Jig to cut triangula staves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjmc1957

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

First time I've used this forum, I'm much more of a reader than a writer, however I need some ideas, I need to SAFELY cut 32" - 36" long scalene triangle staves, longest side will be about 5". I've attempted it on the table saw, works for the first angle but not for the second, haven't tried on the band saw yet but seems to me that the same issues arise, easy to cut the first angle but how to hold the wood for the second angle.....any one got any ideas.

Thanks

Kevin

If you can't cut the third side accurately on the saw, consider making a sled for your P/T. I have made glazing beads this way in the past. It works very well.

+1 for the canted thicknesser sled.

To make the components for faceted Ruhlmann style furniture legs, that were similar to your dimensions, I made a sled that fully supported the components throughout their length at the correct angle and just fed them through the thicknesser. Worked a treat.

I'm confused (not difficult when it comes to furniture),
is a triangle is 32" how can the longest side be 5"?
#-o :?:

Hi Steve and Custard

A sled seems the way to go, I had thought of running it over the planer but not under it, fortunately for my needs I can do this in shorter lengths as the finished staves only need to be 8" - 10" long.

Sunnybob, think of an irregular Toblerone, only 36" long............... yum yum yum

Nope, still cant visualise a 36" triangle with the longest side 5"

Are we talking about a straight and thick plank of wood angled on both long edges to provide a 5" height in the middle?
That I can understand. 8) :shock:

I think the OP refers to a prism with scalene triangular cross section.
A scalene triangle is one where all three sides are different lengths. in this case the longest side of the cross section is 5"

I think that was a technical description of my basic understanding.
Satisfied. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Back