Low Angle Block Plane Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.A.S

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

at the risk of producing groans of "not another one", I'd appreciate your views on the above.

Notably, I've been thinking that the LN L/A Rebate Block (507) would be a sensible choice given is versatility (a Jack Block? :wink:), and have just seen that Alf would seem to agree ('total beginner' thread). However, the rebate block does not have an adjustable mouth; would this be a significant disadvantage? Is it worth paying £40 more than the LN102 for a longer mouth and wider blade?

In short, does the advantage of the 9 1/2's adjustable mouth outweigh the benefits of the rebate block's versatility?

Thanks.

Jeremy

Jas

I have the LN block, the small low angle LN block and the rebate + a record and (used to have) a stanley.

The LN Rebate block plane is my favorite by far, and the most used. In fact it is amongst my 3 favourite hand tools

You will not be disappointed - especially when tidying up the faces of tenons

Cheers

Tony

Jeremy,

I find a lot of block plane use seems to be on end grain, where the mouth size really isn't that important. So much so that I find I reach for my fixed mouth L-N over the adjustable all the time. Having a plane that'll reach right into the corner of a joint is head and shoulders above the adjustable mouth in the useful plane features league, in my opinion. 'Course, the best solution would probably be a 60 1/2 and a shoulder plane, but I better not push me luck... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks, Tony and Alf.

I've been preparing to take the low angle Block plunge for some time (that's if it's possible to plunge from the bottom of a slope :wink: ), having been relying on an aged standard block, which is marked simply as "Foreign" :evil: and has no adjustment apart from the cap iron wheel; it's basically a copy of the Stanley 110.

I want to use my new block for shooting end grain (which, unhappily, means that the LN all-bronze beauty might be out), as well as the usual jobs. I can't afford a dedicated shoulder plane as well as a new block, so the LN block rebate would be a sensible choice.

Right, Alf, here goes; you're on the spot, or, rather, the 3-in-1 slick:

imagine that you've got little cash floating around, and can only afford to buy one block plane :eek: , and a nagging voice in your mind reminds you that a Clifton 5 is only £40 more than the LN blocks (you also need a Jack :shock: ), what do you choose

LN 102, LN60 1/2, LN 507, or Veritas Apron or Low Angle?

Having lit the blue touch-paper, I'll now retreat to a safe distance.

Jeremy

jas":mk052c6q said:
Right, Alf, here goes; you're on the spot, or, rather, the 3-in-1 slick:

imagine that you've got little cash floating around, and can only afford to buy one block plane :eek: , and a nagging voice in your mind reminds you that a Clifton 5 is only £40 more than the LN blocks (you also need a Jack :shock: ), what do you choose

LN 102, LN60 1/2, LN 507, or Veritas Apron or Low Angle?

Having lit the blue touch-paper, I'll now retreat to a safe distance.
Ah, hypothetical tool buying. Almost my number one favourite hobby...

I think I'm gonna have to stick with the #507, simply because being able to trim joints and that with a plane with a full width blade is so jolly useful. Although the Veritas blocks are much better suited to shooting board work. But then a decent jack is great on a shooting board too... Maybe a low angle jack? Hmm, d'you know, I'm not sure I'm the right person to ask when it comes to buying just one plane... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks, Alf.

I didn't mean to imply that it would be a jack or a block, I'm going to have to get both. Rather, just that the LN Rebate Block would leave less in the kitty for a decent jack.

So, if you could have only one block..?

I think I would have to agree with Alf on the LA Jack......esp if you want to shoot end grain and you also get a bloody good Jack plane too!!

SimonA
Who would never ever part with his 60.5!!

Hi All,
I use my Clifton #5 for all my shooting board work. It works amazingly well. and I have the Low Angle jack too. Still reach for the #5.
It's on sale at Axminster too at the moment (or it was.) leaving more money for the Block plane.
Just my 5p worth,
regards,
Philly :D

Jas..
if I may be so bold as to differ with your choices..

If I'm reading your intended uses right, instingt says that the block rebate plane might not be the best choice if you intend using it on a shooting board; with the blade extending to the full width of the plane, there's nothing to prevent the block gradually advancing into the shooting board. Using a conventional blade cuts into the board slightly when the board's new, but eventually the plane rides against the side of the mouth. If I were limited to just the one block to try to cover most of the uses, I'd look carefully at the L-N 140 skew block plane. The skew makes light work of cross grain work, the right hand side of the body detaches to let the plane tackle rebate work when used in conjunction with the side fence that comes with it. Like all multi-role tools, there's been a few compromises in its construction, but overall it's none too shabby even if the skew makes it a little harder to sharpen with a honing guide..

just my tuppence worth

I went two yards from the computer and then said "D'oh". If you want to use a block for shooting the rebating type is exactly the wrong thing to get. :oops: It'll just eat the shooting board and trash any accuracy it might have. So, if it's a block for block's sakes, and you want to shoot with it, then either the L-N 60 1/2 or the Veritas low angle. Which depends entirely on personal preference. I believe I'm right in saying Brimarc will take a tool back if you find it isn't right for you, so perhaps start with the Veritas to try? You can't really beat the larger size of a jack for serious shooting though - the weight makes all the difference. Maybe a reconditioned one from Ray Iles would do the trick, if he has any?

Of course you could then have time to save up for, say, the new Veritas bullnose...

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for those suggestions.

However, mention of the LN LA Jack has opened a huge can of worms: just checked it out, and :shock: , oh dear, isn't it luvvverly?

Now what? Clifton 5 or this apparently wonderful creation, as well as a new block? Or do I try to forget that I know about the LA jack?

Presumably, with a spare blade ground at a steeper angle, the LN 62 might be the better choice. But, would I then miss a real jack and the great Bedrockesque frog?

All the while, I'm still checking ebay for tunable jacks, blocks, et al.

:cry: Can someone help?

just checked it out, and , oh dear, isn't it luvvverly?

NOT trying to complicate things ......but ummm...
it feels every bit as good in the hand (and on the board) as it looks...

<whistles...
:wink:

Jas,
The decision is yours mate!
Personally, #5 and a decent block-start with the basics and build from there :D
Philly :D

Well, the low angle jack is frequently recommended as a first plane... Put it this way, you'd still get back most/all/maybe more of your investment if you decided to sell it, so you could argue it's a win/win situation. :wink:

Oh, let's face it, whichever you get it'll be a joy to use. :D

Cheers, Alf

I have the Clifton #5 and its a very nice plane indeed, but if I had to make a choice again I think I'd go with the LN LA Jack as its a bit more of an alrounder. You have all the advantages of the #5, but with all the advantages of a blcok plane rolled into one.

Having said all that you'll still need a LN LA block plane!!

SimonA

Jas

I can easily use my LN rabbet block plane for shooting as the blade has some lateral movement. In fact, to use it on each side one needs to shift the blade over slightly as it is just a little wider than the plane body (like a shoulder plane).
Also, the plane is wider than most blocks and so easier to hold when shooting boards.

I highly recommend the LN rabbet as the plane to buy - you won't regret it. I f you do i'll eat mine :wink:

I believe Bean can confirm it's beauty and prowess as I took it over on monday for a little play :)

Cheers

|Tony

Alf

You're right!!! :oops:

The lateral adjustment on the blade is just enough to overcome this problem but this is not really a suitable plane for the shooting board.

A 'brain out' moment :cry:

I offer no excuses but it has been a hard week, I've been very busy with work and haven't been in the workshiop for ages and then there's the late nights and trhe worry and strain of being a moderator and........

Cheers

Tony

Back