lathe attachment for a Poolewood 28/40

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turneagle

Reaction score
Hi all
Being a newcomer to forums at 65 i need help in finding either plans for or way to bye the large diameter bowl attachment for a Poolewood 28/40 woodturning lathe. many thanks Turneagle

Hi turneagle welcome to the forum sorry I can't help you but if you post in woodturning you may get more answers I know there are some poolewood lathe users on there

OK, off that call so I have 5 mins. The outriger is made largely from scaffolding tube. The holes in the casting for the original bed extension are scaffolding diameter (which is a standard tube size) which I think is 48.3mm???). The fittings are either scaffolding or railing (for scaffold diameter tubes) fittings. Scaffold pipes are nominal and many are slightly oversize so some light grinding of the tubes may be required to fit them through the casting.

The only bit I needed to get made was an extension tube to raise the toolrest from bango height.

Scaffold tubes are rough and I did sometimes have issues with the banjo rocking. The solution to this is to either get non-galvanized tube of the right diameter. I still have the original bed bars and these would be ideal although they are a little rusty as they were in the rain for a couple of days.

Another option is to find a new banjo and get a bed extension from another lathe. I suspect this would be a better solution. I have done something similar on my new lathe. I reused the Poolewood bench (cut down, wider stance with adjustable feet, beefed up one end panel and added drop extension bed there. I have found this solution to work really well. I can probably take a photo of that later in the day if it will help.

I have promised another forum member first dibs on the parts (I have not forgotten, just been busy) but the riser may be available if you wanted to take the scaf route. A also have all the fittings and the bars but heavy to post and they have some value to me for other projects.

BM

I was going to add that I did have the free standing rest and I do still have most of it..... cut the feet up and welded them to the bottom of my lathe bench not more than a week ago :oops:

Still, I have the complex part. You could easily get some new legs. Personally I would opt for three legs or maybe go simple and weld the post onto a wheel and tyre - filling the tyre with concrete. I expect this means nothing to you if you don't know what the free standing rest looks like....

BM

The extension Jon pointed out is certainly cheap, especially as it includes the banjo. Assuming you have the Poolewood bench with the pressed steel sides you can easily mount it to your bench but you will need to beef up the sides. You would need to mount it out either out front or on the headstock end on the 2840. Out front and orientated left of centre of the headstock worked well for my scaff solution so should also work an extension bed. I don't have the bed fitted at the moment but you can hopefully see the arrangement on my new lathe. I slide the headstock down to the tailstock end and turn off the end of the bench. The bench is the Poolewood one with a 10mm plate welded off to the left. The plate has taped holes to mount the extension. There is 2" angle welded in vertically to stop the 10mm plate flexing (yes it might otherwise) and another piece out of sight in the sand compartment to stop horizontal flex. Finally I welded in some box to give a wider footprint and adjustable legs (that is where the freestanding toolrest legs went....). I like having the outboard attachment off centre as I can get more reach more of the bowl, especially the outside whilst still keeping the headstock orientated with the bed. Banjo extension arms add additional flex and chatter so if you can avoid it then great. Hope it gives you some ideas?

I have yet to try a bowl I could not fit over the bed on the new lathe - just a matter of time - but I have tried the extension on a smaller bowl and it is very stable. If there is any flex (minimal) it is mainly in the riser, not the extension bed and bench.

14804393530_8f5bf0e7e7_c.jpg

14804520737_ab72c41090_c.jpg

14990716342_2fa738db84_c.jpg

I was just about to recycle the riser for a hollowing gate so if you are interested in the scaff approach you need to shout if you want it.

EDIT - confusing a bit in the photos as the tailstock is actually on the headstock end to keep it out of the way...

BM

Thanks to every body who posted replies to my request please keep them coming it`s all good information for me to choose an answer to my problem.

If you are holding out for an OEM large turning attachment you 'may' get lucky but I expect you are in for a long wait. This means DIY is your best bet or buy a fee standing rest such as the Jet one sold by Axminster. I have only seen one DIY attempt on the 28-40 and that is mine. I am sure there are others, just not seen them and I looked when I made mine. Sadly it is in pieces and was not the best. If you are interested in this I can probably give you a parts list. The original OEM bowl attachment had a custom banjo so unless you fancy making your own castings this is not an option.

That leaves what I think is the best suggestion, buy extension bed as Jon suggested and improvise. You have not told us what bench you have - this would help, along with some photos. Assuming it is the OEM Poolewood bench you may get away with drilling and bolting but welding will be better. Can you weld? If you are interested in this I can elaborate a bit on what I have just done to my bench, you will still need to adapt as I now have a different lathe but the principle is the same.

I can't think of another viable option but there are resourceful people on this forum. However expecting full engineering drawings and spec is probably not realistic.

BM

Hi bogmonster

Many thanks for your reply it would help to have a parts list and dimensions,I have the original poolewood 28/40 bench i also have the Record free standing rest but there is to much chatter from this,I do weld and have access to some materials if u could send a list i would be
very gratefull and half way there.

Chris.

Hi there, I've just got a 28-40 variable speed poolewood and looking for the LD attachment.
Did you manage to get one or make the one from bogmonsters plans?
Cheers

Back