Liberon and Holzol (and Polyvine)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used the chestnut but nothing else to compare it to.

I can find only two reviews of the Holzol hard Wax, one of which says it's opaque - which from the details it shouldn't be. A couple of reviews of the Liberon aren't too impressive. I'm tempted to try the Holzol Waxy Oil for a dead matt finish, but 12 hour drying time is a bit slow for my liking.

A waxy oil doesn't feel right for a dead matt finish. I don't have a huge amount of experience so feel free to disregard my input.

I used the Liberon to finish a mahogany desk. I have used Osmo on many occasions. I found it slightly disappointing and flatter compared to Osmo and required more coats than I would have expected. Ultimately it gave an acceptable finish but with more coats obviously the darker it became and as I had used a red oil stain on the mahogany it did lose some of the impact I was looking for.

I ended up trying polyvine wood oil https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/pr ... e-wood-oil . This, according to the blurb is good for furniture, floors, exterior and interior joinery, fences and cladding. Alarm bells should have rung reading that range, but they didn't. :oops:
It is supposed to sink in not form a surface layer. Right ............ the first coat was brilliant - it sunk in completely, and dried dead flat and hard quite quickly. The second coat - nightmare. Three weeks later it was still soft to the touch (indoors, dry and quite warm) and very streaky - some streaks dead flat, some quite glossy.
It isn't a hardwax oil (it doesn't claim to be), it's a varnish. It might be an extremely good varnish for some applications, but furniture isn't one of them. Thankfully this was only on shelves made from oak worktop.
Back to Blanchon, I think. :D

Back