Jam chucks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heronviewer

Established Member
Reaction score
I've tried searching for "jam chuck" and "jam+chuck" and all I get is about chucks !

However, I've made a few small pots and used a jam chuck to finish off the bottom. I was using oak and that seemed OK, but I have just made one out of cherry. I finished the side with a wax polish and it looked OK, but after cleaning off the bottom and taking it out of the chuck, I have a small ring mark around the top of the pot. I don't think the pot rotated in the chuck, so it is maybe just caused by holding a relatively soft wood in a jam chuck.

Has anyone any ideas on how to do this without leaving a mark ? I suppose I could rub it down lightly and refinish the top, but I'd prefer to avoid that.

Never had a problem with getting marks on the inside unless as you stated the piece slips. Sometimes it pays to make the jam chuck just slightly loose and then use a piece of white kitchen paper towel which then will bring it to a nice tight fit this helps stop marring the wood as well as giving a better grip between the jam chuck and the work piece you can also use some of the stuff like router mat but be careful as some of the cheaper ones can mark the work

Thanks.

The mark is on the outside of the pot - I made the jam fit on that, not the inside. Are you making the jam on a spigot fitting inside the pot ?

heronviewer":3m0p69wh said:
Thanks.

The mark is on the outside of the pot - I made the jam fit on that, not the inside. Are you making the jam on a spigot fitting inside the pot ?

Does not matter whether you jam chuck on the inside or outside the principle is the same I use both ways depending on the item shape I am dealing with and which will give the best hold

Back