down to last mill or two, or the adjustment mechanism and spring are clapped out. But if you're patient and put the time into finding one of the rare examples that are still in good condition, then you'll be rewarded with a really first class tool that's capable of the very finest work.

Attachments

• Spokeshaves-02-(053).jpg
    Spokeshaves-02-(053).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,498
I have all three of the LN Boggs spokeshaves. Over the past weekend, I had a close look at the Luban knock off. The mouth was about 1/8" wide when closed up. This is unacceptable. I suspect that it could be corrected with a few layers of brass shim stock. I would do that with a cheap Stanley #51, but I would expect that of the Stanley and not for the Luban.

Hi Derek, I'm pretty certain mine is nowhere near as wide as that, but I've had it a while and the details of manufacturing seem to have changed a bit. I'll have a look later when I get time. I'll also keep an eye out for a #53, now I've had two recommendations about them :)

Are there varying degrees of quality depending on who's selling them? Eg. Quangsheng planes from Workshop Heaven vs. Rutlands? Either way I've been pleased with my spokeshave so far.

custard":1xqityec said:

+1

The 53 is a really excellent spokeshave, and it comes in both flat bottomed and round bottomed variants.

The problem, in the UK at least, is that the great majority of the 53's I see for sale are pretty much past saving. Either the irons are worn right down to last mill or two, or the adjustment mechanism and spring are clapped out. But if you're patient and put the time into finding one of the rare examples that are still in good condition, then you'll be rewarded with a really first class tool that's capable of the very finest work.
Interesting info... I had never heard of the 53. Will have a look

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Regards from Perth

Derek
Interesting... Usually the QA is pretty good on the Luban stuff from what I hear. Disappointing

El Barto":2p8q3nkr said:
Are there varying degrees of quality depending on who's selling them? Eg. Quangsheng planes from Workshop Heaven vs. Rutlands? Either way I've been pleased with my spokeshave so far.
Apparently, the Workshop Heaven stuff is usually a bit better

Bodgers":2bb5zspi said:
I have a 'modern' Stanley spoke-shave, which despite Sir Paul's opinions, just isn't doing it for me.
If someone already asked this and I missed it apologies, but what are you asking it to do? There are finer and coarser spokeshaves but the former aren't necessarily needed; tight mouths have always been valued by some users because of what they needed their shaves to do but bog-standard Stanley 151s (and the 51 before it) sold in their thousands and clearly did everything their users expected of them. A lot can be achieved with a basic shave if used religiously 'downhill' and skewed as and when needed.

Back