Lathe stopped working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose539

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping someone could advise me.
My Jet JWL-1221VS Woodturning Lathe made a popping sound last week and now it will not work?
I have checked the plug fuse and all the workshop electrics, they are fine which leaves me at a loss.
Thanks
Tom

It may (probably has) have capacitor that kick starts the motor. They can go pop. Look for a small cylinder about 3" long by 1.5" diameter with a pair of wires coming out of it. The value in V and uF will be on it and a replacement will be a few quid.

Nev it looks like it maybe a DC motor.

jet.jpg

Attachments

• jet.jpg
    jet.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 516
Darn new fangled electronical gadgets #-o

In that case Mr. Goose the few quid fix looks unlikely. My next step would be to start tracing voltages with a multimeter, but if you are un-sure how to do that best get someone who knows in order to not electrocute yourself.

Pure guesswork on my part but I would assume that if its not something like a loose or broken connection that its going to be either the control panel printed circuit board or the motor. If it doesn't power up at all then I'd suspect the pcb. Jet or a main dealer (Axminster?) may be able to point you in the right direction.

Without knowing your electrical knowledge, how have you checked the fuse?

Best to confirm the basics before delving into an electronic board.

Back