Jubilee clip alternatives?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevM

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the years, and after developing a deep and abiding loathing of Hozelock/Gardena (plastic or metal) and similar generic style connectors, I've converted all my outside tap and garden hose connectors to 40mm claw 'Geka' style connectors; they're fantastically robust in use and my hoses don't leak a drop and never pop off. I even managed to source a great quality rotary joint from an Alba Krapf distributor in Germany which sorted the connection to the hose reel problem.

Now the downside, the connectors use a barbed shank to slide inside the hose which must then be clamped with a Jubilee clip or similar; this works fine but it can make coupling and un-coupling the connectors hard work with sharp bits of metal to gouge the unwary hand. So, can anyone suggest an affordable alternative that doesn't need special tooling for up to ~25mm diameter? My current plan is just to bind the existing jubilee clip with self-amalgamating/Scotch tape, but I'd be interested to hear of other options.

(40mm claw fittings - http://www.lsengineers.co.uk/water-fitt ... tings.html)

V Band clamp. I tend to use those for pretty much everything from turbos to exhaust joints. Not 100% sure if they do them that small but should be easy enough to find out.

Hi

Vehicle type hose clips will fit the bill - you can grind off the projections once fitted for a smoother profile

Hose Clip.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Hose Clip.png
    Hose Clip.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 5,655
Hi

Vee band clamps are designed to be used in conjunction with solid pipes / ducts with suitably flanged ends and internal seals

Vee Band.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Vee Band.png
    Vee Band.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 5,622
Hi

What's wrong with the vehicle hose spring clip option? - they work well enough in pressurised car systems

Regards Mick

They'd probably work fine if I could reliably grind off the tabs without knackering me or the hose. Inspired by the suggestion I came across these chaps "OETIKER 2-Ear Clamps" which look like I could crimp them up with a pair of pincers.

http://www.webbair.co.uk/buynow.php?cid ... 9413&num=1
oetpic.jpg

Attachments

• oetpic.jpg
    oetpic.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 5,597
Hi

To get that type of clamp to close correctly you need to prevent the flat section bending away from the hose - this is a tool for setting those clamps

Mikalor.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Mikalor.png
    Mikalor.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 5,576
Spindle":2xzvmioz said:
Hi

To get that type of clamp to close correctly you need to prevent the flat section bending away from the hose - this is a tool for setting those clamps

Regards Mick

Sorry to contradict but you only need the special pliers that you refer to if the height of the crimp is a problem.
These clips can be crimped with pincers or tile cutters.
link to recommended tools. http://www.oetiker.com/en/Products#/?l0 ... 001B4659E0

So the dedicated tool crimps and flattens the ear at the same time? Sounds like I might be able to achieve a reasonable fit with regular pincers and a little tippy tappy hammer to flatten the ear after I've squeezed it? I'm only going to make a couple of dozen crimps/swages on garden hose, so speed/integrity isn't really that important.

KevM":1neadsy0 said:
They'd probably work fine if I could reliably grind off the tabs without knackering me or the hose. Inspired by the suggestion I came across these chaps "OETIKER 2-Ear Clamps" which look like I could crimp them up with a pair of pincers.

http://www.webbair.co.uk/buynow.php?cid ... 9413&num=1

For anybody interested I found this short video showing installation and removal of Oetiker twin ear clips, overkill for my garden hose maybe but hey-ho it keeps the economy grinding along and (probably!) isn't hurting anyone.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=10529461001

I intend picking some clamps up from a local stockist this week - then let the games commence!

Attachments

• oetpic.jpg
    oetpic.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 4,612
In a previous job , we made up Oxy/Acetylene hoses with those clamps. So it might be worth taking your hose and fittings with you and "borrow" the clamping-pliers whilst at the shop.
That way if you crimp/clamp too hard and break the band (done a few when stronger and less wise) another 20p is no big deal.

Alex.

The old school way of crimping the above clamps is to split a suitably sized nut across the points, and use a set of Mole Grips to apply the pressure.

Kev...

I empathise with you on the problem, but I never needed an alternative for 'Jubilee Clips'. Figured that's why they've been around since god's dog was a puppy. I don the old gloves when I mess with them mind.

John

I just tape them, if they're going to be handled. I've always used stick tape (hockey), which works well, and doesn't leave sticky residue when removed.

I'm here because I searched the same - though answered my own question with some more research.

You can now get a Geka to the screw on hose clamps you normally see from the other lot - looks secure but needs more testing. Costs quite a bit though (~£6). They're bulky so a bit easier to decouple the Geka connectors under pressure.

What I had done first though, is to buy a 5/8" size instead of 1/2" - and force it on after putting the end in warm water - takes a lot of effort as the warm flexible pipe doesn't really let you push either. Advantage is the flow is slightly better as the hole in the barb is bigger than the 1/2".

Zip ties.

Pull a large-section zip tie tight with a pair of pliers and snip off the excess. This will hold really high pressures, and many a Landrover has crossed Africa with zip ties holding its radiator hoses in place. Quick, cheap, and easy.....and works every bit as well as any of the proprietry solutions you've been offered.

Back