Liquid Floor Screed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted this on another forum a couple of weeks ago but no one seemed to have any particular experience so am seeing if any of you guys do. I,m looking to getting 50 odd square metres done at about 65mm thick. I have only used traditional screeds in the past. Stuff I've been warned or read about include different types (its going in a kitchen, dining, sitting room), problems with adhesion of tiles to it (going to be limestone flags). Oh and theres underfloor heating in there as well. Anyone got any general advise, warnings etc to offer while I continue to do my research. Oh and any idea on a fair price, though I'm sure I'll have to pay more in Surrey where we are.

Cheers

Mark

Think I may have already said my bit elsewhere.

We used an anhydrite screed at 65mm with UFH. Think it was this but it was RMC back then https://www.cemex.co.uk/supaflo.aspx. It was laid in a jiffy and very flat. Few problems with cracking. There was one in the narrow hallway but baring in mind that was the only one in 20m length screed I thought that very good and it was only hairline at that. For tilling I had not initially realised that you shouldn't lay tiles straight onto the surface (read the small print). It had to have the surface fines removed and primed to able to bond with the regular cement based tile adhesives. I ground the top off with a 4 1/2 diamond grinder in a morning. Probably the most filthy job of my life and then primed with this stuff http://www.uzin.co.uk/products/product- ... -260-5681/. No problems to date now 7 years on.

I have used this many times and in most cases very good,Just be aware of the drying time which is around 1 mm per day so you would need to leave it for 2 months to dry,I have seen guys lay tile floors to early and end up having to re do the job which can be very costly.

Also, if you have 'wet' underfloor heating - ie pipes, ensure they are full of water and up to pressure, (but NOT HOT), when the screed is laid. I understand this is to prevent any possible pipe collapse, (unlikely though that will be, IMHO)

gregmcateer":48v4x0ca said:
Also, if you have 'wet' underfloor heating - ie pipes, ensure they are full of water and up to pressure, (but NOT HOT), when the screed is laid. I understand this is to prevent any possible pipe collapse, (unlikely though that will be, IMHO)

Yes the pipe need filling but it's not to stop them collapsing but to stop them trying to float on the screed! Apparently it happens quite a bit. The clips dont hold UFH pipes down very firmly and if you miss some the pipes simply float on the liquid screed. First thing our screeders did was check the pipes fixing and that they were filled and also make sure there were no holes in the insulation that the pipes were fixed to as screed can end up escaping underneath the insulation and you end up with the whole lot floating on the screed :shock:

About 10 years ago, I was contracted to fit a kitchen in a new build property. The building of the house had a number of delays throughout the project and the fitting of the kitchen was postponed on a couple of occasions.

I eventually was given a confirmed date for the start of the fit and had been told that they were going to try and catch up on the schedule a bit by using a pumped in liquid floor screed rather than a conventional screed as the drying time was much quicker. The complete ground floor was to be done and it had a wet system underfloor heating in it. Once the screed was dry, 80% of the floor area was to be tiled, all prior to the fitting of the kitchen.

The time arrived and I installed the kitchen and I was practically the last trade in before the Clients moved into the completed house.

8 weeks later, I got a call from the builder to say that I needed to remove the complete kitchen as all the floors were to be dug up and 're screeded coz the whole lot had cracked and tiles were loose everywhere.....!!!

Distinterior":13mf2y60 said:
About 10 years ago, I was contracted to fit a kitchen in a new build property. The building of the house had a number of delays throughout the project and the fitting of the kitchen was postponed on a couple of occasions.

I eventually was given a confirmed date for the start of the fit and had been told that they were going to try and catch up on the schedule a bit by using a pumped in liquid floor screed rather than a conventional screed as the drying time was much quicker. The complete ground floor was to be done and it had a wet system underfloor heating in it. Once the screed was dry, 80% of the floor area was to be tiled, all prior to the fitting of the kitchen.

The time arrived and I installed the kitchen and I was practically the last trade in before the Clients moved into the completed house.

8 weeks later, I got a call from the builder to say that I needed to remove the complete kitchen as all the floors were to be dug up and 're screeded coz the whole lot had cracked and tiles were loose everywhere.....!!!
Exactly what i have seen happen before

Back