Legacy ornamental mill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyn

Established Member
Reaction score
Does any one on here have a legacy and if so what do they think of it ? Does it do all that the makers claim?
What are the bad points?
Is it a usefull tool or something you use twice then wish you had'nt bothered?

Hi Martyn

I've seen the Legacy on a couple of occasions and I've been very impressed. When I looked, iirc, you couldn't really do anything with the entry model so you were into spending at least 1K.

So for me, the down side was the cost and the amount of space that it takes.

Cheers
Neil

PS JFC, where are you?

Martyn":34q8z971 said:
Does any one on here have a legacy and if so what do they think of it ? Does it do all that the makers claim?
What are the bad points?
Is it a usefull tool or something you use twice then wish you had'nt bothered?

Ihave the Legacy 2000,the largest one that they make. Its the only one of that particular model outside North America,(so I'm told).
It will put a twist on a 13"x11ft column! To date,the biggest that I've done is 10"x102". It will do much more than just twist work though, it needs to,at £7,800,including shipping and taxes,plus about another £1800 for the vast range of cutters that, like so many other things, are just not available in GB.
The equivalent hydraulic lathe with matching twist capacity costs in the region of £30k, so, from that point of view, I consider it money well spent, however,I do think that its overpriced for what it is, but, not for what it can do, if that makes sense!

Problems?, not much really, a bit of fettling here and there,just to make everything run nice and smooth. A few problems regarding some parts,(quite a few actually),missing when the machine was delivered,but Roger at Woodworkers Workshop eventually sorted it out,he actually delivered the wayward items himself.Be warned! If you should have cause to contact Legacy direct,well, they don't "do"Customer Service,emails and phone calls do not get returned,why should they!they've had their money,"stuff you"seems to be the prevailling attitude at Legacy HQ.
In the longer term, Ican see problems with the gear wheels,they appear to be stamped rather than machine cut and the steel seems on the soft side, so if, like me you run the machine for up to 7 hours a day, I don't think they'll last very long,time will tell.
Overall,whilst it will never replace my lathe, with its 14ft bed,nor any other machine, come to that, it is a machine that I could'nt be without, and my customers are very impressed!
TC

OOOOOOO you snuck that one in when i wasn't looking :lol:
I had the 900 and have done an upgrade to the 1200 . First the bad point , The cost , thats it as far as i can see .
I think it depends what you do as to if its worth the money . Myself i think it will earn money and brings my work up to a higher standard aswell as adding to the things i can make .
I could go on and on :lol: but if you call roger at woodworkers workshop he will send you a load of info including dvds of what this machine can do .
I don't regret buying mine and im waiting for the day the minimal look goes out and people start liking fancy mouldings again .

Yes i have the dvd from Roger thats what started off the search for more info.I am arranging with TC to take a look when he is using his. Seems he is only in the next county.
I have also read some of your posts on the legacy and read the review on the web.Do you agree with the authors comments?
I look forward to seeing it in action but i'm still unsure on a purchase. I know i can get some work for it from the people i work for now but it won't be enough to warrant buying it on its own. Maybe when i've seen what it can do i will be convinced.

Obviously the bigger you get the better it is as you can do larger work , i still need some parts to go with my upgrade like circle turning center and other bits that i had for the 900 that now dont fit . Once ive got them you welcome to come and play but theres a waiting list :lol:

Oh boy did I ever make a mistake buying the REVO Craftsman,I can't get it to do anything right,I thought it would outdo my lathe,I can turn a thing faster than I can set-up a piece on the REVO,I tried a rope turn twist pen,wow,a flying disaster,either I'm going gaga or I've forgotten all the principals,as for buying the larger models, it looks to me like they would only be good for large twist turnings and columns,otherwise you are only using the end area same as the REVO,32 between cntr.and very wobly unless bolted down to work top,I've watched umpteen you tube vids,and try to put into practice,I'm giving it a month and then it's in the tip,thank's for reading my moan, GOB.

I bought the 1200 with all of the bells and whistles at the time.Since then they have a cnc machine that attaches to it.Everything is an upgrade,and it came in a box with all parts in separate bags,I had to put the whole thing together myself.Some of the things it will do is make you a better math student.It does a lot of different things,I enjoy it a lot.It does take up a bit of room in my carving room,but its got its special things it does.I can work 5 ft pieces up to 12"around,and turn table tops up to 4 ft.with inlays. My lathe won`t do that.And it cost me $3200.00 at the time,plus bits....Worth every penny...

GOBEEN":3vkvpfil said:
Oh boy did I ever make a mistake buying the REVO Craftsman,I can't get it to do anything right,I thought it would outdo my lathe,I can turn a thing faster than I can set-up a piece on the REVO,I tried a rope turn twist pen,wow,a flying disaster,either I'm going gaga or I've forgotten all the principals,as for buying the larger models, it looks to me like they would only be good for large twist turnings and columns,otherwise you are only using the end area same as the REVO,32 between cntr.and very wobly unless bolted down to work top,I've watched umpteen you tube vids,and try to put into practice,I'm giving it a month and then it's in the tip,thank's for reading my moan, GOB.
Hi
Did you ever get rid of the Revo, if not I would like to have a chat about it, I have one and get on O.K. with it,, I am in the U.K and like to find other owners.
Thanks
Richard

Latest posts

Back