Kitchen Alcove (WIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah now that is my exact problem too guys, too many jobs at once. Where di you get the Program Outlook Brad? Only outlook I know of is Outlook express for my e-mails. At the moment I use a diary but tend to 'fit other jobs in between. :roll:

As Mick says, Outlook comes with Microsoft Office, which came already installed on my machine.

The 'Calander' function, which is what I am referring to, works just like a diary except you can modify, alter, and play around with entries as circumstances change.

You can also use it to store vast amounts of information. Lets say that you are due to start making Mrs Jones's wardrobe on June 10th. You might want to order the materials on June 3rd - so make an entry in Outlook's calander to remind you. You can add to this entry the shopping list of materials you are going to need. I do all this sometimes months in advance while the job is fresh in my mind after taking the initial order.

Then, on June 3rd, when you turn on your computer with your first cup of tea of the day, up pops a little screen reminding you, amongst everything else you've got on that day, to buy Mrs Jones's materials. Drill down and up comes the shopping list.

This is just one example of what it can do. I haven't even begun to use it to its full potential yet.

For a disorganised absent minded buffoon like me it is absolutely invaluable. I don't suppose anyone else is much different!

Cheers
Brad

If you've not got access to Outlook there's a number of online project management tools which include calendars (and to do lists etc). Google calendar is also excellent, particularly as it allows you to have more than one calendar and switch them on and off as required. For example, my wife has shared her calendar with me which means I can switch it on and off in my calendar view to see where she's at.

(Not quite what you're after but this one always amuses me: http://www.pocketmod.com)

BradNaylor":2y3h7cq1 said:
If you can have five jobs on the go at once then your workshop is too big!

Cheers
Brad

I much prefer running at least 4 or 5 jobs together, speeds things up.
My record is running about 200 doors at the same time for 7 jobs.
Saves having to break spindle moulders down etc.
Usually I can make all the drawer boxes at the same time plus framework even if its different timber.
As a professional it makes no sense to me doing one job at a time.

You're taking me too literally, Doc!

Of course I'll batch together doors and drawers where possible, but in general I like to concentrate on one job at a time. For me it's a question of mental focus as much as anything else.

I'm probably just getting to an age where thinking of more than one thing at a time is becoming stressful!

:lol:

Give it time, Doc!

And I wasn't joking about the space thing. Phil and I have 800 sq ft to work in and the spray booth takes up a big chunk of that. There really isn't room for us to be working on more than one small job each or maybe a kitchen or bedroom between us at any one time.

Cheers
Brad

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I book-marked this as a guide for doing my own kitchen cabinet doors and face frames. Coming back to it, Photobucket have changed their service for non-premium users and the pictures no longer seem accessible. I don't suppose Jonnyd or someone else who saved them could fix the images in this post?

Back