Leasing workshop space

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for advice on leasing an industrial unit or similar for 6 months or so.

Two reasons: my current workshop is too small and I don't want to invest more in rebuilding it/ extending since we are planning on moving at some point in the near future.

Secondly there are a couple of potential large projects coming up that I want to be able to work on in parallel (plus potentially keep some work stability if we manage to sell before buying a new place).

I haven't even begun to look but I wondered if those of you out there have experience of these things would offer some advice re what sort of questions to ask, what arrangements work best and possibly even some idea of what I should expect to pay. What mistakes can you help me avoid?

Also if there is anyone near me (I'm in south Herefordshire) with a suitable building please PM me!

Cheers

Tim

Tim, when you find the unit you want ask what you will get for the price.
Is water included, are rates included, electricity or gas. Are you responsible for insurance, ask them if you have to provide extinguishers if not ask them to tell you what type( it will affect any claims that may be made if you have the wrong ones).
Find out about access and times of.
If on the other hand you find a friendly farmer they usually have barns sitting empty, but then you will have to heat them which can be expensive. If you do find one then it will usually be done on a handshake. Beware those kinds of deal have a habit of going wrong.
Trawl the local industrial units often people will share and if it's only a short time they will be more inclined to go ahead, after all you'll be sharing half the rent, make sure the landlord knows.
Above all get everything in writing.
Have PM'd you

Dom

Tim my advice is make sure the building you end up in is well insulated, otherwise come the winter you are going to have all sorts of problems.

Most areas/councils have a SMALL BUISNESS DEPARTMENT that are EU subsidiced. You should be able to rent off them on a monthly basis at a reasonable rate.

Koolwabbit

Back