Let's play, whatinthehellisthis?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
Following an unexpected gumtree purchase of a single item that eventually turned into an enormous job lot of >£250, I find myself with a bootload of interesting, baffling and truly grungy/rusty items. Most of the stuff I know what it is, or have googled it, but a couple I'm still baffled by even if I know what they're called. Anyway, rather than boringly doing yet more umgoogling on my own, I thought I might throw it open to the forum for a natter. Is that cool?

I've deliberately hidden the makers names in some photos to allow those in the know to show their knowledge (thereby admitting how old they are). If you don't know, why not guess - just say it's a guess or I might believe you. Obviously some of you will yawn and have seen it all before - in which case, please excuse the noob!

Anyway, for your amusement, and my (and others) further knowledge, here are some pics from the haul:
ANSWERS AND MORE OBVIOUS PICS NOW POSTED ON PAGE 4

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

37018496176_e35c8fc897_z.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 1,488
  • IMG_4410.jpg
    IMG_4410.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 1,488
  • IMG_4402.jpg
    IMG_4402.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 1,488
  • IMG_4464.jpg
    IMG_4464.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 1,488
  • 37018496176_e35c8fc897_z.jpg
    37018496176_e35c8fc897_z.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,488
NazNomad":3fnhj0c0 said:
No.1 - I've got a few of those and still use them.

I had to google that, still not terribly sure about how they're used. Can you fill us in with whatever you know later when more puzzling has been done.

I know 1 to 4 but 5 is a puzzler. Did it come from somewhere rural?

I posted pictures of a No 4 in the last few weeks.

2 is nice to have but they don't fetch much on eBay.
I do agree that no 1 is hard work. I posted about a more mechanical option a couple of months ago.

AndyT":20fx0v4q said:
I know 1 to 4 but 5 is a puzzler. Did it come from somewhere rural?

I posted pictures of a No 4 in the last few weeks.

2 is nice to have but they don't fetch much on eBay.
I do agree that no 1 is hard work. I posted about a more mechanical option a couple of months ago.

5 came from an semi near Bristol. Not in the least rural. I've no idea what it is, and expect it to be [a] related to cars or for tightening ping pong nets. Your guess is as good as mine!

As for 2, it's a nice bonus. Everyone probably knows what it's for, but I'd never heard of or seen one before (of this make that is).

Ah, I was wondering if no 5 was for ear tagging sheep or something like that, but probably not. It could be so many things. Maybe even for removing balance weights from wheel rims? There are so many special plier type tools, it's possibly the hardest category.

phil.p":1jtcav9a said:
No.1 ..... not your favourite tools if you were brought up with a builder in granite country. :cry:

I can imagine how that might be a bit soul destroying :-D

Was there anything hidden under the black rubber plug on no 2?

#2 as it happens I was given one a few weeks back. This one has a plastic grip and a date stamp on the box suggests 1977 although the horizontal parts of the 7s haven't printed but the angle of the obliques looks as if they are 7s

Attachments

• plane02.jpg
    plane02.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 1,376
#1 look like woodturning gouges that may fit into the handles. Granite drills tend to have facetted sides don't they.

Stanley planes are pretty common, Mitor planes much less so.
Made in Harpenden, and you can't say that about many tools.

Also, afaik it's the only design of plough to feature a choice of cutter position, with a forward setting suitable for stopped grooves.

AndyT":3f3t7y9z said:
Stanley planes are pretty common, Mitor planes much less so.
Made in Harpenden, and you can't say that about many tools.

Also, afaik it's the only design of plough to feature a choice of cutter position, with a forward setting suitable for stopped grooves.

Have you got one?

"for tightening ping pong nets....." excellent :D

"It was fully loaded!".....with the cutters?......good idea for a mobile kit.

If No 4 is related to augers and I hope you don't want it as I can give it a good home with lots of company., ive just quenched my thirst with my final purchase of augers.....i think i've got them all...twice, dont tell my wife tho

What with the blockplane :?:

Regards,
Dave

Back