Lorries with a hexagon logo livery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":asekf27k said:
I was very gruntled with his attitude, actually, it was an excellent response.

Very disappointing Steve, here I am educating the world and you ignored your opportunity, I have ammended your post. :D

Hi Nigel

In our case my fil was 85, had dementia and was a nightmare on the roads, we banned our kids from ever getting into his car and he had numerous minor accidents and some very close to serious ones. Wrong way around roundabouts, would stop at a junction with no idea where he was or which direction to go, pulling out in front of people, even left the car in the middle of an airport carpark road, doors standing open engine runnin and couldn't remember where it was.
Normally they can be forced off the road by sky high insurance costs but as an ex major insurance co branch manager he had no excess and they kept his premiums down, wouldn't have mattered as he was well enough off to pay in any case.
He flatly refused to give up driving and got highly annoyed whenever the subject was raised and just ticked the relevant boxes on his renewal e.g. are you confused ( no ), do you have memory loss ( no ) etc.

I have a close mate who at the time was a DI and when I asked for unofficial advice he said there was nothing the police could do until he had a notifiable accident and in fact he was facing similar issues with his own father. :roll:

So in desperation I eventually 'phoned the DVLA for advice and they were excellent, promised to keep everything confidential and would send him out a "standard" questionaire because of his age" which would include a comment from his GP.

He was advised not to drive and even to this day, long after his death I feel guilty and need to remind myself I might have saved someones life, maybe a child!

We were more aggressive in our arguments with mil when she reached 90 but eventually persuaded her to swap for a mobility scooter - she's bloody dangerous on that as well and I've had to secretly limit it to 4 mph :wink:

I hate tail-gaters. Had one the other day, right up my tail pipe, lights flashing, horn sounding, the lot. Had no affect on me though, I slowed right down, teach them a lesson or two, arrogant sods, thinking they own the road just because they drive an ambulance!

Trevanion":1uhyn116 said:
rafezetter":1uhyn116 said:
There's no "trouble" trevanion - it just takes a bit longer, make allowances, change the route, whatever.

"problem" solved.

If you and the locals know it's going to be there why do you continue the same routine? "definition of madness" and all that.

You obviously haven't spent too much time out of the city :lol: There is only one route from A to B, we're not fortuitous enough to have more than one road! I suppose you could say there is more than one route but a 10-mile detour isn't pleasant, isn't good for the car, the environment nor my wallet. As a matter of fact there was an incident on this road not to long ago where a horse transporter smashed through a bridge and blocked the road, the clear up took hours and your options of detour were an 8-mile slog back up the mountain, bunch of fairly nasty, narrow roads and right around onto another main road before you end up the other side of the incident. Or there was option B where you spent 4 miles on single track lanes with hairpin bends and going over two fords (Rivers between you and me) before you got to the other side of the incident. Of course, a lot of people went for option B and it was pure chaos trying to pass each other when there was a backload of 10 or so each side.

I've had city people here before "So is this a one-way road then?" before we encounter the massive milk tanker, the look on their faces was priceless! :lol:

rafezetter":1uhyn116 said:
He left for workearlier to "beat most of the traffic" - he got to work relaxed, had a coffee, read the paper and had a good day. He didnt get to work with seconds to spare because he didn't leave enough time.

That's me, consistently around 5-10 minutes early per day. Mainly because I like turning everything on in the morning and making a start with whatever is on the bench at the time and as you say, it's less stressful than trying to rush in (Not that that matters too much, you might still get stuck behind cattle being walked on the road :lol:)

I was being more generalistic tbh, I know some roads are the only way in and out; I drive on occasion to Brecon to visit a friend and as you say it can be a bit of a PITA with farm traffic etc - and I DO see how doing that everyday can become a real teeth grinder, but I still hold that's only really the case if you bring a certain mentality with you on the journey of "I get angry when this happens all the time regardless of where I am", and it seems as though some of the sentiments of the posts reflect that, so it was on that basis I made my generalisation :)

BTW I am glad we are on speaking terms)

RogerS":rgkkssve said:
My point was and I will re-iterate it before you go off on one of your rants again without bothering to read what someone has posted..

My point is that there are some people who, for various reasons, should not be driving on the roads. Capisce ?

I agree - there are some people on the roads that shouldn't be there** - but if you would kindly re-read your post, you didn't cater to any other option BUT "imcompetant, blind or just useless".

See for yourself, there's no caveat for "I also understand there can be legitimate reasons for a vehicle going slowly".

So I just cleared that up in way that left no ambiguity, which your post very much did.

RogerS - If you want the luxury of picking me up on omissions or vague statements when I make a post that doesn't explicitly state every single bloody variable possible; which in turn then requires a VERY LONG /rant post that you seem so fond of denigrating, and you've done both more than a few times in the Brexit thread, then I'll pick you up on your omissions and vague statements too, thanks.

Good for the goose and all that.

Capice?

**and unless you are traffic police, I still hold YOU nor anyone else gets to make that judgement, otherwise you're just another "I'm better than you" arrogant driver as John Brown stated.

RogerS":1swotomv said:
No, there is one sure way of getting them to keep their distance and that is drive as if you're drunk.

I wonder if running my "P" plate again will have a difference? Seems lots of drivers give "P" plates a wide berth, possibly believing they may still be an erratic driver.

Lons":157jdlsx said:
just don't bloody know the WHY, of what might be happening in the car in front to make it be going at "less than expected*" speed.

That of course is true if you're in a strange area and encounter a car crawling but in my experience when you do pass that vehicle the driver will be exactly what you expect to see, often with his / her nose almost on the windscreen, hands with a death grip on the wheel and a staring terrified face - go on be honest at least to yourself! :lol:

ofc I do see that - but not always, it's the rdiculous generalisations I take umbrage with.

I would also counter your argument that a driver might be ill driving himself to A&E. If he's ill someone else should be driving as he's impaired and possibly unsafe! Someone else driving him there would be quicker and those seconds difference might mean a lot if his illness needs urgent treatment.

Depends on where you live - I did say I'm less than 2 miles from a major hospital - and other people will be in palces where the ambulance service is further away than the hospital, more and more small ambulance stations are being closed in rural areas.

I would never intentionally endanger another, the guilt would haunt me, however if I feel clearheaded but otherwise require treatement then I'd do the same again. I'm no hero, I'm a fainter when I'm in shock, or too much blood, and have done it enough to recognise the signs; I'm very aware of my limitations.

A very different situation where I live just as others like Roger and Trevanion with that Panda. The culprits around here are well known, totally oblivious to other road users and either bloody minded enough or lack courtesy to to pull over and let the queues pass. The only time you don't see then is when it's dark as they're too scared or too blind to drive at night.
Some of the drivers I'm talking about shouldn't be driving but can because of the easy to cheat system of self declaration on line licence renewal but that's another argument! :roll:

We had to sort that issue with 2 of my own family members.

Elderly I assume.

rafezetter":2vf9a8zt said:
RogerS":2vf9a8zt said:
My point was and I will re-iterate it before you go off on one of your rants again without bothering to read what someone has posted..

My point is that there are some people who, for various reasons, should not be driving on the roads. Capisce ?

I agree - there are some people on the roads that shouldn't be there** - but if you would kindly re-read your post, you didn't cater to any other option BUT "imcompetant, blind or just useless".

See for yourself, there's no caveat for "I also understand there can be legitimate reasons for a vehicle going slowly".

So I just cleared that up in way that left no ambiguity, which your post very much did.

RogerS - If you want the luxury of picking me up on omissions or vague statements when I make a post that doesn't explicitly state every single bloody variable possible; which in turn then requires a VERY LONG /rant post that you seem so fond of denigrating, and you've done both more than a few times in the Brexit thread, then I'll pick you up on your omissions and vague statements too, thanks.

Good for the goose and all that.

Capice?

**and unless you are traffic police, I still hold YOU nor anyone else gets to make that judgement, otherwise you're just another "I'm better than you" arrogant driver as John Brown stated.

Bit touchy today, are we ? You're only reading into my posts what you want to read there. It's called Cognitive Dissonance but no worries...we all do it from time to time.

rafezetter":27pshrgi said:
ofc I do see that - but not always, it's the rdiculous generalisations I take umbrage with.
Definitely my experience in the vast majority of encounters so I wasn't trying to generalise, just saying how I've seen it.

Depends on where you live - I did say I'm less than 2 miles from a major hospital - and other people will be in palces where the ambulance service is further away than the hospital, more and more small ambulance stations are being closed in rural areas.
I would never intentionally endanger another, the guilt would haunt me, however if I feel clearheaded but otherwise require treatement then I'd do the same again. I'm no hero, I'm a fainter when I'm in shock, or too much blood, and have done it enough to recognise the signs; I'm very aware of my limitations.

Yeah we're further away and in our situation I'd have thought much more tempting to be driven to A&E as it can be a long wait for an ambulance where in your case it's likely much quicker.
I'm sure you are level headed enough not to take risks with other peoples lives and didn't intend anything to say you're not but I stick to my point that IMHO people in need of urgent A&E treatment shouldn't drive themselves to hospital. Even if physically capable their mental state in those circumstances has to affect their judgement. Their's always a neighbour, friend or family who can do the driving surely. My wife, daughter and daughter in law are all ex A&E nurses btw and they have first hand experience of what the shock of a trauma does to a persons mental faculties.

Elderly I assume.

Yep. I expanded on that in detail just a few posts ago.

Although I agree that there are some old people driving who shouldn't be, saccording to the statistics, it's young men who have the lons share of the accidents.

RogerS":1zuizvh1 said:
Bit touchy today, are we ? You're only reading into my posts what you want to read there. It's called Cognitive Dissonance but no worries...we all do it from time to time.

RogerS - you fired a shot across the bow, so no not touchy, replying IN KIND.

I really can't be bothered now but another day I might take apart your post and quote you back to yourself pointing pointing out what you said, and what was omitted.

Like I said I just filled the blanks and said there were a lot more possibilites you (and others) hadn't mentioned.

Instead of conceding this to be a probabilty - you decided to fire one across my bow, and now have the nerve to state you think I'm being "touchy" because I replied in the manner you deserved.

Hostility begets hostility and I have the right to defend myself , here or anyplace else.

get used to it.

Last year my cousin was hit by a lorry in her brand new car, he swiped her rear corner and pushed her sideways down the M42 until her alloys were ground flat. Only stopped when he saw the smoke. Police attended, then let him go and left her on the side of the motorway on her own in the middle of the night. He was an agency driver, company didn't care, just paid the insurance and he's free to do it again. Moral of the story? always go faster than the lorries. They will win.

If being tailgated regularly on A/B roads bothers you, you probably drive slowly. Pull over occasionally and let people past. Not difficult... :lol:
shots fired... :twisted:

rafezetter":3s09f5q4 said:
RogerS":3s09f5q4 said:

RogerS - you fired a shot across the bow, so no not touchy, replying IN KIND.

I really can't be bothered now but another day I might take apart your post and quote you back to yourself pointing pointing out what you said, and what was omitted.

Like I said I just filled the blanks and said there were a lot more possibilites you (and others) hadn't mentioned.

Instead of conceding this to be a probabilty - you decided to fire one across my bow, and now have the nerve to state you think I'm being "touchy" because I replied in the manner you deserved.

Hostility begets hostility and I have the right to defend myself , here or anyplace else.

get used to it.

Whatever.

TFrench":2png6x0e said:
Last year my cousin was hit by a lorry in her brand new car, he swiped her rear corner and pushed her sideways down the M42 until her alloys were ground flat. Only stopped when he saw the smoke. Police attended, then let him go and left her on the side of the motorway on her own in the middle of the night. He was an agency driver, company didn't care, just paid the insurance and he's free to do it again. Moral of the story? always go faster than the lorries. They will win.

If being tailgated regularly on A/B roads bothers you, you probably drive slowly. Pull over occasionally and let people past. Not difficult... :lol:
shots fired... :twisted:

That tends to be my course of action rather than get wound up, let them pass.

More than once I have then caught them up, especially on narrow lanes around the lakes etc. Which is slightly ironic, especially when pulling a heavy trailer.

Tapping the brakes usually results in the tailgater ignoring the brake lights when they realise what you're doing. If there are no vehicles in front of you your only options are to either let them pass if you can, or pull in where appropriate and get rid of them.

If you are in a queue of free flowing traffic, just ease back on the accelerator and extend the gap between you and the vehicle in front. This way you will not have to brake so hard if traffic in front slows. You are now less likely to be shunted by the tailgater as they have more time to react to your brake lights as you are not slowing as fast.

Nigel.

Back