Lidl Plunge Saw - Extra Track

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jnw010":1qfz7g1z said:
Why would the factory sell guide rails direct at a loss? What are they loss leading?

Anyway, how are you guys getting on with joining the rail? I've had to file the ends of mine to get it square - it then goes together pretty much dead straight. I'm also using a door handle square bar which is a decent friction fit (I may drill and tap it later) as an additional joiner.
Are there any other tricks or tips?
It could be part of a wider deal that they have with Lidl to cover costs, who knows...it also could be a genuine mistake...

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

A word of caution:-
The Lidl tracks are very good, and cheap replacements are available from Kompernass in pairs, with the joining bars. Just watch where you store them!

I had a nice wee gap between my CH boiler and the wall that would protect them from damage - it did. However, the constant low level heat caused the glue holding the plastic splinter guards to soften and let the rubber guard migrate both horizontally and vertically, rendering them useless. If you use them to align the ends of the track for the cut, as is normal, the cut will be in the wrong place.

Just store then flat, or somewhere cool. I purchased two more sets as they were so cheap, cheaper than buying new rubber strips elsewhere. The only downside was that I had to wait months until they got new stock.

Do you know if they have the option for longer lengths of the track, instead of joining several pieces.

My rubber strip did the same in my garage workshop, only the lidl track though, not my festool.
Not a massive problem, I put them back in place and re-trimmed a fraction of a mm off the edge. The new glue/tape is holding much better.

Just picked up on the additional guide rail offered by Kompernass rang them to order but was quoted £17.?? Still a bargain I suppose but think I joined the party bit too late (again!)

Aluminium extrusion in today's market is amazingly cheap, its a tough market as well. They will be producing this at huge quantities, with the die cost, I imagine, around the <£3k mark a 5 meter length will probably cost them a couple of quid, if not less depending on alloy used and the tonnage at order. They will be manufacturing this in the far east, where it will be anosided as well and shipping it by container loads.

Shipping from Europe can be dirt cheap as well if you have deals in place. I wouldn't be surprised if they use a distribution company to package and send their goods, it makes little sense to do it yourself it you don't do it daily.

I agree, their not making a huge amount of profit, I think their way of thinking is you'll be better off achieving 20% profit and turning over large customer numbers, than 50% profit and fewer customers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well my experience of Kompernass is somewhat different

I emailed them as per Lidl support suggestion - and didn't get a reply for two days.

Then I was told the price including shipping was £19.01

Just a tad different than 18 months ago - no joining bar available either despite my asking.

Price is still cheap enough, but not quite the bargain it was previously, so I only ordered one extra set instead of two.

I'm waiting for it to arrive - but also noticed on the two track sections that came with the saw, the rubber strip was positioned well off where it was supposed to be, protruding too far out as there is a guide for them on the underside, and I had to remove and replace both of them.

I hope that won't be the case for the extra sections, but I'm not hopeful.

When I ordered my extra track from Kompernass I was told that it did not include the jointing bar.
However when the track arrived the bar was included - the packaging was just the same as for the original track.

Same here, I ordered multiple sets, was told no joining bars in stock, but every package of rails contains a joining bar and Allen key.

They don't sell the bar separately, (but it comes in the pack). That's what the confusion comes from.

Yes, the foam cushion on the underside of my tracks was also well off.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sammy.se":3m8zoyqz said:
They don't sell the bar separately, (but it comes in the pack). That's what the confusion comes from.

Yes, the foam cushion on the underside of my tracks was also well off.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ahh I wasn't referring to the foam but the leading edge rubber strip - had I used it as was, I'd have mangled it on the very first use.

I'm quite surprised at how thin the blade kerf is - as supplied just 1.5mm.

Just another update - Despite paying early morning friday I have only just received word of despatch from the factory today, wednedsay - 3 (or 4 if you count saturdays) working days later.

And presumably another week to get to me.

So DO keep that in mind.

I've also asked them why the cost has almost doubled in the last 18 months - coincidentally the same period of Brexit...... make your own minds up on that.

rafezetter":4tgzk56v said:
Ahh I wasn't referring to the foam but the leading edge rubber strip - had I used it as was, I'd have mangled it on the very first use.

That is exactly what you are supposed to do, it makes it zero-clearance for that particular blade.

rafezetter":191pqht0 said:
Well my experience of Kompernass is somewhat different

I emailed them as per Lidl support suggestion - and didn't get a reply for two days.

Then I was told the price including shipping was £19.01

Just a tad different than 18 months ago - no joining bar available either despite my asking.

Price is still cheap enough, but not quite the bargain it was previously, so I only ordered one extra set instead of two.

I'm waiting for it to arrive - but also noticed on the two track sections that came with the saw, the rubber strip was positioned well off where it was supposed to be, protruding too far out as there is a guide for them on the underside, and I had to remove and replace both of them.

I hope that won't be the case for the extra sections, but I'm not hopeful.

Ordered today and price quoted today incl delivery was £17.52 (19.50 EUR)

So either they are making the prices up as they go along or that was the EUR amount :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Could just be that because they are not a retail outfit, they are simply adjusting prices based on commodity or manufacturing prices, i.e. Aluminum.

Even with slightly higher prices (sometimes), I think it's great service and great value.

Mine arrived today via UPS, and through the letterbox(!)

Not sure that is going to do any thing for their accuracy hitting a hardwood floor from a height.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Are there any reviews of the saw kicking about? I’ve seen other posts on the tracks and that it’s on offer again but just wondered if the saw is worth getting or whether it’s worth spending a bit more and getting one from the bigger brands.

Back