Look before you leap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaithcoed

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
About 3 years ago I purchased an Evolution sliding mitre saw, and once set up is a great bit of kit. I used it a lot when helping with my Daughters house conversion and other than blowing off the saw dust now and then I've had to do nothing to it

However lately I've noticed a fair amount of resistance when moving from 90 to 45 degrees. I ignored it until today when in the middle of a job it wouldn't move at all. I set up my workmate bench and started to sort it out.

There were bits of wood in the saw slot that could be the problem so I removed the bits of plastic to remove them.

Still no better so removed the fence but this was not the problem.

I then decided to part the saw from the base but not before finding a tin to put all the screws in.

Getting this apart was more difficult than I thought it should be and it was then I found the problem. :oops: :oops:

The locking knob that you use to lock the blade to the desired angle had worked in and was fouling the base. I never use this as all of the angles that I cut lock in to place anyway.

So after a frustrating time it had to be reassembled.

Of course because I wasn't a planned job I hadn't prepared anything like sweep up the saw dust off the floor, or prepare a proper working space.

That's when the real problem started. I put the saw on to the base and reached for the tin with the screws in and knocked it on the floor.
It's marvellous how many thing a good bed of saw dust can hide. :shock: :shock:

I got my magnet and trawled back and forth and found all the bits except for one screw. I thought it might have gone under my main workbench but when I bought it out I had got loads of screws, bent nails, you name it but not the thing I wanted. :evil:

I emptied the hoover and then hoovered up everywhere and eventually found it. :D :D

So after three very frustrating hours it was back together again and all because I missed the most obvious thing. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

needless to say I said "Oh dear" and went in for a coffee. :roll: :roll:

Alan.

space

gwaithcoed":2lqmnkd3 said:
needless to say I said "Oh dear" and went in for a coffee. :roll: :roll:

Alan.

space

I would of probably sworn :lol:

Bit like changing the headlight bulb as you know it's blown, only to spend 30 mins changing and rechanging it, testing it, fitting other new bulbs, getting your multimeter out to test for voltage, only to realise you've replaced the high beam bulb (which was also blown) and that ain't gonna light up now matter how many times you switch the headlights on.

And that you need to replace the main beam bulb which is sat next to it.

Thankfully no proof it ever happened. LOL

Dibs

hahah!

BTW (I have the same saw) I do make a habit of using the locking knob even for angles that are on notches. It does add stability, and as my saw has never had this problem in over ten years' use, looks like it has another use too!

Keith

Back