Lathe and Bandsaw maintenance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have spent the last few months getting a shed up and running and now have my lathe out of storage along with my bandsaw.

Before i go and plugging them all in willy nilly and see how they have held up, they have been in storage for about 8 years, the lathe is a CL3 and the Bandsaw is a 12" SIP model. do i need to pay particular attention to any sort of maintenance before starting them up, i was going to give them a good rub down with a bit of wire wool as there is some rust on some bits and oil (3 in 1) any joints i could see but thought i would find out if there is something obvious i should pay attention too????

Thanks all

Get some decent protective oil to keep the rust away. I have used metalguard ultra from the Toolpost for many years and my lathe and bandsaw still look pretty good after several years. This is a drying oil/wax mix.
If the lathe is one of those with phosphor bronze bearings, make sure the oiler isn't empty before you start the lathe.

Hand turn all the moving parts before powering up. If a bearing is seized and you dont know about it you will put a lot of strain on the motor and could even cause damage to the motor as well as other parts.

As long as the motor isnt electrically braked, even spin the motor my hand to free up any whiskers and check bearings.

Duck oil on the lathe once in a blue moon for mine, and as mentioned ensure the oiler is topped up.

Alie Barnes":1lubpawv said:
I have always used HSS is Carbide better?

HSS is the norm carbide has its place and is becoming more fashionable. I have carbide tipped fixed hollowing set up and a couple of tipped gouges. Get the basics right with standard tools as it is the basis for all turning work. Get some time in with an experienced turner, it will save a lot of frustration and speed you on the way to the "dark art" or woodturning........

If you have a set of good hss tools stick with them How much experiance do you have turning wood .If you are starting out there is a three carbide chisel`s that will get you going .
Get a proper grinding wheel and a grinding jig set .If you have any questions pm a contact number and we can have a chat about your set up .I have just redone my turning workshop I will try and post some pic`s when I can .

Gerry

Back